advertisement

Linn LP12 vs Rega RP6 vs Clearaudio Concept

The Rega is a turntable

The LP12 is a cult.

Just decide which you need in your life.

The Linn is quite unique, you can spend 500 quid or 10 grand+ and have a TT that you will most likely enjoy. An Inspire Linn, a Tiger Paw Linn, a Tangerine Audio Linn, a Naim Linn, A Stamford Audio Linn, even a Linn Linn, the choice is yours , you can tailor the updates to suit your particular flavour.

I paid 200 for my Linn back in the early 80s, since then I have spent less than £1200 on it in total not including arms and cartridges and I have a, Cirkus upgrade, Lingo 1, new plinth, Tiger paw Khan and a SRM baseplate. That's 30 years of enjoyment including arm's and cartridges at about a grand a decade, that's not too shabby is it?

I'm just waiting to see who first comes up with a workable Delrin outer platter. :):eek::)

Santa is on his way. The tooth fairy is due. With luck, Eyebroughty will have been good enough this year to receive the pennies needed to acquire a Shutbi Komittet PSU upgrade.

I think it depends if you want something that does the job or something that could be used to drill for oil.
Most people miss the point that Linn look at all the aspects of the LP12 and how they react together.
You may not like the end result, many do, but they all work together at the various levels you upgrade to.

I will not be upgrading my LP12, I use Tidal, £20 a month and a Linn streamer is the way to go.

Honestly, a nice vintage Valhalla LP12 circa mid to late 80s spec will be better than an RP6 in every musical way.

No one can ever say the LP12 is the best at anything but IMHE even a simple spec one is enjoyable. You will get more texture, depth and boogie compared to an RP6

OP listen for yourself. Several dealers sell both makes and will often have used LP12s in

No experience with the RP6 but moved on mr LP12 a couple of years ago, replacing it with a Clearaudio concept with a dynavectoe 10x5. I moved on the LP12 mainly because of having to travel a long distance to have it serviced/set up.
I am very pleased with the Clearaudio. It has worked faultlessly and requires very little effort to keep it running smoothly.

I would say at the moment there is such a great choice when buying a turntable, so many different flavours from belt drive to direct drive, after ten years with a technics SL1210MK2. I just went for a complete change and after some thought I just bought another Voyd.

Traded my 309 at the same time for a series V and am very happy with this combination, I had to get the psu fully serviced but it's now sounding effortlessly musical.

In my experience over 40 years the LP12 can be an upgrade money pit. Better to buy something you enjoy the sound of and that can’t be upgraded then spend your hard earned on vinyl
You can be like a Harley owner, and buy lots of bits, or like a Bonneville owner, and just go with the ride.

Based on reviews at the price point I went to the dealer for a demo. RP6/Exact Vs Clearaudio Concept MM. I went home with the Rega. Clearaudio was sounding thin and some life was missing.
Six years after and still very happy with my Rega

Honestly, a nice vintage Valhalla LP12 circa mid to late 80s spec will be better than an RP6 in every musical way.

No one can ever say the LP12 is the best at anything but IMHE even a simple spec one is enjoyable. You will get more texture, depth and boogie compared to an RP6

OP listen for yourself. Several dealers sell both makes and will often have used LP12s in

I owned an LP12 as you describe 20 years ago. I upgraded it to an Aro, and was pretty happy for a while. Then I A/B'd it against a P9 and preferred the Rega, which I bought and owned for a decade.

Then I splashed for an SME20/3A, which I sold three months ago, and bought the latest Rega P6 as a "downgrade".

I can honestly say I have never enjoyed vinyl as much as I'm doing now.

The current P6 is miles better than the old "grey" Regas.

I did an AB comparison between my LP12 and an Rega P9.
The Rega produced a more open and detailed sound. The LP12 was darker and a bit muddy.
But off course - the tonearm on the LP12 was an Akito, and Im quite sure the LP12 performed better with my ARO.
Sold my LP12, and kept the Rega P9.

The releaf of not ever again being concerned about if the decks is adjusted right is very satisfying.
My trust in REGA is increasing, and I have no ordered the Planar 10.

LP12 - never again. (Owned LP12 for over 15 years..)

i had a rega p7. i heard with the pickups rega exact,denon dl103 and dynavector 10x5.
The linn Lp 12 is one class better with Project Arm, linn adikt and lingo 3.

advertisement

Back