advertisement

Moon Landing .. congrats to India

hifinutt

hifinutt
Wow , well done to the amazing guys who pulled this one off

1. India's Chandrayaan-3 becomes the first space mission to land near the south pole of the Moon
  2. "India is now on the Moon," announces PM Narendra Modi immediately after the Vikram lander touches down on the lunar surface
  3. Inside the lander is the six-wheeled Pragyaan rover, which, if all goes to plan, will roam the lunar surface gathering images and data
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-india-66576580

Now maybe India could take care of its huge poor population instead of spending money on space exploration and nuclear weapons.

yes this is always the debate , but you could argue that by advancing technology they improve their earning power and thereby have greater resources to make sure the poor and needy are looked after

yes this is always the debate , but you could argue that by advancing technology they improve their earning power and thereby have greater resources to make sure the poor and needy are looked after

And in the meantime, people die. A weak argument

I was thinking along the above lines. But it seems that since 2014 India has refused foreign aid. (Is this really true?) It still seems odd that in Israel, for instance, there are thousands of Indians working as cleaners (admittedly very well paid) because they could not earn a living in India.

A trickle-down economic model, then ? I’d be wary here if I were you.

Maybe but to see the millions celebrating and the look on childrens faces as they celebrate their success is fantastic . Hopefully it will inspire much more development and yes address the many social needs of which many countries have .

Larry norman ( my avatar)says in one of his songs ..."they beat the russians to the moon "....

In this case its rather apt ..

That’s an amazing achievement. Other superpowers tried and failed, America even said that if they were there first others wouldn’t be allowed to touch ‘their’ resources… Now india have made it first they are demanding zero ownership of land… hypocritical much.

Great achievement by India. And done cleverly on a 'low' budget. Things like a smaller and less powerful rocket, thus using less fuel, that had to be sent around the earth a few times for 'free' to generate the velocity required to get to the moon.

Reactions: PsB
I have spent alot of time working in India - probably visited about 55 times sometimes for short visits, and other times for months on end over a period of about 12 years. i have been based in many (maybe most) first cities and a considerable number of second cities. i have taught and spoken in universities, colleges, schools and a fair few rural communities.

India is a seriously complex place, but an openly divided society. Some parts are enormously privileged and others oppressed. The government is right wing, and that sustains the divides in society.

I think think this is a massively significant achievement - a huge technological and scientific advance for the country. It will give a well earned boost to the population, and it is a clear sign of independent development in the realm of space exploration. Have no doubts it will be politicized by the government. India has long been a powerhouse of technological exploitation and success, but no really an innovator. They have lots of people, with lots of good understanding of tech, on low wages - exploited just as much by the west as internally.

I say good luck to them, and long may it continue - but please do not view the country as a whole through rose tinted specs.......go work there for a while as you will see what i mean......

advertisement

Back