advertisement

Moon Landing .. congrats to India

It is a country I have never wanted to visit.
The treatment of women, and the heat being two instant reasons.

For the record - my Mother-in-Law grew up in India, and was definitely part of the tail end of the British Raj. Adds another dimension to my viewpoint.
It's a country of contrasts. As part of her degree course at Basel, our younger daughter did a stint at NARL (National Atmospherics Research Laboratory) in southern India - they research the atmosphere using an enormous radar array, and are affiliated with the Indian space programme. She loved it, and goes back frequently to visit the family of her supervisor, who have more or less adopted her. A small blonde girl in southern India must be a rarity, but she never had any problems.

There were/are houses in Ascot and Windlesham with armed guards.

How do they do that over here? If I stood outside my house with shotgun for any length of time, purely in the interests of property / family security, I’m sure the police would be having a word.

How do they do that over here? If I stood outside my house with shotgun for any length of time, purely in the interests of property / family security, I’m sure the police would be having a word.

You are obviously :-

1) Insufficiiently rich.

2) A very dubious character.

You are obviously :-

1) Insufficiiently rich.

2) A very dubious character.

Clearly. These guys with shooters outside houses in Ascot, what can they do in the event of perceived threat? Shoot to kill or just an incapacitating shot to the leg? Different rules in India obviously….!

No shotguns, just pistols. Arab royal families who can basically do what the hell they want. That came from a neighbour who was a senior planning officer. The things she told us that went on!!

Many years ago, there was an attempted break in at De Beers in Sunningdale. Our house backed onto their grounds. Police helicopter with night sun floodlight so I went out to have a nosey. The ex John Lennon house (think White Album) is next door to us and De Beers. It was/ is owned by Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, former President of the United Arab Emirates and former ruler of Abu Dhabi. Armed guards everywhere as they thought it was an attempt to break into their place. Several other Arab Royals in the area, guards on the gates with a hand out of site.

I guess there are a lot of ways to calculate the total cost of a lunar mission. Has the salary of the professors of astrophysics been counted in ?

Probably not. I would suggest that that cost is purely for the contract to build and launch the spacecraft, but may well include the mission controllers.

It’s been so many years since man has been on the moon the Clangers must be starving, I hope the new rations aren’t too spicy:D

Last edited:
No shotguns, just pistols. Arab royal families who can basically do what the hell they want. That came from a neighbour who was a senior planning officer. The things she told us that went on!!

Many years ago, there was an attempted break in at De Beers in Sunningdale. Our house backed onto their grounds. Police helicopter with night sun floodlight so I went out to have a nosey. The ex John Lennon house (think White Album) is next door to us and De Beers. It was/ is owned by Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, former President of the United Arab Emirates and former ruler of Abu Dhabi. Armed guards everywhere as they thought it was an attempt to break into their place. Several other Arab Royals in the area, guards on the gates with a hand out of site.

Yep, I’ve visited a few houses in your area that have had G-wagons and men with shoulder holsters sat outside in suits... Some scary, powerful people round there.

I have a friend who complained that the BLM movement is too prominent in the media, that other causes are overshadowed, diminished, as a consequence. As though BLM was culpable. He argued with a stranger who tried to explain that more than one movement can coexist, simultaneously. That a vital tenet of critical thinking is, in part, developing the ability to hold more than one, possibly conflicting, viewpoints, at a time. My friend punched the stranger and knocked him down. But he went off miserable, because he knew he was wrong.

Gotta say, I’d f***ing love to go to the moon.

Yep, I’ve visited a few houses in your area that have had G-wagons and men with shoulder holsters sat outside in suits... Some scary, powerful people round there.
In the early days of satellite TV, pre Sky, I had a system installed by a guy I had worked with at Rediffusion. He told me of some incredible experiences. Once, he was asked to install a system for an Arab Royal family that would guarantee to show certain Middle East channels 365 day a year, despite them only being there for Royal Ascot etc. To do that, he had to import a very large dish from USA by private plane! Armed guards oversaw the installation.....The service contract alone for that was staggering. You can still see the dish farm when the gates are open.

'Kin'ell ! That's cheap. We spent 466 times that amount on a Covid app & call-centre system that didn't work.

Amazing achievement. I've been totally avoiding the news recently, so missed the build-up to this.

Ikea-level pricing but it works - really impressive.

309504.jpg

My understanding is that they used the Earth to orbit many times to build up speed to compensate for their power/size/budget - Great.
Whereas the U.S. used a massive rocket/fuel to achieve
velocity, thus costing much more.

Last edited:
"Mars"

Yep...some basic map reading skills may be required here....

Well done to the team who landed this - huge respect.

Which houses? Who lives there?
Tittenhurst comes to mind, which Ringo sold to the Emir of Abu Dhabi, who probably never spent much time there. And with nobody in the house, or one of his children sporadically, I guess it’s not a bad idea to have it guarded, especially as a former Beatle residence.

advertisement

Back