advertisement

More Wokery at the National Trust

Far-right tabloid culture-war distractions aside 4.7% of the UK population is vegan. Everyone can eat vegan. It is the most non-exclusionary food. From a business perspective do you want to lose 4.7% of your market? Over a year that adds up!

As may be, but really irrelevant unless you're looking to make the last nth possible profit/revenue. 95.3% of the population is more than enough to make a very healthy business and revenue out of should you so wish to not bother with producing products for the minority. That's true for literally any industry vertical.

Well perhaps, but Greggs' vegan sausage rolls are a good and tasty thing in their own right. So what if their origins derive from a meat-baseed product?
Which is fine, just don't call it a sausage. Come up with an alternative name.

I do find it ironic that the kind of people who are likely to be vegan are very likely to be the kind of people who will tell you that "words matter", yet they have no issue with misnaming a misappropriated meat product when they create a vegan "alternative" that bears zero resemblence (apart from shape) to the meat product. Very weird behaviour.

<snip> I do have to say that switching over to purely vegan is clearly an agenda led move, basically saying "we won't serve animal products because we disagree with it". I've always believed it's not the responsibility, and even less the the right, of organisations to make choices for other people.

Edit: ok so they've always been vegitable based, but I still stand by the general point that people should be given a choice. As far as Scones go, I really don't care as long a they taste good. I had a Vegan Croisant once though and it was horrible, so much so that I'd argue that it shouldn't be allowed to call it a Croisant.
The NT serves meat and many other non-vegan dishes, so I doubt it has taken an ethical position on not serving animal products.
As above, just don't even bother trying to make "vegan/vegitarian" Croisants.. it simply isn't a Croisant. Produce something else and give it a different name, it's really not hard.
Perhaps they should call it a 'croisant', which is near enough to 'croissant' to make the association, but is clearly a different thing šŸ˜œ

Reactions: gez
The NT serves meat and many other non-vegan dishes, so I doubt it has taken an ethical position on not serving animal products.

Perhaps they should call it a 'croisant', which is near enough to 'croissant' to make the association, but is clearly a different thing šŸ˜œ
Fair point on the first sentence.

Well yes, my spelling is atrocious, always has been, always will be. My English teacher at school once told me that I always lost the full 10 marks on any peice of scored work due to my spelling and punctuation errors. I was never told I was dyslexic though, (something that I'm starting - 40 years later - to question).

On Steves McD's point about the other meat eater friends. Makes you wonder if "vegan" cafe's etc have thought this through. Given that Vegans (even vegitarians) are still very much the minority, I wonder if such establishments ever considered the fact that maybe some of the vegan clientele they are targeting may not enter their shop because their friends won't join them as there is no product there for them to eat. The difference is, I suspect, that the vegan businesses are very much agenda/ideology led and so are perfectly happy to lose out on business if it means they never have to deal with that dirty/disgusting animal product stuff.

On Steves McD's point about the other meat eater friends. Makes you wonder if "vegan" cafe's etc have thought this through. Given that Vegans (even vegitarians) are still very much the minority, I wonder if such establishments ever considered the fact that maybe some of the vegan clientele they are targeting may not enter their shop because their friends won't join them as there is no product there for them to eat. The difference is, I suspect, that the vegan businesses are very much agenda/ideology led and so are perfectly happy to lose out on business if it means they never have to deal with that dirty/disgusting animal product stuff.
Don't be daft; good vegan stuff is delicious, utterly- transparent to people with other constraints from many religious or some other dietary backgrounds, and such places often worth a visit in their own right for the quality, taste/texture and variety of food on offer. My point - vegan outlets are appealing to very-many more than some reactionary notion of 'very much the minority.'

Don't be daft; good vegan stuff is delicious, uttelry- transparent those with other constraints from many relegious backgrounds,, and such places often worth a visit in their own right for the quality, taste/texture and variety of food on offer.
If you say so.

Which is fine, just don't call it a sausage. Come up with an alternative name.

I do find it ironic that the kind of people who are likely to be vegan are very likely to be the kind of people who will tell you that "words matter", yet they have no issue with misnaming a misappropriated meat product when they create a vegan "alternative" that bears zero resemblence (apart from shape) to the meat product. Very weird behaviour.
Greggs are about as far from a vegan enterprise as you can get.
Iā€™m an omnivore.
I like vegan sausage rolls
I like vegetable sausage rolls.

I Would rather starve than eat a British ā€œmeatā€ sausage roll given the shite they contain.

Hardly. I eat meat, but if one of my vegi or vegan friends invited me to a vegi or vegan resto I'd go, because the fact that I eat meat doesn't mean that I have to eat it *at every meal*. Who's excluded?

Some simple vegetarian or vegan meals are delicious. As an omnivore Iā€™m more than happy to eat and enjoy all food. I adore vegetarian/vegan curries along with many other vegan foods.

Hardly. I eat meat, but if one of my vegi or vegan friends invited me to a vegi or vegan resto I'd go, because the fact that I eat meat doesn't mean that I have to eat it *at every meal*. Who's excluded?
Well, I am vegetarian, but the few vegan establishments I have been to had very dull tasting food, so I would avoid going again.

Ā§
Some simple vegetarian or vegan meals are delicious. As an omnivore Iā€™m more than happy to eat and enjoy all food. I adore vegetarian/vegan curries along with many other vegan foods.
[for the bit in my emphasis] - which means only the great preponderance of the whole cuisine of the Levant/ Middle East/ Indian subcontinent, and SE Asia ++ is open to you. For instance.

What a limiting prospect, eh.

/ rollseyes/

ETA - add North Africa, too, obvs.

Last edited:
Worth remembering I guess that the whole National Trust wokeness kerfuffle kicked off when they decided some folk might be interested in learning that some of the posh houses they look after were built by people connected to the trafficking of enslaved human beings.

This isn't really about scones at all.

P.S. The Royal Africa Company is estimated to have "shipped more enslaved African women, men and children to the Americas than any other single institution during the entire period of the transatlantic slave trade". It's boss? The King of England James II. For some reason the Daily Mail rarely mentions that in it's coverage of the royal family.

Last edited:
Hilarious own goal from The Daily Mail, condemning the NT for secretly removing butter recently from Our Scones when they already published the recipe using margarine in a splash on the NT six years ago. To paraphrase the rancid Melvin MacKenzie, ā€œwhat dies it matter if it wasnā€™t true, they were still great storiesā€.

Huge assumptions being made here about the non-use of butter. My guess is it's cheaper and the product has a longer shelf life. Using the cheapest shortening available has been a thing with commercial baked products for as long as there have been commercial baked products.

Still a win for the DM in creating a vast amount of drivel being discussed. Flood the zone with shit...

Last edited:
Yep.
Anything pulled up from underground are forbidden because of the harm that might have been caused to any fauna around when they were pulled.

If that is the case, they better be growing all of their own food and buying nothing commercial. One thing that never gets much press is that no matter what the crop, mechanized farming kills huge amounts of animals and insects that make their homes either in or next to fields.

I have nothing against Veganism, but the amount of ultra processed food that has sprung up in support of it is astounding. And the majority of stuff going cheap at tescos of an evening is vegan ultra processed shite, so I suspect I am not alone in looking at them sideways.

advertisement

Back