advertisement

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

If only he can keep his trap shut for a little while longer. Last time he opened it, her sentence was increased
Nobody took the idiot's phone off him so he already tweeted this before take-off:

"I am very pleased to confirm that the unfair detention of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori in Iran has ended today, and they will now return to the UK."​

Lots on our local news right now. Feel a little tearful imagining the heartbreak of being separated from your child.

Why didn’t we pay off our debt to Iran a long time ago?

Why didn’t we pay off our debt to Iran a long time ago?

Just your typical ‘Tory brokers dodgy arms deal, Tory reneges entirely on deal shortchanging punter £400m, much time passes, different Tory dickhead makes stupid comment, innocent woman loses 6 years of her life in jail, Tories finally settle their debt to get her back’ thing. Nothing to see here, move along...

PS Johnson off elsewhere today doing deals with yet more dictatorships/terrorists as his past deals with Russian oligarchs are looking just a tad whiffy right now for some reason.

We paid the ransom clearly, it was always political. So pleased she’s almost home with her family

Imposed by who…

…or whom?
40 years on, I'm sure I don't remember but I believe they were imposed by a number/a collection of states at the time.

By whom, by the way, since you ask. I suspect it's a subject/object thing if you want to get gramattical. ☺

They did sponsor terrorism, remember. The Iranian Embassy siege was right by my university, a year or two before my arrival. I had contemporaries who had observed it from university buildings.

Delighted they are released and back safely

Call me cynical that the timing of the release is just when Liz Truss and Priti Patel are being rightly lashed for our pitiful response to Ukrainian refugees…..

Call me cynical that the timing of the release is just when Liz Truss and Priti Patel are being rightly lashed for our pitiful response to Ukrainian refugees…..

…and Boris Johnson is off toadying up to any mass-murdering dictatorships or terrorists he can find who might happen to have cheap oil. He was only yesterday brokering deals with a state that is well documented as murdering and dismembering a journalist and IIRC over the weekend murdered 81 of its citizens in a single day. I’m sure Iran will get a call too.

PS Never mind, that Jeremy Corbyn bloke once spoke to someone in Sinn Fein…

Just your typical ‘Tory brokers dodgy arms deal, Tory reneges entirely on deal shortchanging punter £400m, much time passes, different Tory dickhead makes stupid comment, innocent woman loses 6 years of her life in jail, Tories finally settle their debt to get her back’ thing. Nothing to see here, move along...

PS Johnson off elsewhere today doing deals with yet more dictatorships/terrorists as his past deals with Russian oligarchs are looking just a tad whiffy right now for some reason.
Nazanin's welcome return, no matter how it is spun, is but a collateral benefit of paying the decades old debt, which is very obviously about access to Iranian oil.

Reactions: PsB
Nazanin's welcome return, no matter how it is spun, is but a collateral benefit of paying the decades old debt, which is very obviously about access to Iranian oil.

Agreed. I view her imprisonment as an entirely innocent citizen the byproduct of Tory arms grift and double-dealing. Her release is a byproduct of the current situation in Russia. Regardless it is wonderful to see and very occasionally Tories will do the right thing even if it is for entirely the wrong reason.

PS It’s yet another expensive selfie opportunity for Liz Truss (Twitter). There appears to be no event she won’t attach a PR photo of herself to.

40 years on, I'm sure I don't remember but I believe they were imposed by a number/a collection of states at the time.

By whom, by the way, since you ask. I suspect it's a subject/object thing if you want to get gramattical. ☺

They did sponsor terrorism, remember. The Iranian Embassy siege was right by my university, a year or two before my arrival. I had contemporaries who had observed it from university buildings.
Yes, it was a deal made a long time ago when Iran was ruled by the Shah who was put in power by a UK and the US military coup that overthrew what many describe as a secular democracy because the the Prime minister of Iran had the audacity to nationalise their own oil. What followed in the form of the Ayatollah was, as you say, worse than anything that went before.

PS I’ll never get the use of propa gramer

advertisement

Back