advertisement

New Linn MC

Two spec's which I didn't read; the output at either 3.5 or 5 cms/sec and the internal impedance. Rather important details, I feel.

If initial reports that it outperforms the Akiva prove to be true , this is going to be a mega bargain.

No part exchange but since the Akiva was £2300 this still comes in at a significant saving.

The delos is a lovely cartridge but it's not an Akiva, if the Krystle does prove the better stylus no-one is going to care about the cantilever material.

If initial reports that it outperforms the Akiva prove to be true , this is going to be a mega bargain.

The delos is a lovely cartridge but it's not an Akiva, if the Krystle does prove the better stylus no-one is going to care about the cantilever material.

If it outperforms the Arkiva it'll be a hell of a cartridge at any price. And if Goldring had a MC that good already, at that price, it'd be the best selling cart in the UK already...

Whiffs of marketing bull5hit to me.

I don't think anyone or very few only, has done the compare Krystal to Akiva as of yet

One asked question on Linn forum and a dashed dealer grabbed the marketing opportunity explaining what he thought, clearly he expressed no real life experience if I recall, just £1190 could be the ticket

So a cartridge almost half the price out performs Linn's previous top of the range cartridge. I think a dealer is trying to stimulate some business from Akiva owners. Completely agree with sq225917.

Cartridge technology is a funny thing really, in many ways there has been very little advancement for thirty years. It's not so much that material technology hasn't advanced, it's more about the how that technology is applied and how the finished design actually sounds. For example, there has been a recent thread about the top Audio-Technica cartridges and the ART1. I well remember when that cartridge came out (I sold it in those days) and the raft of technical achievements it boasted (titanium and ceramic body, boron cantilever with diamond coating, fine line stylus etc.). It really was a cutting edge piece of design and if released today would be right up there with the most sophisticated designs. On the other hand there are a number of high end manufacturers who eschew any of the 'modern' cartridge technologies and they are still considered amongst the best performers. Given the above I don't really see why this new Linn offering shouldn't perform as well as the more lofty and technically sophisticated cartridges in Linns range.

Cartridge technology is a funny thing really, in many ways there has been very little advancement for thirty years. It's not so much that material technology hasn't advanced, it's more about the how that technology is applied and how the finished design actually sounds. For example, there has been a recent thread about the top Audio-Technica cartridges and the ART1. I well remember when that cartridge came out (I sold it in those days) and the raft of technical achievements it boasted (titanium and ceramic body, boron cantilever with diamond coating, fine line stylus etc.). It really was a cutting edge piece of design and if released today would be right up there with the most sophisticated designs. On the other hand there are a number of high end manufacturers who eschew any of the 'modern' cartridge technologies and they are still considered amongst the best performers. Given the above I don't really see why this new Linn offering shouldn't perform as well as the more lofty and technically sophisticated cartridges in Linns range.

If this was true then Linn would be pricing it at the Akiva price point which is significantly less than the top of the range Kandid and more than the price point that they have priced it. Linn have never released a better product and reduced the price. It's not their model viz a viz the Akito now promoted as superior to the Ittok and Ekos with a price to match.
It looks to me like one well known dealer is drumming up business by suggesting that it is an Akiva beater.

For those that might be interested.
Linn are offering 15% off other LP12 items when ordered with the Kristal.
Krystal_3_Q_x220.jpg

They are also taking re-built and re-tipped Linn cartridges as trade ins.
£125 for old Klyde and Troika's against a new Kristal.

I'll be very, very surprised if this isn't essentially the Goldring Legacy cartridge guts in a Linn-style 3 point mount for twice the wonga.

Well I suppose it does look a little nicer.....

Ooh, threaded holes :).
-------
Today I have been listening to a friends new Koetsu Red Signature and although new to him and little used it is actually seventeen years old. Despite its low tech internal and age it absolutely trounced his modern Dynavector.

If this was true ...

I think it was and still is true; but my point wasn't specifically about this Linn cartridge. There are more things that effect the performance of a cartridge than just the modernity of the technology implemented.

advertisement

Back