advertisement

Linn LP12 vs Rega RP6 vs Clearaudio Concept

I would go Rega, but the LP 12's have never appealed to me. I have always found the mid bass boom, or whatever you want to call it, false and just wrong.

Not trying to be unhelpful here, but I'm not sure there is a single "right" answer. Consider the following -

It's difficult to compare two turntables, let alone three. Will they all have the same cartridge installed? What kind of shape are they (the turntables and tonearms) in? What do you, personally, value or enjoy when listening to music?

I've owned my LP12 for nearly 30 years. When the Ekos tonearm came out I auditioned it and immediately knew it trounced the Ittok. But I couldn't afford it. When the Lingo came out I auditioned it and knew it immediately it took the venerable LP12 to a different level of performance. But I've never been able to afford one. Frankly, I've always spent most of my money on records.

Nowadays I run my bone-stock 1988 vintage LP12 with a phono cartridge that costs more than I paid for the turntable when I bought it used in 1990. This goes against all the conventional wisdom. But I don't care, really. I've moved my LP12 all over the country and it hasn't been set up for, what, 20 years. It doesn't matter. It sounds awesome. Could it sound better? Yes, absolutely. Would a better tonearm, power supply, subchassis improve the sound? Yes. But I'd rather spend my money on records.

Contentment is an amazing "component" to fit into a sound system. I'm not really after perfection, I'm after satisfaction. And my humble LP12 continues to provide it, year after year, day after day. It just has an "organic rightness" that I really enjoy. I've never had trouble with it.

I've seen a Clearaudio turntable - I think it was the "Concept" model. It was gorgeous. It looked really, really nice. It would be fun to try it out in my system. But it was also around $6000. More than four times what I paid for my LP12 back in the day. And if I were going to spend $6K on a new table there'd be an awful lot of options out there, both new and used, that I'd want to listen to. Frankly, that just sounds like a hassle. I'd rather listen to music, or maybe go shop for some new records. Or read a book.

Good luck in your search. I hope you arrive at a choice that provides as much long lasting satisfaction as mine has, whichever product you choose. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the options you are considering; they are all well regarded and should provide years of trouble-free service.

Does a used mk2 P9 fall into the OP’s budget? Sounds great with the cheaper Exact & even better with an Atheta. Obvs.

I deeply regret selling my LP12/Ittok that I had. I can't say the same about the Rega I owned... which is not to say it wasn't a good deck (Planar 3) because it was. But something about the whole LP12 package - design, engineering, sound (whether inaccurate or not, beguiling all the same) meant an affinity with it that I've never had with a TT since. Make of that what you will.

I deeply regret selling my LP12/Ittok that I had. I can't say the same about the Rega I owned... which is not to say it wasn't a good deck (Planar 3) because it was. But something about the whole LP12 package - design, engineering, sound (whether inaccurate or not, beguiling all the same) meant an affinity with it that I've never had with a TT since. Make of that what you will.

I get that completely.

If you are investing in this pastime and can't muster the curiosity to at least try the Clearaudio magnetic bearing you've got no soul.

I'm of the view that 'the LP12' ceased to exist around 1990.

The early deck designed in the 70s was a careful blend of elements put together using a defined subjective process and built to a firm ideology. The result was distinctive and enjoyed by many in preference to other designs.

However over the past 2 decades or so, we've seen radical design changes, often incorporating things which were firmly eschewed by the original team. Modern LP12s effectively borrow tested technology from the longstanding competition.

So if you want an LP12 it needs a pressed steel sub-chassis, wooden arm board, AC motor, original steel top plate and hardwood plinth. Either basic, Valhalla or Lingo PSU.

That's not to say that the myriad new versions with or without 3rd party changes aren't as good or better. But they're not an LP12.

I'm of the view that 'the LP12' ceased to exist around 1990.

The early deck designed in the 70s was a careful blend of elements put together using a defined subjective process and built to a firm ideology. The result was distinctive and enjoyed by many in preference to other designs.

However over the past 2 decades or so, we've seen radical design changes, often incorporating things which were firmly eschewed by the original team. Modern LP12s effectively borrow tested technology from the longstanding competition.

So if you want an LP12 it needs a pressed steel sub-chassis, wooden arm board, AC motor, original steel top plate and hardwood plinth. Either basic, Valhalla or Lingo PSU.

That's not to say that the myriad new versions with or without 3rd party changes aren't as good or better. But they're not an LP12.

Also a pre- Cirkus bearing! All adds up to a very nice sounding package to these ears.

Also a pre- Cirkus bearing! All adds up to a very nice sounding package to these ears.

Pre-Cirkus bearing, Sole Subchassis & DIY-geddon on a 77 model work for me. I have 5 other turntables, they are different rather than better, but very hard to judge when using different arms and carts on each :)

Interesting point Gary raised re the Rega P7 in particular. I had one for a short while, a lovely turntable (and previously owned by Lefty so it was in utterly spotless condition) but I never clicked with it.

Going back a few years before, I was in the throes of replacing my Gyrodec during which time I had a lengthy dem of a P5 vs P7. I actually preferred the P5 (once the TTPSU was added) as it played music with a sense of 'joy' rather than the P7 which, whilst resolving a bit more, just sounded staid. Slightly boring even. Often wondered if the glass platter is what makes the difference?

Maybe have look at the Funk Firm decks. They are a lot of fun with some outside-the-box engineering solutions.

That was about the size of it Gromit, and the P9 took it to another level of sterile for me. That's why i have always loved LP12s as music is always joyful. The P3/P6 players, and from your experience the P5 manage to stay pleasurable whilst adding more of everything over basic models.

Interesting point Gary raised re the Rega P7 in particular. I had one for a short while, a lovely turntable (and previously owned by Lefty so it was in utterly spotless condition) but I never clicked with it.

Going back a few years before, I was in the throes of replacing my Gyrodec during which time I had a lengthy dem of a P5 vs P7. I actually preferred the P5 (once the TTPSU was added) as it played music with a sense of 'joy' rather than the P7 which, whilst resolving a bit more, just sounded staid. Slightly boring even. Often wondered if the glass platter is what makes the difference?

I've got a P5 with a Neo PSU, it really is excellent and really majors on boogie factor. I'm hoping to try the Ania cartridge on it this week and see how it stacks up against the Planar 6, I'm willing to bet that the P5 will more than hold its own.

Talking of the P7....I had one (also in spotless condition! :) which I found was much improved with the later TTPSU. Rather good basic t/t, and of course the arm could be rewired as well.
The recent Regas I've had (P7, RP6) have bettered the last couple of LP12s, both with Valhalla and Japanese Akito.

Personally I prefer rega to linn as I like the faster bouncier sound with less colouration .
The newer regas are definately better than the older ones , ttpsu does make a jump in performance

From memory of the comparison between P5 & P7, the biggest jump in performance was that when TTPSU was added to the P5. Marked, to say the least.

My father has a P5 as it happens (with TTPSU) and it's a really fun turntable. Must put it up alongside my LP12 one day. :)

From memory of the comparison between P5 & P7, the biggest jump in performance was that when TTPSU was added to the P5. Marked, to say the least.

My father has a P5 as it happens (with TTPSU) and it's a really fun turntable. Must put it up alongside my LP12 one day. :)

I've got an LP12 too, quite a high spec one and it's the better deck but given the price difference, it really ought to be. The P5 is in a very frequently used second system and it's very satisfying indeed, a lot of definitely fun but also much more grown up and precise than lesser Rega decks, the TT PSU makes a massive difference and the Neo even more so. I'm highly impressed the Neo and can't wait to try the Ania or possibly even the Apheta on it, I'm confident that it'll justify a proper decent MC.

I'm looking forward to comparing it to the new Planar 6, I'm sure that'll be a stunning deck for the money.

advertisement

Back