advertisement

Nottingham Analogue (Space Deck) VS Rega/Linn/Michell etc.

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Dear All,
I never had a Nottingham Analogue turntable.

What's the difference in sound respect the other well known belt-drive turntables (Rega, Linn, Michell) and which are the pros and the cons regarding its use?

Lastly, what is the level of finishes and the quality of the materials?

Thank you very much.

Cheers.
Mauro

I never owned a Spacedeck but have owned a Hyperspace and now own a Dais, to compare it too the Gyrodecks or Regas I've owned would be a little unfair as it would of been approximately twice the price of the Gyro and a few times the price of any Regas I've owned, fwiw I think they're all good TT's with they're own strengths and weaknesses.
Pros of NA, ability to take 2 or more arms depending upon model, dead easy to set up, no drifting or suspension fiddling, great sounding IME, easy to use, push the platter to start and stop with your hand. Great looking, quite sculptural and minimalistic.
Cons no switching to 45rpm regardless of model, just move the belt on the pulley.
Finish is quite simple, gloss and satin black paint, anodising on the Dais upwards, some machine turned finish on the armboards and the tonearms. Good quality finish but not a fine finish in the same league as say an SME tonearm.

I have owned two fairly loaded LP12s, a Spacedeck HD and now have a Rega Planar 8. In terms of sound, the best of these is probably the Rega, but the Spacedeck was very good indeed. It was also perhaps the best constructed of them all, but its big disadvantage was its size and weight. Both the Rega and the Spacedeck were very much 'fit and forget' but the LP12 encouraged tweakery. You takes yer pick...

I owned several Regas, an SME 20/2a, and now again a Rega Rp10. I heard sometimes Notthingam decks ( Hypersoace and Dais). They look nice and sound nice, but not very quick and involving. You will have body, bass and soundstage, but a bit boring sound, apart if you like jazz trios, nice voices....But rock, funk, fusion....better look elsewhere.

I owned several Regas, an SME 20/2a, and now again a Rega Rp10. I heard sometimes Notthingam decks ( Hypersoace and Dais). They look nice and sound nice, but not very quick and involving. You will have body, bass and soundstage, but a bit boring sound, apart if you like jazz trios, nice voices....But rock, funk, fusion....better look elsewhere.

I'd say you heard the NA TTs either poorly set up or with the wrong tonearm and cartridge, they're definitely not boring, slow or uninvolving . Either the Hyperspace or Dais with the correct choice of tonearm and cartridge they play rock music better than the various Regas, Voyd, Thorens , Gyrodecks I've owned, better in every aspect, put the wrong tonearm on one, say an SME IV and it will sound uninvolving and boring. I'm speaking from the experience of owning a Hyperspace and trying quite a few good quality tonearms on it. I only tried an SME 10 TTfor a short period but couldn't put up with the motor whine. I don't listen to jazz or classical.

I have owned two fairly loaded LP12s, a Spacedeck HD and now have a Rega Planar 8. In terms of sound, the best of these is probably the Rega, but the Spacedeck was very good indeed. It was also perhaps the best constructed of them all, but its big disadvantage was its size and weight. Both the Rega and the Spacedeck were very much 'fit and forget' but the LP12 encouraged tweakery. You takes yer pick...

So, you think the Planar 8 is the best sounding one, furthermore it is smaller, lighter, more comfortable for switching speed 33/45 and probably it retains its value better.

How is the building quality of the Planar 8?
Did they make any progress compared to the RP8?

I have a Planar 6 and it doesn't seems much different from an old Planar 3 (pre-glossy version).
In fact, with the smoked lid closed it looks indeed like an old Planar 3....
However, it sounds very good, much more dynamic an lively than my Gyrodec.

It can be useful to get opinions on these things but ultimately you need to try them for yourself. People vary so much in their taste that meaningful information is hard to filter out.

Years ago a guy who lived near me asked if I wanted to hear his system. Very 'round' earth, cost about £60k but he described it as faster than Naim and having great 'PRAT' etc. It was the most dull, boring, flat and emotionless system I've heard in my entire life. It wasn't just not great, it was terrible!

How people describe their own systems is largly meaningless. Everyone thinks their own stereo is great, no one thinks their own turntable it too dull, because to them it's isn't.

You guys are very wise. Totally agree with you but it’s still interesting to talk about music gear even if it’s useless (otherwise, no more need for forums!)

You guys are very wise. Totally agree with you but it’s still interesting to talk about music gear even if it’s useless.

I wouldn't say it is useless, far from it. I ask questions on forums all the time. It's just that there is a limit to what internet opinions can tell you. Sooner or later you have to bite the bullet and buy the stuff. Only then do you find out if you like the thing.

I wouldn't say it is useless, far from it. I ask questions on forums all the time. It's just that there is a limit to what internet opinions can tell you. Sooner or later you have to bite the bullet and buy the stuff. Only then do you find out if you like the thing.

Once again, totally agree (I like to ask questions on forums as well and it’s very useful but in the end, experience is the only reality)

Once again, totally agree (I like to ask questions on forums as well and it’s very useful but in the end, experience is the only reality)

Yeah, I'm doing a similar thing with cartridges. I'm trying to find the ideal cart for my turntable but I don't want to spend a lot on something I don't like.

Turntables are different though. As with most Hi-Fi components, if you buy one at the right price you can sell it on if you don't like it. Buy used and avoid obscure products that might be hard to sell and you can try out whatever takes your fancy.

Yeah, I'm doing a similar thing with cartridges. I'm trying to find the ideal cart for my turntable but I don't want to spend a lot on something I don't like.

Turntables are different though. As with most Hi-Fi components, if you buy one at the right price you can sell it on if you don't like it. Buy used and avoid obscure products that might be hard to sell and you can try out whatever takes your fancy.

I’m quite new in the hifi gear but that’s exactly my experience with music stuff (guitars, synth, fx). Buying used at a fair price is always the best to try new gear as it could be sold without losing money. Unless you bought obscure products ;-) you can’t be more right!

Have ended up with a Dais after over 50 years with 2 x Thorens, LP12, Orbe, 2 x Goldring, 401, Xerxes and others I've forgotten about (but not in that order!). This is my first mass deck and although I think it looks agricultural, it's the best deck I've had for both ergonomic, practical and sonic reasons. One caveat, though. I have to disassemble it to move it (ah, well !) It's also very good v.f.m. in upper end hifi terms. It'll outlast me.

I believe that there is a fundamental sonic signature in the different formats of deck (suspended, non-suspended, direct drive, mass etc.) as there is in the various incarnations of each. Personally, I wouldn't revert to 9" arms, which rules out most of the non-mass decks. 'Orses for courses.

It can be useful to get opinions on these things but ultimately you need to try them for yourself. People vary so much in their taste that meaningful information is hard to filter out.

Years ago a guy who lived near me asked if I wanted to hear his system. Very 'round' earth, cost about £60k but he described it as faster than Naim and having great 'PRAT' etc. It was the most dull, boring, flat and emotionless system I've heard in my entire life. It wasn't just not great, it was terrible!

How people describe their own systems is largly meaningless. Everyone thinks their own stereo is great, no one thinks their own turntable it too dull, because to them it's isn't.

Or there are those of us that can give an honest impression or opinion of the TTs that we have owned and being totally honest I'd find it very hard to criticise any of the Rega (perhaps a little lacking in soundstage depth) or Michell (perhaps lacking a little in bass definition) tables I've owned or heard in other systems. FWiW I think all the TTs from Rega, Michell and NA are very good at their price points just different flavours. Equally I could criticise the SME 10 for its motor whine and I owned it, though only for a short period, I bought an SME IV arm, beautiful piece of engineering but it didn't really gel with the Hyperspace but worked really well on a Gyro SE. So not everything I've owned has been great or has worked together in the context of my systems over the years, but that's part of the learning process and journey that happens when assembling analogue systems from various manufacturers with various design ideologies.

I've heard Nottingham decks a couple of times
Allways in unknown setups but never involving, never quick as a Rega, quite thick or slow in basnotes.
Not for me

advertisement

Back