advertisement

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

She’s not back in the UK yet, Boris may still F... it up!

Maybe Boris is a cunning wotsit?

He's off to Saudi and maybe bring her back on his plane, and take all the plaudits?

I hope that, that family is reunited. Goodness knows we need some good story lines.

If the UK Govt has repaid the £400m stolen from Iran since 1979 all should be good. Why wasn't it repaid 40 years ago ?

If the UK Govt has repaid the £400m stolen from Iran since 1979 all should be good. Why wasn't it repaid 40 years ago ?
I don't think it's been repaid, AIUI the government has indicated it is actively pursuing options to get it repaid.

I can see a few reasons not to repay:

1) Might is right, we have the money and you don't, nerdy nerdy ner ner
2) the Septics might have put a block on payments;
3) justifiable concerns as to what the money would be used for. It's one thing if it pays down debt or gets used in the usual run of things, another if it lines the pockets of despots and oligarchs, and yet another still if it funds weapons, materiel etc used to oppress minorities or the general population.

You have to view this with two sets of eyes.

1) When the Shah paid upfront for Chieftain tanks he was our "friend", he was then ousted by a coup by people who the UK saw as not friendly to us and we didn't want to support that regime. I recall the American embassy hostage crisis...from 1979.

2) Today we accept the current rulers of Iran but we also have sanctions on them. That said it does today feel morally right to pay back in some form that is acceptable given the sanctions position

My view is that it's right to pay the money back now and it should have happened a few years ago but I understand why we didn't repay it in 1979.

To think we have not made major concessions to Iran is very naive.
We are going to need their oil soon.

To think we have not made major concessions to Iran is very naive.
We are going to need their oil soon.
I totally agree...the world has become very much more complicated than ever.

We could do with Iran being helpful to us rather than Russia.

How do we square Iran's desire (or intent?) to destroy Israel?

Do we judge them by what they say or what they do? We probably ought to judge countries and leaders by their actions rather than their words, which may well be aimed at a different audience. But then if we ignore what they say we end up in a Ukraine situation. A nuclear weapons program isn't great either. Ugh.

Am I correct in thinking I read a recent report about Iran launching a missile attack into Iraq?

Until she's arse in the aircraft seat and wheels up I'm not holding my breath. I so hope they do get out.

Yanks barred debt repayment for decades, I think that recent events have overtaken the dogma left over from embassy hostage affair.
Good news made my day, her whole family have been dignified and loyal in face of overwhelming stress.
Her husband is the sort of man we could all learn from and I desperately hope their relationship stays strong and continues to shine in our dark world.
I also prey the daughter doesn’t suffer to much heartache in years to come, for the family it’s far from over.

advertisement

Back