advertisement

Linn Karousel Bearing oil check?.

Wayne C

pfm Member
Just bought a Majik with Karousel bearing which the previous owner had set up 12 months ago, could I ask how do you check that there is sufficient oil in the bearing and if there isn’t enough how much would you insert into the bearing to ensure ample is inside, the tissue paper around the base trick doesn’t correct due to the large nut on the top. I looked at the bearing after transporting it with the sub platter supported but would like to ensure there is enough in. Thanks

Don't check the oil, just replace it. Follow the correct procedure to clean out the oil and refile with fresh. I use Audio Origami oil these days, as I think it sounds better, but Linn oil is fine. Main thing is to change it regularly as LP12 bearings last a lot longer if you do.

Fill til spill is the only method I'd use as it's the only way to be absolutely sure the well is full.

the karosel bearing uses about 19-20 drops of linn oil before it over spills, once you put the inner platter on....this lets you know its got no air inside and fully filled

a circus bearing takes about 39-40 drops of linn oil before it over spills once you put the inner platter on ...by comparison

Could I ask another question regarding the belt I have put it on but apparently they have a shiny and smooth side , the belt seems to be slipping to the lower section of the motor?, when I put the platter on upside down the belt seems to be rotating approx one belt width from the bottom of the sub platter , put the platter on the right way up and it’s struggling. Does the belt need cleaning seems bizarre to me.

I have watched the platter rotating with the top platter on upside down to see what is happening and the belt seems to slip to the lower section of the motor when you press stop , press start again and it doesn’t seem to wish to travel up to the area it sits when rotating ??

try cleaning the belt with IPA
in your situation maybe the smooth side of belt will give more grip

might be time for new belt?

Don't check the oil, just replace it. Follow the correct procedure to clean out the oil and refile with fresh. I use Audio Origami oil these days, as I think it sounds better, but Linn oil is fine. Main thing is to change it regularly as LP12 bearings last a lot longer if you do.

Fill til spill is the only method I'd use as it's the only way to be absolutely sure the well is full.

Not sure where you got that advice. There’s no point messing with changing Linn oil unless you contaminated it in some way.

Could I ask another question regarding the belt I have put it on but apparently they have a shiny and smooth side , the belt seems to be slipping to the lower section of the motor?
The two sides of the belt are slightly different but the belt should run correctly either way. Check the platter speed. There is a phone app which works pretty well. If the speed is noticeably fast or slow adjust it until it's correct.

Once running at the right speed the belt usually runs right smack in the middle of the gap in the guide and right on the pulley ridge. If the belt is rubbing off the guide when running at the right speed something is wrong. First thing to consider is the belt itself. They last for years but eventually they stretch and won't work properly. Some aftermarket belts are also too thick, too thin, too short or too long and can also cause problems. Replace the belt with a known good one and see if that cures the problem. It usually does.

Most people say that the smooth side of the belt should go against the pulley but, if I remember correctly, Linn used to say that you should try all four orientations and see what sounds best.

Last edited:
This is so confusing to be honest , I think the belt is the genuine belt and cannot be more than two years old , although I’ve rubbed my fingers on it and it doesn’t seem different either side to be fair. Should I clean the surface of the motor perhaps. Dont really want to put my phone on the platter just in case it is to heavy!.

This is so confusing to be honest , I think the belt is the genuine belt and cannot be more than two years old , although I’ve rubbed my fingers on it and it doesn’t seem different either side to be fair. Should I clean the surface of the motor perhaps. Dont really want to put my phone on the platter just in case it is to heavy!.
This is how your belt should look on the pulley during start-up. I would clean your belt with dish detergent, rinse it well and dry it with a clean cotton cloth. You can try cleaning the pulley and sub platter belt contact area with IPA which is not a bad idea to do every once in awhile. The newer Linn belts should be fine for 10 years.

try cleaning the belt with IPA
in your situation maybe the smooth side of belt will give more grip

might be time for new belt?

This is how your belt should look on the pulley during start-up. I would clean your belt with dish detergent, rinse it well and dry it with a clean cotton cloth. You can try cleaning the pulley and sub platter belt contact area with IPA which is not a bad idea to do every once in awhile. The newer Linn belts should be fine for 10 years.

Thanks for that , the belt is definitely slipping to the lower area of the motor pulley once it stops I saw it do that with the platter reversed. So I’m guessing the belt is slack as it doesn’t hold its position at all when attempting to restart rotation without a helping hand . Once you have given it assistance it seems to be fine. I’ll try cleaning it and report back

the belt is meant to go lower side of the motor pulley AT start up and stop
Thanks for that information, it does move to the lower side but it doesn’t have the ability to move back up to the main pulley again. When you press the sides of the belt it doesn’t seem to have much tension to be honest. The belt I’m told is a genuine Linn belt and less than 2 years old

It’s the current spec Majik turntable , I think the belts shot what belt would you recommend the official one or this one perhaps

I could take the belt into the local linn dealer to confirm it’s the belt first I guess

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Cleaned the belt as suggested with ipa after cleaning with washing up liquid and it’s still no better don’t know what else I can try

Doesn’t seem to be able to rotate the platter from a standing start , motor spins but belt isn’t up to it. Maybe removing it from the turntable without marking which way was up / down / back or front may have something to do with it. When pressing the belt between motor and inner platter it doesn’t seem to have much resistance to be honest so I’m guessing it’s a faulty belt as hasn’t lasted long at all

I’m starting to wonder if it’s a genuine Linn belt. If the turntable is rotating close to 33.33 RPM, the belt shouldn’t be an issue.

The iPhone speed apps work pretty accurately if they are calibrated, uncalibrated it should still be close enough. I center a roll of electrical tape over the spindle and try to center the iPhone over that. The app works fine and will not cause harm to your bearing. Give that a try and if it’s running below 33RPM, the belt is bad or the speed is adjusted incorrectly.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s a genuine Linn belt. If the turntable is rotating close to 33.33 RPM, the belt shouldn’t be an issue.

The iPhone speed apps work pretty accurately if they are calibrated, uncalibrated it should still be close enough. I center a roll of electrical tape over the spindle and try to center the iPhone over that. The app works fine and will not cause harm to your bearing. Give that a try and if it’s running below 33RPM, the belt is bad or the speed is adjusted incorrectly.
I’m also wondering the same about this belt as I cannot feel any difference on either side of the belt itself to be honest . I’m wondering if this difference in texture should be obvious or not as I cannot tell either way. The belt won’t start the deck and the motor just spins with the belt in place. When I give it a helping hand it rotates but cannot start the deck under its own strength. So put a roll of electrical tape and balance the phone on top of it ?.

advertisement

Back