advertisement

Large Hadron Collider nearly ready

****ing hell, that's cold. Wonder how long it takes to reach temp. I bet they switch it on and it sucks up all the electricity in the world and comes to life and stands up and starts eating people and buildings and knows everything that's on the Internet and takes over the whole world.

No.

Fox is currently working on that version, but he can't get it to stop sucking up his power supply as well ;)

lhc18.jpg

"Spectators gathered to watch the central component of the prototype HyperCap arrive at the Salisbury factory."

Good post, nearly started one myself and totally fascinating, i believe its now the coldest place in the universe!

Martin

-271.25C is also known as 1.9K (1.9 degrees above absolute zero). It is pretty cold, but not unusual for laboratory experiments. The temperature has been chosen because it is below the "lambda point" for liquid helium, where it becomes a superfluid, which makes it easier to pump about and use as a coolant.

Much lower temperatures can be made in smaller systems. Using a "dilution refrigerator" you can get to a few millikelvins. Much lower temperatures can be achieved by "adiabatic demagnetisation"; the directly cooled part of the system (the nuclear spins) can get down to nanokelvin temperatures, and lattice temperatures in the microkelvin range have been achieved - this is a million times colder than LHC!

Thales claims the lowest temperature in the universe.

Quote:
"Planck satellite: the coldest point in the Universe!
The Planck mission is a major scientific challenge, and the design and construction of this satellite is an impressive technological achievement.
The Planck spacecraft, which will enable to better understand the origin and evolution of large structures in our Universe, has reached the incredible temperature of 0.1K (-273.05°C) as part of final thermal-cryogenic testing at the Liege Space Center."

Apologies, but I can't post any web links, because I post so infrequently and PFM has forgotten all my previous activity! However, if you Google "Thales coldest temperature" and navigate to the first link (thalesonline), the full news article is there.

Regards,

Will.

Well, Nostradamus predicted "the end of life as we know it" in 2012, and as many will tell you, our current date is thought to be 4 years out due to a miscalculation by some monk somewhere at some point.

In all seriousness though, it's potentially a fascinating experiment and I hope that we are able to learn something from it rather than it turning out to be a waste of $8,000,000,000 that could have been spent feeding the world...actually that would have been a better plan but was obviously never going to happen.

Come to think of it I have to be honest here and say that the thought of human beings "buggering about with black holes" scares the living piss out of me.

I'll wake up the following day and everyday after ,that thing has been running ...nothing will change , its no big deal to those on the ground.....but why do they want to understand the finite stuff , thats what you want to worry about ...its so they can control it .....at which point I laugh my head off thiniking, the insignificant thing that is mankind thinks he can control all , egostists at work. Big waste of money , better off spent on ..well anything really , unless of course you wish to leave this planet and go elsewhere ...ahh haaaah .so thats it ..we migrate to another world and fack that up , while developing a vehicle to leave that one and go somehwere else:eek: ad infinitum ..we really are a virus

When the large hadron collider is fired up some foundational questions in theoretical physics will be answered, some new questions will emerge, some discoveries will be earth-shattering, but none will shatter the earth.

Joe

From what I read it will take them the best part of a couple of years to properly analyze the results, so unless it all goes horribly wrong and the world blows up don't expect to hear anything anytime soon.

advertisement

Back