advertisement

Need fast speakers

Interesting bun fight. Let’s not forget that multiple smaller bass drivers will equal or better a large driver in terms of cone area. They will usually have lighter cones and can be made to go very low with dsp ala Kii.

Having heard all the various types of speakers over the years, including some mentioned I think the OP might find open baffles or horns worth investigating. Sadly not many options in OB unless you’re willing to go out on a limb.

Perhaps only with Naim speakers which i do not have experience with. Insufficient space from wall boundaries with most box speakers, not related to speakers experiencing compression at higher levels. Sound quality will suffer first before smaller speakers achieve compression.

Small to medium sized speakers for small rooms. Big speakers for larger rooms. Not the other way round unless one spends a lot of time, effort and money in optimising the set up.

The best bass I've listened to was from 12" sealed BnW 801Fs in a 3x4.5m room.

Boy, you constantly stating things I didn't said. Please show me the sentence where I said that small rooms equals 50Hz modes and where I called you ignorant.:rolleyes:
I quoted your literal post
“ if you have a big speaker (enclosure and woofer) that does have full loudness @ 50Hz it will cause boom in a small room.”
You didnt say 50hz peak, my bad.

you say that a speaker flat to 50hz will create a boom… your own shl5plus is flat till 55hz..
And i had that specific speaker and i didnt have a boom

“If you say the size of the room is irrelevant you don't have a clue about acoustics and interaction of the speaker,”
Yes, i say this. And im not ignorant as its my literal experience, backed by acoustician. Ive opened multiple thread at gearslutz, talked about my room to professional acoustician.
Having a good comversation with them is revelatory as it will destroy lots of thing youve heard repeat in audiophile circles.
They do recommend big speaker in small room as long as your room is sorted a(measured, speaker position and LP optimized, treated)
now, im talking about mains speakers. not nearfield.

but its time i bow down. the force of marketing is strong in here, and id agree i rather listen to music then continue debating with audiophiles who are being bombarded by BS myths by "professional'' reviewers. its all nauseating at this point
farewell

Last edited:
Bad generalisation!
Ported Harbeths are indeed sluggish.
LS3/5A is generally thought of as a "fast" speaker. Lot of ESL fans like them for this reason.
i wouldnt call the SHL5plus bass sluggish. its pretty impressive in that regard as its tight, fast and punchy and deep. the extension is really surprising.

I quoted your literal post
“ if you have a big speaker (enclosure and woofer) that does have full loudness @ 50Hz it will cause boom in a small room.”
You didnt say 50hz peak, my bad.
What I don't get why you still use such small speakers instead of big ones like you are claiming will work out.;)

you say that a speaker flat to 50hz will create a boom… your own shl5plus is flat till 55hz..
And i had that specific speaker and i didnt have a boom
No, I didn't say that, read again more precisely! And you still stating things that ain't true I don't own a SHL5+!:rolleyes:

“If you say the size of the room is irrelevant you don't have a clue about acoustics and interaction of the speaker,”
Yes, i say this. And im not ignorant as its my literal experience, backed by acoustician. Ive opened multiple thread at gearslutz, talked about my room to professional acoustician.
So the dimensions doesn't influence the room modes and where they begin and where they at, for real?:rolleyes:

Having a good comversation with them is revelatory as it will destroy lots of thing youve heard repeat in audiophile circles.
They do recommend big speaker in small room as long as your room is sorted a(measured, speaker position and LP optimized, treated)
now, im talking about mains speakers. not nearfield.
I'd be really interested in some links to you threads.:cool:

but its time i bow down. the force of marketing is strong in here, and id agree i rather listen to music then continue debating with audiophiles who are being bombarded by BS myths by "professional'' reviewers. its all nauseating at this point
farewell
You are again stating things that ain't true, what has marketing to do with that or BS myth by professionals? I have measured the differences, I'm still waiting for yours and some pictures to back up your statements.

I think this argument is due to the fact that English is not everyone's first language. A slight misunderstanding.
The topic is about fast speakers. Speed can be a misunderstood term until you hear fast sound. This is particularly audible when playing a large symphony orchestra.

Based on my experience of Stax electrostatic headphones I imagine that electrostatic or plannar loudspeakers might be equally fast.

I think this argument is due to the fact that English is not everyone's first language. A slight misunderstanding.
The topic is about fast speakers. Speed can be a misunderstood term until you hear fast sound. This is particularly audible when playing a large symphony orchestra.
Quite so, and the impression of speed is not just down to bass but having it across the frequency range. The first time I heard a Quad 57, about 50 years ago, I realised just how important it was to get sound at home that got the same sense of aliveness that I was hearing in the concert hall.

Because you said that you have listened to different Harbeth models in the past which sounded sluggish to your ears, that could be the case with the old lineup but since the SHL5+, M40.2, etc. this isn't the case at all, I can't count how often I have told you that but you still repeat over and over again that Harbeth does sound sluggish without writing which Harbeth you exactly have listened to. If you have listened to a SHL5+ (upwards) I doubt that you still call them sluggish, because the aren't the bass is now more on the lean side and much much tighter.

im using these now
https://i.postimg.cc/mgB9vBfh/IMG-0310.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/gcqhkg40/IMG_0342.jpg

when did I say that room dimension dont influence room modes?
stop putting words into people mouth.
if you stick around studio acoustic forum at gearslutz, youll learn a lot of things. highly recommended
Why are your speakers are so low to the ground... the soundstage surely sounds very short, unless you only listen to music while laying flat on the bed?

PS - You should consider flush-mounting your drivers! :p

Why are your speakers are so low to the ground... the soundstage surely sounds very short, unless you only listen to music while laying flat on the bed?

PS - You should consider flush-mounting your drivers! :p

they are quite tall actually at 40" high.
yeah, im about to learn how to recess drivers. however, im using a horn planar, should help
many thanks, ive stumbled this video which is super informational!
its funny, at 5:45 in this video, he contredict the first video where the guy says it will always sound worst. see what generalisation do?
calling junk when the flush mount measure exactly the same as the routered one. yep, the first video is a ridiculous generalisation and exageration to the point of being dishonest. second video is the real deal.

advertisement

Back