advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
However just a simple RPI with an IQ dac or Allo sitting on top beats it hands down for SQ in both terms of depth of sound and clarity. The comparisons were made with other PFM guys present and level matched and blind, with the MDAC being recently recapped and in top fettle.

Will it be possible for you to get a listen to the DevDac + Streamer when it's released? I'd like to see how that compares. I'm quite surprised that you found the RPI+IQ dac bettered the MDAC. Are you in on the MDAC2 project?

I will try installing Squeezelite when I get "Developer edition" of the DevDAC and Streamer as well as RoonBridge. Might also try libSpotify which is spotify connect.

Rune,

That would be great :) !

Is squeezelite operating just as a headless renderer or does it also work with HDMI / Keyboard?

Also, we will release a 800x480 capacitive touch panel that works with the DEVDAC/Streamer combo ASAP.

I'm not sure how customisable Squeezelite is - but if it is, it be great to add "buttons" for input selection, Volume and Filters - I'm not sure how much you are able to work with the code. Maybe Volume control is already implemented via HID.

As the MDAC2 streamer hardware is compatible with the standalone MiniStreamer - the MiniStreamer would offer Plug and Play Squeezelite to those who are not part of the MDAC2 project.

Last edited:
Will it be possible for you to get a listen to the DevDac + Streamer when it's released? I'd like to see how that compares. I'm quite surprised that you found the RPI+IQ dac bettered the MDAC. Are you in on the MDAC2 project?

While we certainly taken no steps in this direction, I'm sure that with time we will be in a position to offer a CNC chassis for the DEVDAC and Streamer + Touch Panel.

We have the DETOX CNC chassis around the corner, once these are manufactured I can then I can work with the supplier on a DEVDAC chassis - but this will not be for atleast 3 months.

Hi Harry, I expect you think you’re being clever, but to be honest you come across as a bit of an arse.

Indeed, since the introduction of the 'like' button, our Harry with his witty interjections seems to have received none, maybe he could reflect upon why this could be.

Though I believe Harry has purchased a Mytek Brooklyn which includes an inbuilt phono stage which the manufacturer claims to be equivalent to one costing $ 20,000. (no not a typo)

Quite a bold claim for a unit ( DAC, headphone amp, volume control, preamp, phono stage), with a retail tag of under $ 2500.

When Harry starts his own thread about a product with which he may have some knowledge I will be able to post the following.

Manufacturer talk of this module being commensurate with “$20,000” units is nothing more than unchecked hyperbole; wishful thinking that does Mytek’s ordinarily down-to-earth approach a disservice.
(From Digital Audio Review)

Harry's next cheap jibe post is likely to receive a less succinct reply from myself as the wasted bandwidth has a detrimental effect on the planets resources.

Last edited:
JohnW,

Just in case you missed it, I sent you an email asking to be included in the development kit order. Lets see what this streamer and devdac can do.

Cheers!.

Thank you - and welcome aboard the "Streamer" club - it would be good to have your feedback to Michelangelo WRT bugs and operation.

Just to clarify, do you want the DEVDAC + MDAC2 Streamer PCB and the standalone MiniStreamer?

Harry's next cheap jibe post is likely to receive a less succinct reply from myself as the wasted bandwidth has a detrimental effect on the planets resources.

I'm happy to report that with the new format the 'ignore' function is much better: instead of a blank post + 'This member is on your ignore list', there is no evidence of any activity at all. So any troll can simply be left to play with himself.

Hi, yes Timola, if anyone local did ever get one of the new offerings then I would like to hear it without doubt. I don't blame you being surprised about my findings either, you are probably not as surprised as I was when I finally got around to playing the the RPI and the DAC/clocker modules available for it.
All this info. was gleaned on here and a few people told me I'd be impressed with it.
In previous threads I've told about the various quite decent DACs we've had set up here and how the RPI has been shamed by none, actually bettering most.

In answer to your question, no I'm not on the list or have money tied up in this programme. I did speak to JW about it though when he was recapping and working on my mdac a couple of years back. I fully intended joining the group but found things got a little bit too complicated for me regarding what was on offer. As I say the MDAC, especially with its upgraded bits was doing a terrific job in various systems I owned, hence my initial instinct to join in, however when I discovered what the tiny ciggie packet sized skeleton of a thing could do I really lost interest in even looking at streamers/dacs any more.

I've been disappointed by many things promised when buying new add ons for various kit, and various upgrades have often made zilch difference, however the RPI and Les's TPR4 hicap modules were 2 items that bucked that trend.
Cheers.

Indeed, since the introduction of the 'like' button, our Harry with his witty interjections seems to have received none, maybe he could reflect upon why this could be.

Though I believe Harry has purchased a Mytek Brooklyn which includes an inbuilt phono stage which the manufacturer claims to be equivalent to one costing $ 20,000. (no not a typo)

Quite a bold claim for a unit ( DAC, headphone amp, volume control, preamp, phono stage), with a retail tag of under $ 2500.

When Harry starts his own thread about a product with which he may have some knowledge I will be able to post the following.

(From Digital Audio Review)

Hi Misterdog. You're correct that I purchased a Brooklyn. A lovely piece of kit and I'm delighted with it. By far the best DAC I've ever owned. I think you'll find it gets superb reviews.

For some reason you then start some nonsense about the Brooklyn's phono stage. Whether you are correct in whatever assertion you are trying to make is of no concern to me. I don't need a phono stage and never will need one. If Mytek did a version without phono I'd have bought that.

You then say

"When Harry starts his own thread about a product with which he may have some knowledge I will be able to post the following"

OK. You are posting on this thread about a product that isn't available and that you've never heard. So how does that work?

As for the insults towards me I've never resorted to personal insults and won't start now.

Hi Misterdog. You're correct that I purchased a Brooklyn. A lovely piece of kit and I'm delighted with it. By far the best DAC I've ever owned. I think you'll find it gets superb reviews.

For some reason you then start some nonsense about the Brooklyn's phono stage. Whether you are correct in whatever assertion you are trying to make is of no concern to me. I don't need a phono stage and never will need one. If Mytek did a version without phono I'd have bought that.

You then say

"When Harry starts his own thread about a product with which he may have some knowledge I will be able to post the following"

OK. You are posting on this thread about a product that isn't available and that you've never heard. So how does that work?

As for the insults towards me I've never resorted to personal insults and won't start now.

I can see some resemblance with HarryB's posts and the Little child in H C Andersens The Emperors New Clothes ... quite refreshing I think

" .....
"But he hasn't got anything on," a little child said.

"Did you ever hear such innocent prattle?" said its father. And one person whispered to another what the child had said, "He hasn't anything on. A child says he hasn't anything on."

"But he hasn't got anything on!" the whole town cried out at last.

The Emperor shivered, for he suspected they were right. But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all.
"

Thank you - and welcome aboard the "Streamer" club - it would be good to have your feedback to Michelangelo WRT bugs and operation.

Just to clarify, do you want the DEVDAC + MDAC2 Streamer PCB and the standalone MiniStreamer?

I'll be needing the DEVDAC + MDAC2 Streamer. Thanks.

I'll be needing the DEVDAC + MDAC2 Streamer. Thanks.

Noted - thank you :)

The standalone mini-streamer will cost around GBP289 and you can offset your GBP50 Detox development funding towards it.

The Mini streamer connects to the any USB DAC - and features a basic level USB Detox path for the external USB input (you can select external USB device or Streamer output to the USB DAC). The external USB signal is filtered and "Detox'ed" before being sent to the DAC.

The Mini Streamer uses the same software environment as the MDAC2 streamer so you can added other devices to the MDAC2 streamer environment (for mulitroom etc).

Asides from Streaming and USB Detox, the Mini streamer also provides a low noise clean 5V power to self-powered DAC's such as our Pro-Ject S2 designs.

The Ministreamer supports 384KHz and DSD128 (and hopefully DSD256 native) steaming, and we can fit larger internal RAM (during production) and includes WiFi....

FEATURES :

- Playback of all major file formats: PCM up to 24bits / 384 kHz , DSD128

- Playback from local storage, from USB drive or NAS

- Dirble and Shoutcast WebRadio directories

- Bluetooth playback support

- UPNP renderer capability

- ROON Ready Endpoint

- CD Playback and ripping support

- Favourites and playlists handling

- Multiroom control (each device can play different music and can be controlled from a single app)

- Multi-device selection from UI

- Multi-language UI

- First configuration Wizard

- PC USB input - decontamination of localy connected PC USB output

- OTA - Over The Air updates and USB updates

The Ministreamer design is "basically" the MDAC2 streamer board and basic Detox folded into a standalone chassis and will be run on the SMD line at the same time as we build the MDAC2 Streamer / DEVDAC boards - so if its chassis goes to plan will be available within the next 30 days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/viw0lbimzso0wot/MiniStreamer A01 PCB.JPG?dl=0

We have used an "off the shelf" extrusion from China - I'm in contact with the vendor to customise the design (silkscreen and front & rear panel cut-outs) - they say they can ship within the next 10 days.

Last edited:
PCB's reserved for the "Developers addition" DEVDAC & Streamer from the first production batch to be shipped in the next 30 days:-

Rune
Hluga
Stephen Grenfell
Jadidih101

Misterdog - did you want a set?

Standalone MiniStreamer:-

Jadidih101
KevinNZ
Jansen

Last edited:
Noted - thank you :)

The standalone mini-streamer will cost around GBP289 and you can offset your GBP50 Detox development funding towards it.

The Mini streamer connects to the any USB DAC - and features a basic level USB Detox path for the external USB input (you can select external USB device or Streamer output to the USB DAC). The external USB signal is filtered and "Detox'ed" before being sent to the DAC.

JohnW,

I'll take this instead of one of my DETOX boxes. I will use it with one of my MDACs for now but it would be nice if you could find a way to use this with DEVDAC in future.

Cheers.

H

I've been disappointed by many things promised when buying new add ons for various kit, and various upgrades have often made zilch difference, however the RPI and Les's TPR4 hicap modules were 2 items that bucked that trend.
Cheers.

I can also vouch for Les's NCC200 based amps which are impressive, particularly at the price point.

I found the MDAC to be on a par with the Linn DSM at over 5 times the cost of the MDAC in my listening tests at home.

I'm hoping the MDAC2 and FDAC will put my system in the top league as far as DACs goes....I am also affected by the aesthetics of a product and with the CNC chassis John has shown me and some pictures of his design tastes I'm confident John will deliver some very sexy products....once he gets around to looking at the chassis...:D

PS: (the HQPSU and Detox Chassis I saw were quality)...:D

While we certainly taken no steps in this direction, I'm sure that with time we will be in a position to offer a CNC chassis for the DEVDAC and Streamer + Touch Panel.

We have the DETOX CNC chassis around the corner, once these are manufactured I can then I can work with the supplier on a DEVDAC chassis - but this will not be for atleast 3 months.

John, As you know I'm no good at getting things to work and wouldn't be any good at giving sonic quality feedback, I seem to be in disagreement with most other audiophiles, particularly here on PFM when it comes to what sounds good (I think Active Bricks sound great...go figure..:mad:).

So the DevDac/Streamer combo is not for me. I'm waiting for the first MDAC2 to be released (MDAC2-DDA I believe). I'm also very interested in the FDAC.

Since most people will be using their current Development payments for the FDAC/MADAC2 on the forthcoming MDAC2 like me. I was wondering whether opening the book on the FDAC with an initial Development fee may help your cash flow, particularly for reeled components that would be used on both designs . I would certainly commit to say GBP500 towards the FDAC development costs.

Ignoring the naysayers, I wonder how many believers like me would commit to help with a FDAC development fee?...I do sometimes get alarmed at the money John is spending, maybe John's really rich?...;)

Perhaps the best way is to work out the final costs of the MDAC2 now and ask the keenest (like me) for final payment now?

Hi,

is there some web page (or forum post) with a reference to DEVDAC specs/features?
(Power requirements, headphone out, single ended / balanced output etc...)

Perhaps the best way is to work out the final costs of the MDAC2 now and ask the keenest (like me) for final payment now?
I'd be prepared to make the next stage payment. Also, I'm curious as to whether a pair of VFETs with DACs built in will require one, or even two Detox(es). (Never having owned active speakers, I'm a bit hazy on the digital architecture.)

However just a simple RPI with an IQ dac or Allo sitting on top beats it hands down for SQ in both terms of depth of sound and clarity. The comparisons were made with other PFM guys present and level matched and blind, with the MDAC being recently recapped and in top fettle.

The RPI does the streaming job too with aplomb, especially for less than the price of a decent meal out.

Believe it.

I have an RPi with an Allo Boss DAC and it is night and day compared to my MDAC (I remember when the Pi was rubbished on this forum so it's ironic that it's now accepted unconditionally...). My MDAC now has dust on it.

I am a customer, of several products, but will wait patiently for listening comparisons to have been made by others before acting.

I'd be prepared to make the next stage payment. Also, I'm curious as to whether a pair of VFETs with DACs built in will require one, or even two Detox(es). (Never having owned active speakers, I'm a bit hazy on the digital architecture.)

Only the Master DAC controlling them can be used in combination with a Detox.

That is if everything hasn't changed again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back