advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn DAC

I'm interested to know how many documented cases of double blind listening tests exist that have ever proved anything that everyone can agree on?

Of course there is no such thing. You will never get *everybody* to agree on anything.

Remember the debate on evolution between Bill Nye and Ken Ham, where both were asked "What would cause you to change your mind?", and while Bill Nye answered "Evidence", Ken Ham answered "Nothing"?

The reason we do blind test is to prove things to *ourselves*.

Julf,

Remember the debate on evolution between Bill Nye and Ken Ham, where both were asked "What would cause you to change your mind?", and while Bill Nye answered "Evidence", Ken Ham answered "Nothing"?
When asked what evidence would destroy his confidence in the theory of evolution the great biologist J.B.S Haldane replied, "Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian."

Bill's reply was OK, but I'm gonna give Haldane the point for awesomeness of response.

The reason we do blind test is to prove things to *ourselves*.
I've done blind tests several times and it's shown me that (a) my hearing isn't as amazing as I had thought and (b) since stuff isn't as different as I thought might as well buy the one I like the look of or whatever.

Joe

When asked what evidence would destroy his confidence in the theory of evolution the great biologist J.B.S Haldane replied, "Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian."

Bill's reply was OK, but I'm gonna give Haldane the point for awesomeness of response.

Yes, I have to agree, that is an awesome response (and I would assume that rabbit fossil would be the Rabbit of Caerbannog.

I've done blind tests several times and it's shown me that (a) my hearing isn't as amazing as I had thought and (b) since stuff isn't as different as I thought might as well buy the one I like the look of or whatever.

That was pretty much my personal conclusion too. It did make me question a fair bit of accepted audiophile folklore.

I think double blind tests are great to put things in perspective.

It could also be interesting to find how some would do in double blind tests of speakers where a sound quality difference is more or less consensual.

I think double blind tests are great to put things in perspective.

It could also be interesting to find how some would do in double blind tests of speakers where a sound quality difference is more or less consensual.
Quite difficult to perform; but why worry about this when there are other comparatively easily performed tests of distortion levels, volume differences etc with experimentally determined detection thresholds?

Quite difficult to perform; but why worry about this when there are other comparatively easily performed tests of distortion levels, volume differences etc with experimentally determined detection thresholds?

It could perhaps be an interesting experience for people who think that if they aren't able to clearly spot a difference in a double blind test it means that the difference doesn't exist or is very small.

If they still aren't able to spot a difference that they know exists that could help them better understand double blind tests.

Can we get off the DBT stuff, and back on-topic re: the Brooklyn, please? DBTs have been done to death in other threads.... ta.

sorry, i'm sure this has been talked about plenty before, but I never had any interest in MQA until I purchased a device with the capability.

Do I have this right? MQA is similar to HDCD. I can purchase MQA albums and listen to them as if they were normal audio files, without MQA decoding? What I'm wondering is, if I purchase a handful of MQA album and MQA never takes off, those files are still useful/listenable?

sorry, i'm sure this has been talked about plenty before, but I never had any interest in MQA until I purchased a device with the capability.

Do I have this right? MQA is similar to HDCD. I can purchase MQA albums and listen to them as if they were normal audio files, without MQA decoding? What I'm wondering is, if I purchase a handful of MQA album and MQA never takes off, those files are still useful/listenable?

Yes.

My Brooklyn arrived from Mytek in Poland yesterday.

It was immediately better than my ailing MDAC (bulging capacitors), which shows that I was right to conclude that my MDAC is now junk (well a donor for an MDAC2 at some point in the future). After 2-3 hours the Brooklyn was pretty awesome. I think that it is already a lot better than the MDAC ever was; I am hearing things, like a singer's breath on a microphone, that I never heard with the MDAC, and the bass seems far better controlled than I remember from a young MDAC.

The Brooklyn is very detailed, not at all harsh and appears simply to be transparent. According to Mytek, it should continue to improve over the next few days, so things are looking good.

So far I have only used it in my digital system consisting of an Aries Mini feeding the Brooklyn via USB, Acoustic Imagery ATSAH 500 mono blocks (NCore NC500 based power amps – interestingly these use switching power supplies, but let’s not go back there!) and B&W 804D3s, so I don’t know what the analogue input is like yet. I will find out at the weekend when I try the Brooklyn with my LP12 (with Ittok and Benz Micro Wood).

One thing I have noticed on the analogue front is that the digital volume control seems better (more detailed) than the analogue one, but this might change with use.

Oh, and I am currently using the internal PSU.

JTC, have you gotten round to try out some MQA recordings (as downloads, either from 2L or ECM, or whoever might offer them)?
Hi Samuel, alas no, as I'm still a bit of a luddite using Logitech Media Server on my NAS drive and Squeezebox Touch. My understanding is that there's no support on that system for MQA. In fact, as I happen to be at home today, I've been spending the past hour and more re-installing LMS so that I can get the plug-ins to work properly and add DSD support. Nearly there.....

I think that it is already a lot better than the MDAC ever was; I am hearing things, like a singer's breath on a microphone, that I never heard with the MDAC, and the bass seems far better controlled than I remember from a young MDAC. The Brooklyn is very detailed, not at all harsh and appears simply to be transparent. According to Mytek, it should continue to improve over the next few days, so things are looking good.
My thoughts exactly. I am loyal to the MDAC2 project, and will certainly get the MDAC2 board, but facing facts, the Brooklyn is in another league from even my modded MDAC L2 Toy, which was very good. I'd go as far as to say that it's a way ahead of (what I recall of my limited time with) the Auralic Vega, but that memory is a bit unreliable. What is for sure is that my system has NEVER sounded better. VERY impressed and although I was skeptical about spending that kind of money on a DAC, given that I could have waited for MDAC2, I have no regrets whatsoever.

Do I have this right? MQA is similar to HDCD. I can purchase MQA albums and listen to them as if they were normal audio files, without MQA decoding?
I take it that for MQA to work, then, I need to have compatibility throughout the chain, i.e. in my case both Logitech Media Server AND my Squeezebox Touch would need to be in some way MQA-aware? Obviously the Brooklyn is, but I would not hold out much hope for LMS/SBT enhancements due to the fact it's now a legacy product....

I take it that for MQA to work, then, I need to have compatibility throughout the chain, i.e. in my case both Logitech Media Server AND my Squeezebox Touch would need to be in some way MQA-aware?

I'm sorry, I don't know. Hooked up to my MacBook Pro, it lights up the MQA icon.

I take it that for MQA to work, then, I need to have compatibility throughout the chain, i.e. in my case both Logitech Media Server AND my Squeezebox Touch would need to be in some way MQA-aware? Obviously the Brooklyn is, but I would not hold out much hope for LMS/SBT enhancements due to the fact it's now a legacy product....

No, supposedly a MQA-aware DAC is enough. There was someone on the squeezebox forum reporting success in playing MQA through LMS and SMT (with EDO).

The whole chain needs to be bit perfect so it should work. The intermediate equipment does not need to MQA aware. If for instance at some stage you introduce some digital volume control then the DAC will only decode 44.1/16 and not MQA. Try some test files from 2L.

advertisement

Back