new cartridge

Amber Audio

This is the Day
hi

currently have gyrodec se, nc psu, technoarm, 10x5 and p75 mk3

budget £1k

any recommendations?

gus

Think a DV20x2L would be a good match with the P75 and tecnoarm.

(good phono stage, really like the P75 I had)

I have the same set-up and I've been using a 20x2 for the past year and a half. Works beautifully with the P75, although part of me wishes I'd gone for the XX2 Mk2. It's another £200 over your budget though...

I have a gorgeous Kiseki with very low hours for sale for around that amount. It was a huge leap up from the 10x5 I had on my Aro before, though I have no idea if it would be a good match for your technoarm.

PS: Not sure if mentioning this here is bad form. Happy to remove if so. Thanks.

PS: Not sure if mentioning this here is bad form. Happy to remove if so. Thanks.

Only that you keep reminding me it's for sale, I've just bought a Koetsu and would've bought this if it came up first ;)

Hasn't arrived yet, literally bought it the day before you posted your ad :(

more of the same

had 10x5 ten years and fancy a change plus upgrade, as i have a p75 mk3, dynavector cart seems good option

Agreed. I would ask the OP, what are you looking for? More of the same or a change? As the arm is Rega based and the Dyna is quite dynamic,then why not a posh Rega cart?

OP, I'd suggest a Benz Ace SL is worth a serious listen. I ran one for year on my SME and was delighted. More specifically, I have a suspicion it would suit your deck and arm very nicely. As an all-rounder I'd probably prefer it to a 17D3, which is about £400 more.

The Lyra Delos breaths life into vinyl, its not a warm syrupy euphonic sound and its been the first cartridge I've heard that has delivered on the promises of high end vinyl nirvana and for a Lyra the bass has decent weight. Mine used to be installed on an SMEV-Orbe but you also have to own a decent pre-amp to extract the best from it.

more of the same

had 10x5 ten years and fancy a change plus upgrade, as i have a p75 mk3, dynavector cart seems good option
I think you have dynavector's most useable cart already. The pricier ones that I've heard of have seemed more music and system dependant.
The Lyra is very good, but an Ortofon probably a better bet if your music taste is broad. All Ortofons are 'tuned' so that:
Red = base model, quite neutral, good all rounder;
Blue, better stylus profile...IMO usually the bargain of the range, well balanced;
Bronze = warmer sound, useful if your system is a tad bright;
Black are the most refined, best detail and very very good.

The Cadenzas are brilliant, but the Quintets are also excellent, and the Quintet black is bloody good for under £700.

The Lyra is very good, but an Ortofon probably a better bet if your music taste is broad. .

Disagree here, I listen to Mahler, ELP, Beatles, Madonna, John Coltrane, Massive Attack and the Delos handles them all with aplomb. Ortofons have a safe sound if thats what you like.

advertisement

Back