advertisement

New network players from Naim

I have an NDS and only just about managed to justify it to myself as a second hand bargain. I have no interest at all in the new ND555.

I have an NDS and only just about managed to justify it to myself as a second hand bargain. I have no interest at all in the new ND555.

I am certainly curious to hear it. I would love to hear it side-by-side with the Aries G2 / Vega G2 stack.

I traded my NDX for an Aries G2 because I thought the NDX 2 was further away, but looking at the specs/features I have no regrets, I was expecting them to have something like the Chord DAC tech onboard.

Sorry OT but I am curious about Aries G2 + Vega G2 as they seem to have a lot of overlap, what would adding the Vega G2 to the Aries G2 add that the Vega G2 on it's own can't do?

Sorry OT but I am curious about Aries G2 + Vega G2 as they seem to have a lot of overlap, what would adding the Vega G2 to the Aries G2 add that the Vega G2 on it's own can't do?

They do have a lot of overlap. In terms of features, the Aries G2 adds very little except for the option of built-in storage and the facility to insert the upcoming Sirius G2 processor between the streamer and the DAC. However, the Aries G2 / Vega G2 pairing sounds even better than the Vega G2 on its own.

“This was just a slice of how these players perform and the sound of the system wasn’t giving the kind of stereophony or bottom end definition I would necessarily seek on any of the tracks, but it did show up the good-better-best differences well...”

Well, for only £12,999 of Naim’s “best” was is he expecting?!

listen to naim dealers and naim sales are dropping. new sales are basically streaming/pc source units. new range hike in price is a kick in teeth for naim fans

I'm surprised they're still bringing out product using the 2002 style. The previous generation Naims lasted 13 years and the new 'white' design covers the Uniti and the Statement at either end of the spectrum, which implies that the 'Classic' ranges will follow at some point.
Lack of an FM module is clearly an error of judgment following the recent BBC announcement.
And following Linn down the 'mainly streaming' route seems a bit mistimed: https://www.whathifi.com/news/cd-an...2018)::article_3_headline&utm_source=20180326

I'm surprised they're still bringing out product using the 2002 style. The previous generation Naims lasted 13 years and the new 'white' design covers the Uniti and the Statement at either end of the spectrum, which implies that the 'Classic' ranges will follow at some point.
Lack of an FM module is clearly an error of judgment following the recent BBC announcement.
And following Linn down the 'mainly streaming' route seems a bit mistimed: https://www.whathifi.com/news/cd-and-vinyl-outselling-digital-music-downloads?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews bulletins&utm_content=WHIF ENews Bulletin_noextras Updated (26.03.2018)::article_3_headline&utm_source=20180326

The article you quoted stated "But downloads and phyical formats are still in the shadow of music streaming. While revenues from physical products made up 17% of the industry total in 2017, that for the ever-growing streaming platforms made up the bulk (65%), with paid subscriptions currently the industry’s biggest growth driver" Surely this vindicates the decision of Linn & Naim? All the Linn streamers can play streaming services (Spotify etc) as well as locally stored files, and I would assume the Naims would do likewise.

I feel sorry for Naim employees they are now forced to use Focal Utopia speakers in their demos.

I have zero interest in streaming

Each to their own & all that.
I still love my vinyl system, however, for me, streaming is like joining the biggest music library in the world, with instant access from my sofa. It can't be beaten for exploring new music.. When I find something I really like, I buy a vinyl copy of it.
But my days of hearing a track on the radio, buying a CD on the strength of it, only to find thats the only track I like on the CD are gone.
For that alone, streaming deserves serious consideration.

Each to their own & all that.
I still love my vinyl system, however, for me, streaming is like joining the biggest music library in the world, with instant access from my sofa. It can't be beaten for exploring new music.. When I find something I really like, I buy a vinyl copy of it.
But my days of hearing a track on the radio, buying a CD on the strength of it, only to find thats the only track I like on the CD are gone.
For that alone, streaming deserves serious consideration.

I agree.

I listen 90% to analogue and use Spotify Premium to discover the music to buy on vinyl. 10.99 € / month seems money well spent, particularly considering the huge savings whitout my previous blindfold albums purchases.

The ND5 XS 2 seems interesting for 2,000 £, even considering its digital inputs.

I owned the ND5 XS in the past and was very pleased with, but finally sold it for the annoying control app and the firmware update only via usb.

M.

I feel sorry for Naim employees they are now forced to use Focal Utopia speakers in their demos.

I wonder if that was the 'straw that broke the camel's back', in respect of Doug Graham leaving Naim?

+1 on streaming.

advertisement

Back