advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a big 50 Hz boom which made some tracks unlisenable but using a DSP plate amp for bass with a notch filter at that frequency has solved that problem.
There is a temptation to use DSP to get an overall flatter response but this from my experience tends to suck the life out of music so only treat the peaks that genuinely degrade your listening and ignore the troughs.

I had the same experience (also 50hz boom) and totally agree. Addressing only the problem you can hear is the way to go.

The Oppo sonica DAC does not have an ADC but if you just want a dac without any headphone jack it seams to be fine. Another limitation is that it only supports 2 channels but good multichannel processors cost a lot of money.
Not sure if USB-accessible, but the AUX IN seems to have a low-rate ADC,
7. Don't use the AUX In for high quality sources. The 24/48 digital resampling for the AUX Input likely will diminish the quality of whatever device you're connecting. Not ideal but OK if all you're doing is connecting a "standard resolution" device like a CD or MP3 player. Maybe next time, they can use a higher quality 24/96 ADC.
from http://archimago.blogspot.se/2017/06/measurements-oppo-sonica-dac-ess-sabre.html
or ie.
The OPPO Sonica App interface
Another useful feature is a set of RCA analog inputs that will allow the connection of another source to the Sonica DAC. The DAC can then either play this input back through its own analog outputs or stream it to other Sonica devices. The penalty is that this input needs to be digitized to go through the Sonica’s volume control and be available for streaming. The input is digitized with a TI PCM1808 ADC chip at 24 bit 48 kHz. This input is not intended as a high quality “preamp” input, just as a way to add an analog source to a whole-home Sonica audio system.
from http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/dac/oppo-digital-sonica-dac-review/ .

I did check out the test more and the poor dynamic range measured(110dBA) is the same for almost all dacs to it must be his setup that is limited.
The relvant section is this (dealing with XLR outputs)
"XLR vs. RCA:
IMO, if you really want to squeeze out the absolute best from today's DACs in high resolution, make sure to use balanced cables...

Unfortunately, the Focusrite Forte cannot handle the high peak voltage of 3.5V from the Sonica DAC. As a result, I had to use the digital volume control to pull back the amplitude by 4dB to get the following results (let's just look at 24/96):
[shows 115dB SNR]

As you can see, I've highlighted the -4dB adjustment I had to make to the Sonica DAC and -3dB with the TEAC UD-501. These compensations obviously would hamper the noise floor results. As impressive as the BDP-105's noise level and dynamic range are, if we added another 4dB back into the Sonica DAC's results, we would be expecting close to 120dB dynamic range or about 20-bits of resolution. This is the highest resolution I have ever seen within the limitations of the hobbyist equipment I'm using. Along with this, we see vanishingly low distortion results with the Sonica DAC. Impressive."

TBH I'm not sure how he gets this result with the focusrite forte whose specs are here -clearly they are hard up against their limits.
https://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/forte/specifications

John my mdac has gone quiet.

I used headphones for the first time in ages last night and on return to it today it can't be coaxed out of silence on either xlr out of headphones. Mute is not active...

It also says unlocked under the USB input. optical and spdif are similarly dead.

What do you reckon, relay or crystal?

John, The editor of the german magazin STEREO is enthusiastic about your Pre Box S2 Digital!

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/uwe061/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxMzAyNTMxNTc=/?ref=

Wow, they seem to have real issues measuring the DAC - I'm not sure whats going on there - I suspect they tested via USB using the Windows re-sampler or some such. The "crap" around the bottom on the test tone skirt is a sure sign of the Windows re-sampler...

We measure a dynamic range of 123dB to 124dB!

How do the German magazines work? - 4 stars in the UK would be bad! or is the German Magazine scale more realistic?

John my mdac has gone quiet.

I used headphones for the first time in ages last night and on return to it today it can't be coaxed out of silence on either xlr out of headphones. Mute is not active...

It also says unlocked under the USB input. optical and spdif are similarly dead.

What do you reckon, relay or crystal?

Try resetting it - hold Up/Down together during power-up.

The 4 Stars are for the price-performance ratio (= very good). Most products got 2 ore 3 Stars.
There are a ranking list of "absolute quality" and the S2 got "75%" (for example: Brinkmann Nyquist got 100%, MSB Platinum 98%, RME ADI2Pro 85%). The "ranking" is very good for this low price.

Wow, they seem to have real issues measuring the DAC - I'm not sure whats going on there - I suspect they tested via USB using the Windows re-sampler or some such. The "crap" around the bottom on the test tone skirt is a sure sign of the Windows re-sampler...

We measure a dynamic range of 123dB to 124dB!

How do the German magazines work? - 4 stars in the UK would be bad! or is the German Magazine scale more realistic?

Uwe,

OK, so now we are happy :) - Thank you :)

You know its very hard for use to have a "reference" as we when we design we don't start out by saying this is going to be a GBP330 DAC, but try to do the very best we can within the budget - we really do try and push the design limits.

We have FDAC / MDAC2 DAC's development boards we listen to & our "Reference Discrete DAC" - so judging a GBP300 DAC is very hard - sure its not as good as the FDAC / MDAC development boards, but its a great little DAC for the money IMO... but what do we know about GBP300 Dacs!

We have a few early DAC's in the field - such as the guys developing the MDAC2 streamer software as it uses our audio coprocessor software stack, and while we where not expecting them to "critically" listen to the DAC's (only use them to confirm software functionality) we have had very positive remarks about the SQ - so that's a good sign I guess :)

The Dual ESS DAC version of MDAC2 will be around 134dB Awtd dynamic range (Via XLR) - the 124dBA dynamic range is a small "Development DAC" for the streamer - nothing to do with MDAC2 / FDAC.
AWESOME!

That's about 22 bits of resolution, very impressive.

I did check the competition when it comes to the ADC and i wasn't able to find anything that seams better for less than the cost of the entire mdac2 so it may be worth getting the mdac2/fdac just for the ADC itself.

Try resetting it - hold Up/Down together during power-up.

nope nothing. Still saying unlocked on the mdac screen when I play rather than the data rate. Peak level meter moves But nothing else happens, same on all inputs.

nope nothing. Still saying unlocked on the mdac screen when I play rather than the data rate. Peak level meter moves But nothing else happens, same on all inputs.

Simon,

To me it sounds like the cable from the front panel to mainboard is missconnected or damaged - is your MDAC open?

Some 4 years ago, I joined this forum as I had a problem with my MDAC. I was told that there would be an updated board available in 6 months that would fix the problem. I decided to join up, paid my dues and eagerly awaited the upgrade. Since then we have been subjected to the most incredible scope creep, missed deadlines and escalating costs to the point at which this is no longer financially viable for me to continue. All I ever wanted was a simple upgrade to my MDAC.

For the past few years, I have only dipped in and out of this forum as it is technically way above my understanding and is cluttered with people’s personal problems and side discussions regarding the merits or otherwise of concepts and project direction. Some months ago I suggested a monthly summary email for us lesser educated folks so that we would not have to wade through the mountains of irrelevant (to me) information but this was dismissed as too much of an overhead.

I fully accept that this is John’s passion and commend him for his time and financial investment in this project but it is not acceptable to tie people in to a dream which seems to be turning into an uncontrolled money pit. My initial understanding was that MDAC2 would be around £300. Now it seems, the cost has risen to £2000 (according to an earlier post)! A venture of this kind should have been properly scoped and costed from the outset with a get-out option should the project go off-track. The deliverables should have been achieved in definable stages so that investors either got what they expected, when expected or could then be given the option to move on to another development stage if they so desired.

So, I guess I am in a trap and to be honest I feel somewhat tricked. I cannot bail-out without losing my investment but there is no way that I can afford to pay for the upgrade. My only option as I see it is to offer my stake, albeit quite small, at half price to someone else. (PM me if interested).

pdes,

I'm sorry I have no idea where the figure of GBP2000 has come from (someone did mention this amount earlier) - the BASIC MDAC2 including development funding & HQ External PSU will be slightly under GBP1000.

The cost has increased by about GBP200 - GBP250 due to the external HQ PSU.

This is for the BASIC MDAC2 without options (Streamer, updated Front Panel, ADC, Discrete DAC etc.)

The "extra" options can be installed to a "Basic MDAC2" by the owner at anytime in the future (pending availability).

It "upsetting" when someone post erroneous amounts (such as the GBP2K) as its needlessly scares people! but rest assured, the basic MDAC2 will be under GBP1000.

Thanks John. I appreciate the response. My misunderstanding just goes to show how totally confused I am!

I'll sit tight until September and see how things develop.

Cheers

External PSU is not very appealing to be but it could work. I go for the ADC version of mdac2(i scip the other extras) i think i have already paid more than i have to for that. In any case it would be nice to have a table over the new options.

I have paid a total of 900£ in just dev fees plus 270£ for salvaged mdac(silver).

Also getting the fdac later is an option but just having the mdac2 may be enough for me.

Thanks John. I appreciate the response. My misunderstanding just goes to show how totally confused I am!

I'll sit tight until September and see how things develop.

Cheers

pdes,

I'm sorry, its very much my fault - I need to update the dare I say "website" with MDAC2 details - unfortunately I have a overseas trip pending related to the MDAC2 streamer, once we return I'l work on updating the MDAC2 details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back