advertisement

Linn Karousel Bearing oil check?.

I have given the platter a helping hand to get spinning , I then press stop and start again and the platter isn’t rotating the motor is spinning but belt isn’t rotating the platter if you listen closely you can here the motor running but platter is stationary.

As you can see I press the start stop button , the sub platter slows to a practical stop. I then press the button again and the sub platter isn’t rotating at all the motor is but the belt itself moving.

Once the sub platter stops rotating , I press the start button and nothing happens if you listen closely at the end of the video you can hear the motor rotating but belt isn’t moving

Have you cleaned the belt, inner platter and pulley? Only thing i can think of is that someone has cleaned the pulley and left a slippery residue on it. The position of the belt on the pulley is right. Clean everything with IPA or something else that won't leave a residue. Failing that it's possible the motor is not in the right position but I think it would run even if it was.

Have you cleaned the belt, inner platter and pulley? Only thing i can think of is that someone has cleaned the pulley and left a slippery residue on it. The position of the belt on the pulley is right. Clean everything with IPA or something else that won't leave a residue. Failing that it's possible the motor is not in the right position but I think it would run even if it was.
Belt is brand new , IPA won’t damage the finish on the sub platter ?

Belt is brand new , IPA won’t damage the finish on the sub platter ?
No. The belt may be new but if the pulley is greasy it's got grease on it now.

Check the position of the motor mounting bolts. Usual position is one inward and one outward.

Take the outer platter and belt off. Spin just the inner platter on its own. It should spin very freely and keep spinning for ages.

Check the position of the motor mounting bolts. Usual position is one inward and one outward.

Take the outer platter and belt off. Spin just the inner platter on its own. It should spin very freely and keep spinning for ages.
I’ll do that I’ll put a piece of masking tape on the sub platter or something so you can see but for sure it doesn’t rotate for ages

As you can see the bearing doesn’t spin for a month of Sundays!,

The motor is in the right position and the tilt looks right. Bearing looks free enough. Certainly not tight enough to cause your problem. Should be working fine.

Clean it.

On the video above

1. unit is switched off , but press the start button. And the motor is rotating but the belt is stationary and the platter correspondingly is stationary.
2. Later on I spin the platter by hand and then press the star button and it continues rotating but it won’t do it of its own accord, the motor just spins and the belt doesn’t move at all?.

Yes, you've told us all that. Honestly, there is not much wrong with this. It is normal to help the platter get up to speed, especially with the more basic power supplies like the Majik. It should start the platter from stationary but it doesn't like it. The belt shudders on the pulley and the platter rocks around. It's not a good idea to do that.

From what I can see all that is wrong is a lack of grip which has probably been caused by some form of polish on the drive surfaces.

My guess is the motor tilt/speed is incorrectly setup. That one screw on the right looks unusually high as if it’s not even contacting the top of the motor.

I’m all out of advice to be honest. As already stated clean the pulley and sub platter with anything really, window cleaner and a clean microfiber cloth would be ok, or some IPA alcohol. If no good you’ll have to consult pro help.

Sorry, I think that it is your bearing :(

I just tried my, pre Cirkus, bearing. One gentle push with index finger only (not as fast as you got yours going and only kept in contact for about one second) and it kept on rotating for about 45 seconds - also came to a much smoother stop than your video.
Apologies for not showing video - i use “post images” if i find a way i will update.

advertisement

Back