advertisement

New network players from Naim

So is this new Naim ND5 XS-2 the Naim Streamer entry point similar to Linn Sneaky Streamer?
Would this be connected to a pre amp of your choice?

Did you found the prices?

IMHO, the ND5-XS had a good VfM.

M.
No I didn't, but It will be bat shit crazy expensive and thats before its launched by which time it will already have had two price increases, it will be unreliable and full of bugs, it will be as user friendly as Jack the ripper and sound as hard as glass.

No I didn't, but It will be bat shit crazy expensive and thats before its launched by which time it will already have had two price increases, it will be unreliable and full of bugs, it will be as user friendly as Jack the ripper and sound as hard as glass.

Come on Robert, get off the fence ;)

.sjb

...and don't forget the obligatory £3000 psu to make it sound better.

...and don't forget the obligatory £3000 psu to make it sound better.

Though sound better it almost certainly will, and so those that can afford to buy it, will likely do so. And because it is well supported it will also be an excellent second-hand purchase, and so will maintain its value while all around plummet in depreciation. But the haters will still hate...

It's generally reckoned on the Naim forum that even the Hugo 1 outperforms naims current dacs. I can't see how Naim can outperform the competition when it comes to software, there is too much brilliant competition out there.
I can see Naim still selling their amps and preamps, but their software based stuff is going to struggle at their high price point. And being sofware based, it won't hold its value as technology moves on.
Chord are leaving them standing with the Dave.
There will be a few diehards who buy their streamers with more money than sense, but not enough to keep them going.

It's generally reckoned on the Naim forum that even the Hugo 1 outperforms naims current dacs.

Chord are leaving them standing with the Dave.

I’d not disagree with that - people have been asking for years about a 500 series DAC, as despite the software upgrades keeping them current there’s no doubt the nDAC and DAC-V1 are old hardware. At £2749 and £1499, after the latest round of price increases, they shouldn’t really be expected to compete with the £8499 DAVE!

The NDS is retired in favour of the ND555 which uses the same ancient DAC technology that they must have stockpiled. Apart from the new streaming platform I can’t see how the sound quality is going to significantly improve enough to justify the premium over the NDS.

The NDX2 effectively replaces the NDS and NDX and I haven’t seen word on the DAC technology in this but this is potentially the most interesting of the trio. It would have to be superb though.

The ND5-XS2 will be the best VFM. No PSU upgrade options this time which may suggest they deliberately had to hobble it to keep clear water between that and the NDX2.

It is noted that there are DIG outs this time which may mean they’ve accepted people can plug the new streamers into a DAVE or some such.

Alternatively is there a new Naim DAC on the way?

See the ND555 needs CD555 PSU, plus the right amps and speakers etc to drive the kit properly. I had an NDS (now discontinued it seems) and got out of that end due to the continuing costs to feed the beast properly. Love NAIM but just too much costs involved I felt to keep chasing their ethos. Only my own take.

As a Naim Audio owner and previous ower of an ND5XS which is pretty good value on the used market I would have to say these look great and probably sound great but will be vastly overpriced and easily bettered for a lot less money.
Naim need to stick to amplifiers.

advertisement

Back