1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

Discussion in 'audio' started by louballoo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Rick_F

Rick_F pfm Member

Agree. After hearing Dom's at Scalford, and then at his home I just had to get some (which I did) :)

2. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

Zombie thread refuses to die.

3. peelaaa

peelaaa pfm Member

Quad esl 63 for me. Wish my house was bigger though for them

4. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Did this thread ever go to a poll ?

5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Impulse H2

6. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

I think so. Back in 2012. When we had another pending apocalypse. Maybe this thread rising from the grave is one of the signs?

7. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Or got fed up chasing the end of the rainbow.

8. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Kef 105/3 love me coffins. if they were good enough for American Psycho then they are well suited for me.

Bloss

9. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

From what I recall the Kans were made from Chartwell LS3/5a receivership stock, so probably don’t count.

10. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Search shed no light.

11. iansr

iansr pfm Member

There's a guy over on the Wigwam forum who spent 2 years auditioning speakers in search of a final speaker purchase. He listened to a LOT of well regarded speakers but couldn't recover from hearing the Beolab 90s and the only cure was to start saving for them. He's now bought a pair. Nothing could touch them in his view. Having read a lot about them I can't say I'm surprised. Going to hear them myself in a couple of weeks.

12. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

Can't be arsed reading the whole thread. So I 'first or second or third the Tannoy Westminster Royal.

My next would be the Rogers Studio 3 as a more domestically useful LS3/5-A

But then I am very shallow.. and currently a bit pissed. ;)

13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Good thing you can't buy hifi at that time of night or 2 very large boxes might be arriving next week.

14. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

In my case I genuinely found the gold at the end of it.

15. Paul Gravett

Paul Gravett Good Bot Gone Bad

Since becoming interested in hifi about 35 yrs ago I have owned the following speakers:

Arc 101 (1981-1994)
    Linn Sara (1994-2002)
    Naim SBL (2002-2005)
    PMC OB1 (2005-2006)
    Rega R7 (2006-2015)
    Rega RS3 (2015-2017)
    Shahinian Arc (2017-on)

the top three are: 1. Shahinian; 2. Rega R7; 3. PMC OB1.

16. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Bet you spent some too.. :) Glad to hear the big JBLs float your boat. I very nearly bought a pair too.