advertisement

Miles Davis

Still very pricey so I'd hope the mastering is good. My Columbia Live Evil was only a tenner, although that is much easier to get hold of.
I can see I'm going to have to get the lot as they are the best Miles Davis records.

Just bought the Dark Magus from Amazon for $28, picked up the Miles from India as well.

4 Men With Beards label, so almost certainly from a digital master.

Haven't read any reviews of this one. The only other record I have from the label is Dusty from Memphis, not a favorite but it's more the music...

I passed on a 70s Columbia pressing of Pangea a couple of weeks back, meaning to check as to whether there are significant differences in the editing compared to the recent CD. It probably works best as 2 unbroken tracks anyway. Top album though.
Some CD versions of Pangea (and also Agharta) are a bit longer than the original vinyl releases, as they restore some passages that were edited out on the original release.

Visions of Miles: The Electric Period of Miles Davis. My favourite Miles at the mo,' most pleasing.

I'm a bit of a completist when it comes to Miles and all the records have their moments if you set them in context for which there are plenty of books to read to help... eg funny how the electric stuff that followed after Bitches Brew was generally seen then as just assembled from jamming and cut afterwards in the studio by Teo Macero into listenable forms and now is very fashionable and viewed as ground-breaking music.

Despite all the conservative critics (Marsalis, Crouch etc) of his post 70s work, I don't believe Miles put anything out that he didn't mean us to listen to - Quiet Nights was released against his wishes and he went ballistic with Columbia over it.

eg funny how the electric stuff that followed after Bitches Brew was generally seen then as just assembled from jamming and cut afterwards in the studio by Teo Macero into listenable forms and now is very fashionable and viewed as ground-breaking music.

That's the way with lots of music, particularly when an established artist does something their 'fans' decide they don't like - seems very similar to Bob Dylan going electric to me (only with better music).

I don't believe Miles put anything out that he didn't mean us to listen to - Quiet Nights was released against his wishes and he went ballistic with Columbia over it.

The only reason I keep it in my collection is so I don't accidentally purchase it again.

Both wonderful albums IMO, probably as extreme as he got with the dark full-tilt 70s funk grooves, I'd have loved to see that stuff live, just so intense. No idea what's good on vinyl / what the current issues are like though, I'm just going from the 70+ CD Columbia box set, which is one of my favourite things!

Would be interesting to listen to a cut from your Dark Magus CD captured from your preamp tape output to compare with my vinyl.

Would be interesting to listen to a cut from your Dark Magus CD captured from your preamp tape output to compare with my vinyl.

That assumes my preamp has a tape output, which somewhat annoyingly, it doesn't!

That assumes my preamp has a tape output, which somewhat annoyingly, it doesn't!

That's too bad. Got my copy today. Says that it's made for 4 Men With Beard by Sony Corporation. Haven't listened to it yet.

That's too bad. Got my copy today. Says that it's made for 4 Men With Beard by Sony Corporation. Haven't listened to it yet.

sony/columbia indeed, that's what it says on my 4MWB copy of MD - Live Evil which I recently sourced from hmv for £14.99.
Btw, I think it is mis-priced there being marked as 1LP, which in fact is 2LP release. Not sure if in stock though...

that's the one

i listen to miles everyday, like i drink water or coffee and i specifically listen to "so what" everyday. sometimes it's the only track i listen to and it's been like that for most of the last 35 years, since i heard it for the first time. my favorite miles period is the second quartet (hancock, shorter, carter, williams) what is so great with miles is that his different inspirations cover almost all the bases of jazz from bop to funk and beyond if it weren't for trane's impulse years, i'm pretty sure i could listen to miles exclusively.

advertisement

Back