advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

Surely the best speaker ever is the next one.

I like speakers that don't exist best.

The Ordish Thruster gets my vote. Designed by King Barry the Unpleasant of Ord and his pal Rapey Dave, this 70m high, 3,200 driver line array has a frequency response from 0Hz to ultraviolet, has a dynamic range of 300dB and can deliver SPLs equivalent to the blast yield from a 50 megaton thermonuclear weapon at 10m, yet is capable of producing fine detail and soundstage so accurate, long-dead musicians physically manifest in the room, and stay there long enough for you to invite them to tea after the recording.

It's active and whenever played, the lights go out for a 100mile radius because it drains the National Grid. Despite the thick layers of lead shielding required to keep its special Musical Warp Core from melting the face of any listener, and the reinforcement needed to allow a floor to support the 7.35x10^22kg per speaker weight, it's surprisingly sprightly sounding and doesn't need an expensive source to drive it.

Just two pairs of Ordish Thrusters will be made, and they will be finished in the new UltraGold material, which will need to be mined from the core of one of the moons of a gas giant circling one of the stars of Vega, so they will cost slightly more than all the money in the world, ever. Plus, there's the little matter of the 1.7 billion year waiting list, but if you put a deposit of £China down now, a representative of the species your family eventually evolves into will receive the finest loudspeakers ever. Until we design the Mk II version next year.

The Ordish Thruster is distributed in the UK by Absolute Sounds.

I want a pair... :D

I suggest the Ars Ehol model E with dedicated Deficator stands.

Where do American companies get their company / product names from?

Seriously though, Naim SL2s. For AOR, the combination of speed and ear friendly treble is exceptional.

Shahinian Diapason
Epos ES14
Royd Minstrel
Goodmans Maxim
Quad 57
Proac Response 1SC can feel hard done by, being left out of my top 5.

Winston Churchill
Martin L. King
John F. Kennedy
Margaret Thatcher? Long shot that one…

Royd Sorcerer - Joe Ackroyd's masterpiece. HiFi trends come and go, but these speakers will always have a place in my system for making music FUN FUN FUN again after "Audiophilia Nervosa" had set in...

Still haven't tried Linn Kan MK1s though - am I missing anything? :p

Impulse H2

I "replaced" mine with ATC SCM100A, but haven't attempted to sell the H2s. Yes, the ATCs do some things better, but nothing does bass like H2s, not even my 4x15" Tannoy FSMs came close. They just sound so lovely too.

Epos ES14s not because they are the best but because they have always been the best bang for buck and still are. There is a mint pair with dedicated stands in the classifieds for less than £150. You would need to spend a grand new to get close.

Aspirational: Von Schweikert VR-55

Real world: Naim Ovator 400

Classic: Quad ESL-57

John F Kennedy perhaps, but overused as a speaker.... Jesus (who never really existed so does a fictitious construct count?) was always way overrated but I do like Martin Luther King and I really like Richard P Feynman.

Cicero would have been awesome to witness in the flesh, holding baby in arms Speaking of the future of Rome and all... Total sucker for schmaltz.

I cannot answer the intended question because its a daft question.

Linn Kan mk1.
Linn Briks.
The two early 80s active Meridian stand mount speakers with the little choc box size pre amp.
Haybrook HB3.
SBL.
SL2.
DBL.

advertisement

Back