advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some web page (or forum post) with a reference to DEVDAC specs/features?
(Power requirements, headphone out, single ended / balanced output etc...)

There is No headphone output - but you can connect headphones directly to the RCA or balanced outputs - the output stage can drive most headphones without problem.

DEVDAC development PCB:-

• PCM 768KHz 32 Bits with native DSD support to DSD512 (Via USB)
  • Streamer board, USB, Optical and Coax input
  • THD 0.0005% and 125dB Dynamic range Awtd Dynamic range
  • RCA Output (2VRMS)
  • True balanced XLR Output (4VRMS)
  • Triple 44.1KHz, 48KHz & "ASRC mode" Low phase noise Master clock sources
  • Selectable Digital filter support
  • ADC expansion port
  • DC Power input jack (12V 1A - Center Pin Positive) - Includes Streamer board
  • Calibrated distortion trim coefficients stored on EEPROM (Free on "Developers addition" boards)
  • Audio Clock-Locked USB, Ethernet, PSU & ARM CPU when used with MDAC2 Streamer PCB
  • Optional standalone operation with 2nd port USB upgrade & Front panel
  • Support for MQA subject to approval and Fee
  • 22 regulated PSU rails

Perhaps the best way is to work out the final costs of the MDAC2 now and ask the keenest (like me) for final payment now?

I'd be prepared to make the next stage payment.

Thank you guys for the kind offer - but I'd spend the funds before it came time to purchase the components for your units!!! its why its so important to keep production separate from development funding :)

I do sometimes get alarmed at the money John is spending, maybe John's really rich?...;)

Well not anymore I can tell you!!! :p

Hey you don't have to listen to what Renata has to say about it all - We have both been spraying "Deep Heat" onto each others backs after lugging the 60Kg BGQ Rework station up the Lab stairs - should the second 60Kg part of the shipment arrive - then thankfully its just smaller individual items!!!

JohnW,

I'll take this instead of one of my DETOX boxes. I will use it with one of my MDACs for now but it would be nice if you could find a way to use this with DEVDAC in future.

Cheers.

OK noted - Thank you :) I'll send the invoice once we have confirmation that the vendor will ship the chassis :)

Hi John

Did I read correctly earlier that the streamer will "...work with any DAC via USB"? I currently stream to my Audiolab CDQ from a Squeezebox Touch via USB (EDO upgrade) but I am willing to bet that the new streamer would be better (due at the very least to it's Detox attributes). If you could please confirm this for me, I would be very happy to sign up (and would like to divert my Detox £50 towards it).

Cheers,
Kevin.

Hi John

Did I read correctly earlier that the streamer will "...work with any DAC via USB"? I currently use a Squeezebox Touch via USB (EDO upgrade) but I am willing to bet that the streamer would be better (due to it's Detox attributes at least). If you could please confirm this for me, I would be very happy to sign up (and would like to divert my Detox £50 towards it).

Cheers,
Kevin.

Kevin,

Yes, the Ministreamer is a standalone Streamer which is designed to work with an external DAC's via USB.

How do you operate your Squeezebox Touch - via its Touch screen UI?

I've no experience of installing Squeezebox on RPi compatible platform - and is it then operated "headless" or via HDMI / keyboard... or via Phone App. etc???

Rune here plans to try and install SqueezeLite on the streamer hardware....

John,

Yes, Touch screen UI. Is there a possibility that the streamer might be able to be shipped with Logitech Media Server capability? I'm afraid I'm not very well up on this sort of thing (although DanOfDanger is in NZ and has helped me before so whatever software it was to be shipped with, I should be ok with his assistance). Either way, can you please add me to the list?

Cheers,
Kevin.

...sorry John, I should have mentioned that I don't actually own an MDAC -I use my CDQ just as a DAC. This presumably would mean I can't get the considerable benefit of clock-locking :(

Kevin,

With the Ministreamer connected to the CDQ via the ASync USB interface you gain a "Jitterless" interface, Akin to clock locking a CD transport :)

PCB's reserved for the "Developers addition" DEVDAC & Streamer from the first production batch to be shipped in the next 30 days:-

Rune
Hluga
Stephen Grenfell
Jadidih101

Standalone MiniStreamer:-

Jadidih101
KevinNZ (Credit from Detox)
scubaboy (Credit from Detox)

Last edited:
There is No headphone output - but you can connect headphones directly to the RCA or balanced outputs - the output stage can drive most headphones without problem.

DEVDAC development PCB:-

• PCM 768KHz 32 Bits with native DSD support to DSD512 (Via USB)
  • Streamer board, USB, Optical and Coax input
  • THD 0.0005% and 125dB Dynamic range Awtd Dynamic range
  • RCA Output (2VRMS)
  • True balanced XLR Output (4VRMS)
  • Triple 44.1KHz, 48KHz & "ASRC mode" Low phase noise Master clock sources
  • Selectable Digital filter support
  • ADC expansion port
  • DC Power input jack (12V 1A - Center Pin Positive) - Includes Streamer board
  • Calibrated distortion trim coefficients stored on EEPROM (Free on "Developers addition" boards)
  • Audio Clock-Locked USB, Ethernet, PSU & ARM CPU when used with MDAC2 Streamer PCB
  • Optional standalone operation with 2nd port USB upgrade & Front panel
  • Support for MQA subject to approval and Fee
  • 22 regulated PSU rails

Thanks John

I'm interested in DEVDAC purchase (already paid for the streamer board) to participate in streamer software development / testing, but I don't like idea of paying 300GBP for the component which would end up in basement shelf after MDAC2 is shipped. :(
I have a need for decent quality office DAC, and I believe DEVDAC would fit nicely, but I'm concerned with additional effort/cost involved to transform DEVDAC into Standalone DAC.
What would be the the minimum "investment" for this transformation? DAC between office PC and headphones?

Cheers!
Branislav

Last edited:
Okay from the way John has described it, the DDA is definitely the one for me. However, I still need to know what the output voltage will be - I need the current 3V (unbalanced) as an absolute minimum, and ideally 4V or more.

John, would you recommend the the DDA variant for driving a pair of Active Monitors with a 20ohm balanced input? I'm leaning towards the better analogue stage for this purpose.

Hi John, one of the few things your competitors still do not have is the AV BYPASS.

Please don’t remove this from your designs...it is a very important feature for me, as is for some others that I know on this Project! Even if the headphone XLR can be wired/used for the Bypass, that would suffice as a special Dual RCA to XLR could be made up?

Many thanks

Paul

I have not read anywhere that John should have removed this feature from the MDAC2 design so do we really need 100 me too posts?
Think we have already been through this a couple of times before. ;)

I have not read anywhere that John should have removed this feature from the MDAC2 design so do we really need 100 me too posts?
Think we have already been through this a couple of times before. ;)

With ADC this is removed already ...just in case there are thoughts to remove it (as things tend to evolve a lot around here) it would be catastrophic for me as I’d have no use/place for the MDAC in my system...and for quite a few others.

Let it be known before it’s too late

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back