advertisement

LP12 subchassis - The 'RubiKon' #2

Well, value for money issues are very much dependant on the financial resources (or attitude towards money) of the individual and my (current) opinion of the 301 was based on absolute performance (that I heard at those times) rather than value for money. Having said that, my experience to date, has not persuaded me that I would use one whatever the financial benefit. My mind remains open on this issue though and I am happy to alter my opinion when I hear one performing as reputed :).

I don't think I mentioned value for money in terms of my absolute preference for my 301 compared to my previous LP12 - it just sweetened the pill!

Anyway, enough. I'm sure YNWOAN doesn't want to thread crap any further on Andrew's thread than I do.

Tony has kindly merged the three concurrent threads that were running about the RubiKon. It now makes a nice read from original ideas right up to the listening at Cymbiosis.

Thanks Tony!

I am visiting the engineering company on the 11th May to discuss the manufacturing of the RubiKon. Mark has come up with a 'way cool' idea for the name RubiKon to be displayed on the armboard. I'll post some pics after a sample has been done.

We will get 20 made and they are likely to be £1300 max from selected dealers. This will be a superbly well finished and sounding product IMHO.

It's all coming together......its been an exciting journey from Oct 2009 to here!

Andrew.

LED knitting (and knitting with lead isn't easy I can tell you - each one is individually knitted by the fair hands of a Scottish virgin - and Scottish virgins aren't easy to fin..............I may have said too much - oops)

That ol' chesnut ( with a kernel of truth Im sure) about the SME V losing the bass on an LP12 - or should that read "the lp12 losing the bass with an SME V" ;) . One would have thought that the keel would have resolved this. Now Im sure the market for a keel klone with an SME cut out is a small one but....

comments please gentlemen.

PS I am an SME V and an lp12 owner ( but never the twain shall meet or rather Mr. V has never mounted Ms. LP).

Don't know - I've never tried it. I would like to say that I've not designed a Keel clone though - the RubiKon is not a copy of the Keel (I will leave the unscrupulous copying of others work to those unable to design their own). I believe that the SME cutout is not easily aligned with the LP12 geometry however, as the large triangular corner bracing of the plinth rather gets in the way.

SME cutout options will probably be available - it's not top of my 'to do' list though. If it can be done well (once I have looked into the issues thoroughly) I will do it properly (assuming there is any demand). If it can't be done to my satisfaction then I wont do it. If I (we) do produce an SME version you can be assured that I will have looked into it properly and the result is the best I can do - I can't say fairer than that.

I'll twat him for you next time I see him (tomorrow) :D

Oh well, good - something to look forward to then.

That ol' chesnut ( with a kernel of truth Im sure) about the SME V losing the bass on an LP12 - or should that read "the lp12 losing the bass with an SME V" ;) . One would have thought that the keel would have resolved this. Now Im sure the market for a keel klone with an SME cut out is a small one but....

comments please gentlemen.

PS I am an SME V and an lp12 owner ( but never the twain shall meet or rather Mr. V has never mounted Ms. LP).

Not to crap on this thread, but to answer the question. Greenstreet will do custom, so I imagine you could have one made up for a SME tonearm.

I looked into that not so long ago and the weight Linn told me for the Ekos SE was very close to the weight SME list for the V. However, I may be able do do something to help in this area.

advertisement

Back