advertisement

More Wokery at the National Trust

What it takes to realise this:

basf-standort-in-ludwigshafen.jpg
No idea what that factory is or what it’s making so not sure the point you’re making.
I made meringues from aquafaba from a tin of chick peas after making hummus.

You’ve got to admit that, on the face of it, it seems odd that the NT has chosen to appease the 4.7% vegan market, rather than the 95.3% non-vegan!
Except that they haven't. The 95% non vegans have eaten their scones without mishap. The non vegans are also free to have a bacon roll, cheese sandwich, or sausage and chips from the NT menu, before, after or even with a scone, if that's what they want.

Finally I've understood that the goal of the Daily Mail is not merely to create drivel but to create infectious drivel that occupies people's time - and people far beyond its own readership - preventing them from discussing things that matter.

And frequently very dull. As a vegetarian for 53 years. And as such I try to avoid foods that tries to be like meat. Yes vegeburgers, I am talking to you.
Yes, I don't get the vegan sausage bit either. If I want to eat vegan food, loads of vegan foods taste great. Falafels, ratatouille, houmous on bread, all great. No need to dress them up.

Far-right tabloid culture-war distractions aside 4.7% of the UK population is vegan. Everyone can eat vegan. It is the most non-exclusionary food. From a business perspective do you want to lose 4.7% of your market? Over a year that adds up!
Even McDo have worked this one out. The driver isn't the 5% who are vegan, it's the considerably more than 5% who have a vegan mate. They have worked out that if there are 4 people wanting to go and have a burger together, if one is a vegan and the resto in question has no vegan options, then all 4 of them walk out and the resto loses not 1 but 4 customers. This suddenly makes a big difference to footfall. One vegan option fixes this.

Yes, I don't get the vegan sausage bit either. If I want to eat vegan food, loads of vegan foods taste great. Falafels, ratatouille, houmous on bread, all great. No need to dress them up.
Well perhaps, but Greggs' vegan sausage rolls are a good and tasty thing in their own right. So what if their origins derive from a meat-baseed product?

But only if it is an option. If not, you may lose the 95%.
Well, yes, the whole thing is about choice. Excluding a majority to favour a majority is just as bad if not worse. Supporting anecdote - I've been a member of a local sporting club for 30 years. Even when I lived elsewhere I kept up my sub most years. Until recently, when they have become so holier than thou and sanctimonious that I no longer feel comfortable around them for fear of offending sensitivities. An example is when I recently suggested that on a suggested club night out "I might come along in the hope of meeting a visiting Swedish women's basketball team". This was removed from the website as it was considered to be sexist. I've discussed this and been told that this is driven by a wish to be "inclusive". Inclusive it may be, but if in so doing you exclude a member of 30 years, it's hardly an inclusive policy, is it? If I were the local answer to Alf Garnett I could understand it, but as plenty here will testify I'm not. I'm confident that were I gay and expressing a desire to meet a Swedish men's sports team I would attract no such censure, and nor would a woman suggesting the same. Yet censuring me for making the comment is "inclusive". Let me tell you, it's f**ing well not.

Well perhaps, but Greggs' vegan sausage rolls are a good and tasty thing in their own right. So what if their origins derive from a meat-baseed product?
That's probably because most "actual" sausage rolls contain almost homoeopathic levels of actual sausage or indeed meat. As such it tends to be the roll and not the sausage that's the bit worth eating. I remember manufacturing some at the cheaper end of the market that were only 10% meat! It hardly seems worth putting it in, which does rather free the way to making a vegan one.

Far-right tabloid culture-war distractions aside 4.7% of the UK population is vegan. Everyone can eat vegan. It is the most non-exclusionary food. From a business perspective do you want to lose 4.7% of your market? Over a year that adds up!
If you are a follower of Jainism some root veg are forbidden.

The Daily Mail is running with the alarming exclusive that National Trust scones are VEGAN!!!

Critics have condemned the use of a vegetable-based spread instead of butter in the baking as a 'virtue-signalling betrayal', in what looks like yet another woke row involving the charity.

Campaign group Restore Trust, which wants to rid the charity of its 'divisive ideologies' and 'activism', slammed the move.

Swivel-eyed loon Sir Bill Cash MP, who often has tea and scones in the House of Commons, said: 'It makes me wonder what will happen next – will they stop selling Madeira cake because of historical events in Madeira? There's far too much wokery going on at the National Trust, this is just the latest example.'
The whole woke thing is clearly nonsense. But I do believe people should be given the choice, so I'd say the appropriate thing to have done is provide vegan option scones rather than just switch them all over to vegan.

I'm certainly no DM fan but I do have to say that switching over to purely vegan is clearly an agenda led move, basically saying "we won't serve animal products because we disagree with it". I've always believed it's not the responsibility, and even less the the right, of organisations to make choices for other people.

Edit: ok so they've always been vegitable based, but I still stand by the general point that people should be given a choice. As far as Scones go, I really don't care as long a they taste good. I had a Vegan Croisant once though and it was horrible, so much so that I'd argue that it shouldn't be allowed to call it a Croisant.

The difficulty with vegan alternatives to traditional foods that contain meat products is that you are changing the fundamental chemistry of the thing and then trying to make it perform in a similar fashion to the original. It's bloody hard. Leaving the fat out of cream results in something very different, just like leaving the sugar out of chocolate does. You wouldn't try to make something that resembled a chickpea using only meat and dairy products, so making something that resembles cheese or beefburger from vegetables alone is going to be extraordinarily difficult and probably unsuccessful.
Which is why I've never understood why (some) Vegans and Vegitarians insist on replicating animal product based food stuffs. I mean what's the Quorn "drumstick" all about?? Clearly made to look like a chicken product etc.. Just embrace your veganism/vegitarianism and produce a distinct and different set of dishes etc to eat. I find the whole "pretend to be a meat product" concept very very bizare.

As above, just don't even bother trying to make "vegan/vegitarian" Croisants.. it simply isn't a Croisant. Produce something else and give it a different name, it's really not hard.

advertisement

Back