advertisement

On the shelf at Avondale.

Lefty, I've had a decent listen and it all seems to be there in the right place. There might be a slight shift forward in the mids compared to the Teddyreg. Other than the requirement for heatsinking the crap out of the TPR2 via the case work there's no apparent downside. They even cost the same give or take a couple of quid.

Hi,

I would like to know what the story is behind the LP12 modification that has been mentioned.

I still have my LP12 and would not like to part with it and knowing Les's ability to give great value for money along with great innovation I wonder if any information might be forthcoming?

I wait with interest developments.

Cheers

John

Hi,

I would like to know what the story is behind the LP12 modification that has been mentioned.

I still have my LP12 and would not like to part with it and knowing Les's ability to give great value for money along with great innovation I wonder if any information might be forthcoming?

I wait with interest developments.

Cheers

John

Now that the cat's well and truly out of the bag, a short taster might not go amiss:

Many years ago, I developed a new chassis and top plate for the LP12, the prototype of which lies on the floor next to me here. It didn't sound like a Linn although it did play music with an authority the original LP12 could only hint at. After some lengthy castigation from the great man in Glasgow, I decided not to tread on too many toes and only produced a handful of these conversions to be enjoyed by the owners. In any event, I've had loads to keep me occupied in other projects so this one slipped under the radar onto the 'back burner'. Now that things have moved on and that listening tastes have changed over time, I feel the opportunity has at last arrived to revisit the old girl and give her a fresh lease of life.

Consisting of: A CNC machined anodised alloy top plate with revised spring locations to bring the dynamic stablity up to date and with more consistent mounting points rather than the previous reliance on the springy nature of a bit of stainless plate - (no, it won't need an extra bolt in one corner to make it work properly). Fitted, is an advanced sub-chassis formed from a carbon fibre laminate onto which the bi-metal chassis proper is compliantly mounted. This last technique ensure that little noise is transmitted into the sprung assembly from other areas. I've also done away with the silly diving board on which the tonearm is mounted and which only serves to introduce a level of colouration to the proceedings. The new chassis accepts the smallest possible arm board in the certain knowledge that if it aint there, it can't add anything. The drive motor is now mounted in a more appropriate position which results in the usual arm dressing ritual (far from being an exact science), being a thing of the past.

Marketing: John Ruggles 'Sole' is now well regarded in the world of the LP12, so we've consolidated our already close relationship and reached an aggreement for John to market, install and service this conversion of the LP12 turntable as an addition to his already well established products. John will be making the announcement through his channels when the conversion is ready for audition.

Future: I may be persuaded to relaunch the TAPS power unit to go with the LP12 but again, watch for postings on my site and on John's.

I hope that explains a little of what's going on here but as always, a chat over the telephone will be welcomed should anyone need further info.

Thanks to all for reading, Les

Very interesting to hear this Les! Perhaps I will keep my LP12 after all instead of trading in for an NAS or Gyro as you recently suggested!

I have in fact recently contacted John R regarding the Sole sub-chassis as my probable next step. Quick question though, your mod seems to be an alternative to the Sole rather than a complimentary upgrade i.e. the two are mutually exclusive, is this correct?

TAPS also with 45rpm would be good!

Regards

Anthony

Finally managed to grab a few seconds to snap some pics so here's the new TPR2.

And that's the new MSX shunt supply. (if you're wondering why it's as dirty as crap that's because I assembled it and hadn't cleaned it down before taking the shot)

Les, will these supplies be available through your webshop? I'm wondering about building a power amp and would like to copy your idea of giving the input and driver transistors a separate supply from the output transistors.

Very interesting to hear this Les! Perhaps I will keep my LP12 after all instead of trading in for an NAS or Gyro as you recently suggested!

I have in fact recently contacted John R regarding the Sole sub-chassis as my probable next step. Quick question though, your mod seems to be an alternative to the Sole rather than a complimentary upgrade i.e. the two are mutually exclusive, is this correct?

TAPS also with 45rpm would be good!

Regards

Anthony

Hi Anthony.

The "Sole" sub-chassis is so successful it is going to continue alongside the "collaboration" LP12 upgrade kit Lew refers to.. This is going to be such a radical departure from the usual 3rd party upgrade chassis currently available (including the Sole) it should acutually appeal to those who feel the LP12 (musically) is no longer for them.

So rather than perhaps totally move away from it; the new kit will include a very nice top plate, a small arm-board, a complete re-design of the suspension including the springs and geometry. So what will be retained? Well we feel all the better parts of the LP12 - the nice quality plinth, main bearing (although we've discussed changes to this too), sub platter, main platter, belt and lid.

So there'll be elements of classic LP12 styling with a clean modern take to the top plate and most importantly the sound. This fits in neatly with my not wishing to see LP12's broken and sold for spares. Regardless of what an individual may think they are an iconic TT to look at, even if you don't particularly like the Linn sound. So have a different sounding and slight differently looking LP12 instead !

More in the near future...

John R.

Les, will these supplies be available through your webshop? I'm wondering about building a power amp and would like to copy your idea of giving the input and driver transistors a separate supply from the output transistors.

I'm steadily adding product to the site to gauge the reaction so the answer is a definite yes. The TPR2 has been added today and the MSX will follow in a day or two.

Les
What advantage does the new TPR have over the old one. I have a Snaps fitted with the originals powering my Prefix, wondering if its worth upgrading.

Is the LP12 modification similar to the one heard at Chesterfield show a few years back Les.It was sounding really good then even though it was still work in progress.

John

I'm steadily adding product to the site to gauge the reaction so the answer is a definite yes. The TPR2 has been added today and the MSX will follow in a day or two.

Just to clarify, the TPR2 will be available as a complete module, and the MSX being the fully built supply. Not as a seperate module for DIY.

kind regards

Ben

advertisement

Back