advertisement

Nottingham Analogue (Space Deck) VS Rega/Linn/Michell etc.

I had an SME 20/2 with SME V arm for 15 years, with different cart, Koetsu, Kiseki Blue NS, Lyra Delos.

The Five, despite being the epitome of neutrality, was/is very versatile. I had 2 x Ks on mine (on Orbe), which sounded good. However, not as good as on a heavier mass arm.Likewise, SME decks are neutral to a fault. I don't know the Rega decks but I think that might explain a large part of the picture.

I am a very happy Spacedeck/Spacearm user. I do not find it slow sounding at all. It replaced a Lp12 and in my opinion it outperforms lp12 in every way. Before the Lp12 I had a Rega planer 3, which didn't really do it for me.
I would love to have a Dais or a Deco

Can someone posts two digitally recorded high-res files using an A2D device from the same phono cartridge mounted on the both Nothingham and Rega turntables using the same phono stage and same tonearm cables/RCA plugs and same interconnects?

I am a very happy Spacedeck/Spacearm user. I do not find it slow sounding at all. It replaced a Lp12 and in my opinion it outperforms lp12 in every way. Before the Lp12 I had a Rega planer 3, which didn't really do it for me.
I would love to have a Dais or a Deco
Agree. I own both a Spacedeck with Space Arm and an LP12 with Akito. They are both in the same room playing through Tom Evans phono stages into the same system. Both are mounted with the same Ortofon MC.
The spacedeck is better than the Linn in every respect. It's more detailed, more dynamic and it's as funky as hell.
The Spacedeck also has almost zero servicing needs and will certainly run forever. I was going to upgrade the Linn until it matches the Spacedeck's performance but what's the point when I could get myself a nice hyperspace instead?

Last edited:
Can someone posts two digitally recorded high-res files using an A2D device from the same phono cartridge mounted on the both Nothingham and Rega turntables using the same phono stage and same tonearm cables/RCA plugs and same interconnects?
See rules of conduct, paragraph 2

Unfortunately that's not allowed for copyright reasons. We did do something similar at a bakeoff several years ago to compare turntables, with very interesting results.

Agree. I own both a Spacedeck with Space Arm and an LP12 with Akito. They are both in the same room playing through Tom Evans phono stages into the same system. Both are mounted with the same Ortofon MC.
One of the big issues when citing the LP12 as a competitor is that the deck varies so much it can hardly be considered as one deck at all. The turntable I have just now looks pretty similar to the one I had before the RP10 but it sounds much better.

I'm not saying that it's invalid to say that you like something else more than an LP12 but unless the reader knows what the spec of that LP12 is, and how that spec sounds, it doesn't mean a lot.

For example I think the Akito is nice enough and nothing more. Personally, I wouldn't put a moving coil on one, I'd upgrade the arm first.

The SME is a bit dull vs the Rega. For me the Dais is closer to the SME than to the Rega.
The Five arm is known to be neutral to a fault, so I'd put that 'dullness' down to the arm rather than the deck. I also had Koetsu, Lyra etc. on my Five, but Ks really should have a much heavier arm than the 11g of the 5, as I realised when swapping my Urushi to the 12" arms I went to. My Five was on Orbe, so yet another parameter but by all accounts and my experience the Dais is simple a platform and not in the same ball-park as SME decks, which are known as 'neutral'

My friend bought an SME 20/3 with Phantom arm before the pandemic to replace his Orbe/Five and hasn't even bothered to change his old Helikon for the much newer Titan i he owns. The Phantom obv. added that colour somewhat lacking before.

I've got an Ace Space. It is faultless. Built well and will no doubt outlive me. Will probably change the rega arm on it for Notts one at some point

One of the big issues when citing the LP12 as a competitor is that the deck varies so much it can hardly be considered as one deck at all. The turntable I have just now looks pretty similar to the one I had before the RP10 but it sounds much better.

I'm not saying that it's invalid to say that you like something else more than an LP12 but unless the reader knows what the spec of that LP12 is, and how that spec sounds, it doesn't mean a lot.

For example I think the Akito is nice enough and nothing more. Personally, I wouldn't put a moving coil on one, I'd upgrade the arm first.
I'll need your help to dress the arm cable if I upgrade the arm Colin. I have a Roksan Nima to try.

The Five arm is known to be neutral to a fault, so I'd put that 'dullness' down to the arm rather than the deck.
Or someone might be comparing the arm and deck to a 1980s pre-Cirkus LP12 that had that very alluring slight bass hump that made records sound so very very good, especially with amplifiers that tended to be a little lean. Like those dark green ones. :)

Or someone might be comparing the arm and deck to a 1980s pre-Cirkus LP12 that had that very alluring slight bass hump that made records sound so very very good, especially with amplifiers that tended to be a little lean. Like those dark green ones. :)
I remember that I had the hump in 1982 when I bought my (used, dealer) Fruit Box but I've no idea which leprechaun coloured amplification you are referring to but within a year or two mine was into Naim Olive (32.5/160 or 250) by which time the Basic had gone, replaced by a Tiktok and Karma, I think.

Last edited:
I remember that I had the hump in 1982 when I bought my (used, dealer) Fruit Box but I've no idea which leprechaun coloured amplification you are referring to but within a year or two mine was into Naim Olive (32.5/160 or 250) but which time the Basic had gone, replaced by a Tiktok and Karma, I think.
No idea? Well, what colour is olive?

No idea? Well, what colour is olive?
They were called olive to distinguish them from the chrome bumper stuff, I believe, and only the faceplate was a dark slightly olive shade; the casing was black. I could have it arse about face but I reember seeing that slightly different hue towards the end of the eighties, if I remember.

As I had two olive 135s and two c/b 135s at the same time (bi-amping) in the late nineties/early noughties I should remember but I don't. However, the faceplates didn't quite match, so subtle was that olive shade; with one or two other tiny differences I think (logo? Casing finish?)

advertisement

Back