advertisement

malfunction://orouboros -- my new EP

Will RF chatter do? I finished the final part of Interregnum Suites about 6:00AM with a three layer buildup and fade into static. Now excuse me, I really need to crawl into a dark hole, or at least cheer myself up by looking at pictures of kittens or something...

Closure. The end of Empire. Few are left behind to witness the final twitch and death rattle of a planetary collapse. Echoes of the past are carried over the wind and over static until all that remains is a distant hum. The chatter of a once vibrant world subsides. Somewhere a lone electronic beacon speaks into the darkness: A cry for help? A warning to stay away? It goes unanswered and its signal too fades into noise. Interregnum://ouroboros begins. The new dark age, a time between. The long sleep begins...

...at this we ffwd a few millennia to the malfunction://ouroboros cycle so I get to release the 2nd part before the first, but that's not uncommon.

Plate mastering next...

EDIT: Yay! Artwork/Sleeve permissions all gone through... from Chris Lowe and the Ouroboros Project.

fox,

Me like. Thanks.

Here's the Pumpkin (aka Fek'lhr) to pull you out of your funk.

2929276016_1c405738f1_o.jpg

Joe

I love the big thumpy noises in cold/deny/retreat. It took me a moment or two - but my brain eventually dug out Blade Runner as a comparison - I almost expected to here 'walk now / don't walk' etc. Hopefully this is not an insulting comparison!

Hardly. The sound design on Blade Runner is exquisite. High praise.

That boom (and the clatter) was a train going over the bridge at Putney bridge, the best thumps of about 20-30 recorded. I was under the thing when walking the dogs when a train went over us and I just stopped in awe as it enveloped me in very low sub bass... really just physical presence, like the knock of doom I heard/felt two distinct sounds, a thud and a clatter. I came back with my recording gear and attached piezo microphones to the bridge (looking like I was going to blow up the thing with a laptop) and I recorded it twice -- first through brick and then through steel. Same sound, different material. It makes a reappearance on Last and first men... (buried under the drone).

Like the jackhammer that pops up twice in malfunction://ouroboros I re-use some sounds close together.

Edit: I De-clicked the final track but Soundcloud has a bug that won't let me replace files when my monthly upload allocation is full... they are working on fixing it.

Downloads are great, but sometimes it's nice to buy the whole package with artwork and stuff, and I'm having lots of ideas of what the artwork could be with this conceptual drone angle.
I want to buy this on vinyl or CD and pay what's due, because this is great stuff and I love it.

Thank you. Appreciated the support.

I'm freely giving the digits away for as long as I can justify it. The vinyl artefact is getting pressed as people (myself included) do love the artefact. Boomkat have expressed a desire to take copies when I get vinyl pressed. Plus my label antimusik.co.uk gets revived after three years of hiatus. I'm just not sure how to approach CDs when downloads are free...

I believe this stuff needs to be heard and felt live (something I'll be doing more of when I finish building my equipment to make it possible to travel light with three controllers and two laptops) but the whole thing is tumbling out of me so fast (my Facebook is awash with ideas, mini tweet-size'd essays) I'm finding it hard to take stock of how best to get it to people and continue the nuts and bolts of composing and recording and rebuilding each track into a performance live playlist. Plus I start my Sonic Arts degree on the 24th. Occasional sleep would be nice...

I cannot do it all alone, yet getting a designer and a web designer and marketing and promotion for this project is stretching me when all I want to do is compose and perform.

advertisement

Back