advertisement

Nottingham Analogue (Space Deck) VS Rega/Linn/Michell etc.

You need to be strong :)...(platter alone is i.r.o. 24 kg)

I’ll be strong :D now I understand why the shop where I found a used one told me it was way better for me to come and take it by myself... still 3 hours driving but ready to do it if the deal go further...

I'd say you heard the NA TTs either poorly set up or with the wrong tonearm and cartridge, they're definitely not boring, slow or uninvolving . Either the Hyperspace or Dais with the correct choice of tonearm and cartridge they play rock music better than the various Regas, Voyd, Thorens , Gyrodecks I've owned, better in every aspect, put the wrong tonearm on one, say an SME IV and it will sound uninvolving and boring. I'm speaking from the experience of owning a Hyperspace and trying quite a few good quality tonearms on it. I only tried an SME 10 TTfor a short period but couldn't put up with the motor whine. I don't listen to jazz or classical.
I can only share from what I heard. In both cases the Nothingam were fitted with the nothingam arm. So perhaps it was more the arm , and with another arm the sound could be more involving. I don’t know. It’s very possible.

That's a really old one from before the company was called Nottingham Analogue. Totally different design.

I can only share from what I heard. In both cases the Nothingam were fitted with the nothingam arm. So perhaps it was more the arm , and with another arm the sound could be more involving. I don’t know. It’s very possible.

The first tonearm I had on the Hyperspace was a Nottingham Analogue Mentor tonearm, the Hadcock 242se was better IMO, it stayed, next I tried a Roksan Tabriz ZI tonearm, once again I preferred the Hadcock, next was the SME IV, despite the price and build quality/finish differences I preferred the Hadcock again, next was an SME M2-10, excellent tonearm, different presentation from the Hadcock but equally enjoyable. They both stayed on the Hyperspace until I sold it all.

That's a really old one from before the company was called Nottingham Analogue. Totally different design.
Heavy engineering as are all Nottingham Analogue turntables but this Dais was a suspended design. Sounded a lot better though, with the suspension locked down. A lovely deck and the last one I had sold for £1200.

Heavy engineering as are all Nottingham Analogue turntables but this Dais was a suspended design. Sounded a lot better though, with the suspension locked down. A lovely deck and the last one I had sold for £1200.

Yes, I remember reading about it and the comment was that it sounded better with the suspension not in use, was the company called New Line Engineering to start off?

This one last year
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/nottingham-analogue-dais.231328/

I'd say the one you've been offered is a pretty good price, if you don't like that tonearm trade it for something else.

Thanks Darren, hope to get a nice offer for the other one. That tonearm is so special that I’m not sure I’d be able to trade/sale it easily... guitars, synth are gear I know exactly how to trade easily but in the hifi world I just don’t know. Would rather get one without arm or with the right arm... if I can’t may buy the other one.

I heard the Space Ace about 10-12 years ago. It was partnered with an Audion 300B pre power and Living Voice speakers. I think the dealer just fitted a cheap AT cart. I very much enjoyed the system as a whole, none of which I was familiar with. Certainly no probs with rock music and a fast and dynamic sound

Thanks Darren, hope to get a nice offer for the other one. That tonearm is so special that I’m not sure I’d be able to trade/sale it easily... guitars, synth are gear I know exactly how to trade easily but in the hifi world I just don’t know. Would rather get one without arm or with the right arm... if I can’t may buy the other one.
You’re talking about the Michell Tecnoarm on the Dais in the Advert?

I sold one not long ago and had 3 firm offers, so I think you’d get rid of it easy enough.

You’re talking about the Michell Tecnoarm on the Dais in the Advert?

I sold one not long ago and had 3 firm offers, so I think you’d get rid of it easy enough.

Unfortunately not... the Dais I found is fitted with The Cartrige Man Conductor

Ah, that’s about £3K of special, agree it might be a problem to sell on in a reasonable timeframe.

I know... Very expensive tonearm but not sure I’d could sell it quite quickly and probably won’t be able to get another tonearm for the Dais till I’d sell the other one

Think you've nailed it there; unknown set-ups, unfamiliar locations, possibly less well-known music; maybe even the alcohol was different.:)

No alcohol involved but just actual experience, I wasn't moved by performance at all so thought it was ok to mention along with the terms of unknown.

The deck doesn't alter with different tonearms. As I have both a unipivot Ace Anna 12" and a PU7 12" gimball on my Dais, I can assure you that neither arm sounds 'dull'. However, each sounds completely different with different cart's, depending on their synergy. Koetsu not so happy on unipivot; Lyra loves it and Benz is ambivalent. The Dais is just a very stable platter for whatever arm/cart. combo you throw at it; shows the latter's character and that's what a deck should do.

The deck doesn't alter with different tonearms. As I have both a unipivot Ace Anna 12" and a PU7 12" gimball on my Dais, I can assure you that neither arm sounds 'dull'. However, each sounds completely different with different cart's, depending on their synergy. Koetsu not so happy on unipivot; Lyra loves it and Benz is ambivalent. The Dais is just a very stable platter for whatever arm/cart. combo you throw at it; shows the latter's character and that's what a deck should do.
I had an SME 20/2 with SME V arm during 15 years, with different cart, Koetsu, Kiseki Blue NS, Lyra Delos. It was a superb deck, with robust, open, free flowing sound. Very nice. However since 2 years I have the Rp10, which I find more lively and dynamic. The SME is a bit dull vs the Rega. For me the Dais is closer to the SME than to the Rega.
All depends also which kind of music you listen to.

I have a Nott A arm on my Garrard, it sounds great. An Omega Point. It came to me on an LP 12, the Linn is gone but the arm was so much better than an Ittok it wasn't funny, so I kept it.

advertisement

Back