advertisement

Let’s hear it for Rega gear

a friend asked me to put together a stereo for her 10 or so years ago. Brio-R, RS3 speakers and a P1. She also has an AirPort Express direct into it. I was hanging out there last night and we were playing music over the APX.

Man that little setup sounds fun. Not super hi-fi in the traditional sense but great tone, rhythm and a lot of fun. I could live with that in a small room.

I don't expect a possible support for say a $250 consumer item.
But for $5-10K+ players I do.

Since the early 90'ies Naim knew they had to establish large stock of spares for their range of CDS/CDX/CD5 players.

Reason they didn't succeed with enough parts to future support expensive CD players, might be the fact that new owner - Focal - were busy firing stab and create cost down inside Salisbury factory.
In such action there's no room for investing extra stock.
Focal and Naim merged in 2011.
The CDS was discontinued in 1998.
The CDX was discontinued in 2002
The CD5 was discontinued in 2003.

How the hell would Focal have had any bearing on spares for players discontinued a minimum of 8 years before they got involved?

Also this myth that Rega have stacks of mechs for all their players is simply not true… it’s only the top end players.

And anyway both Rega and Naim players can fairly easily be repaired by third parties.

You just need to stop making shit up!

To be fair he said “range” so that’s 2012, 2018 and current. I have no idea about spares stock for Naim or Rega.

I've had a couple of Rega Tonearms and some Ela Loudpeakers. They were great bits of industrial design and did what they were supposed to and were unfailingly reliable, much like most hi-fi gear. They weren't particularly exceptional, though.

Then again, I only really think certain loudspeakers and valve power amplifiers are exceptional anyway. Anything else either works or doesn't - although some of it might look very cool (nothing by Chord, though, which is all unfailingly hideous).

To be fair he said “range” so that’s 2012, 2018 and current.
Yes, there were 3 generations of the CDX and CDS range, final discontinued 2012 & 2018 is correct.

Focal merged with Naim in 2011 and new management which seemingly have changed several times since JV passed away.

Work processes and staff got under consultant supervision, which is usual translated to cost down and outsourcing.

and some Ela Loudpeakers.
Which were great transmissionline loudspeakers, in fact a rebranded Royd - a very wise cooperation as Joe knew what he was doing.
To my knowledge Rega no longer make any transmissionline edition but have full control over speakerunit manufacture.

Also this myth that Rega have stacks of mechs for all their players is simply not true… it’s only the top end players.

And anyway both Rega and Naim players can fairly easily be repaired by third parties.

You just need to stop making shit up!
As far as I know, all versions of the Apollo and Saturn share the same CD mech, so if they can still build the Saturn Mk3, they can still repair all Apollos and Saturns. No mech available for Planets and Jupiters (1997-2003).

Which were great transmissionline loudspeakers, in fact a rebranded Royd - a very wise cooperation as Joe knew what he was doing.
To my knowledge Rega no longer make any transmissionline edition but have full control over speakerunit manufacture.
Cooperation? Really?

Yes, there were 3 generations of the CDX and CDS range, final discontinued 2012 & 2018 is correct.

Focal merged with Naim in 2011 and new management which seemingly have changed several times since JV passed away.

Work processes and staff got under consultant supervision, which is usual translated to cost down and outsourcing.
Yes, but the different generations of CDX and CDS (and CD5) all used different mechanisms, your argument is nonsense frankly!

I've had a couple of Rega Tonearms and some Ela Loudpeakers. They were great bits of industrial design and did what they were supposed to and were unfailingly reliable, much like most hi-fi gear. They weren't particularly exceptional, though.
Have to disagree. The Ela loudspeakers are truly exceptional, especially in smaller sized rooms.

Incorrect, the RS10 are transmission line.
Yes, I had them in my mind but thought they were discontinued - maybe not yet as they might have remaining cabinets they'd like to shift.
As I understand Rega will no longer create any loudspeakers with traditional wood cabinets.

Rega 3 owner here. Bought new in 1987 for £188. Add on motor upgrade, one service and a few cartridges/styli . Oh. And a new lid. And max expenditure has been £600 over 37 years. Makes it 31 pence per week. Awesome value.
I remember that price from the UK hi-fi mags.

Rega 3 owner here. Bought new in 1987 for £188. Add on motor upgrade, one service and a few cartridges/styli . Oh. And a new lid. And max expenditure has been £600 over 37 years. Makes it 31 pence per week. Awesome value.
I'm curious, did you succumb to the original 110VAC sticky pad Planar 3 Upgrade (with P3 2000 electrics), or did you hold out until the 24VAC motor kit came along?

P3-upgrade-box.jpg
P3-upgrade-contents.jpg

advertisement

Back