advertisement

Just a phone...

Jim Audiomisc

pfm Member
I currently have an old Nokia 3310 mobile phone. Note that for me this is ideal as things stand. Its a *phone*. I use it only for a 999 or to call a taxi if we are out and my better half needs to get home and safe. Unlike many modern 'devices' it has real buttons and is small. Almost all of the time it is switched off.

The snag is that it is 2G/3G and these are both asserted to become 'discontinued' some time between now and 2033. However beyond that, determining when my phone might cease getting a connection becomes murky...

Look on the web and you get various 'answers' - which often conflict. Also depends on which service provider you use.

According to 'Which' my provider hasn't yet said when they may cease using 2G. So it could be 2033. Or any other time before that!

Complications are:

1) Internet of Things devices also often use 2G/3G. Are the networks going to brick those as well? if so, do the users of them know when?

2) Having 2G links operating is a different matter to what uses/protocols are kept going.

3) I decided to buy a new cheap mobile phone. Again as a *phone* with real buttons, small, etc. However when I read the bumf this is *also* 2G/3G, NOT any of the later gens. No mention of this in the adverts, etc. Just in tiny text at the back of the brief sheet of bumf that came with it. So it seems people are *still* being sold NEW 2G/3G phones!

Shambles wrapped in a riddle. Discuss. I can't help feeing that brown stuff is approaching a rotating object at the moment. But no idea when they will converge.

If buttons are a deal breaker, 4g nokia phones are available still. If buttons are not a deal breaker, there is a world of cheap 4g available.

Supermarkets will still sell you a basic phone for £10-20 that works, so buy one of those when you need to. Is it 2G/3G/4G/xG? Who cares? Dial the number, it rings, you talk.

Reactions: gez
I can't help feeing that brown stuff is approaching a rotating object at the moment. But no idea when they will converge.
it doesnt matter

3) I decided to buy a new cheap mobile phone. Again as a *phone* with real buttons, small, etc. However when I read the bumf this is *also* 2G/3G, NOT any of the later gens. No mention of this in the adverts, etc. Just in tiny text at the back of the brief sheet of bumf that came with it. So it seems people are *still* being sold NEW 2G/3G phones!
Did you ask for a 4g phone?

I have an old Nokia which doesn't seem to have a model no., just 'Orange' Like Jim, it's off most of the time and I sometimes miss the 3 months (or 6 months?) period where you have to use it to keep your credit (p.i.t.a.). Whatever G it's on I couldn't care less; it's the cost of using it at (I'm guessing here) 20 to 30p + a minute. Even the few seconds phoning home simply to keep it activated costs 15p+.

I keep it for emergencies, like breaking own in the car, but I doubt I'd have enough credit to make a meaningful call if I had to, so pretty useless, I guess.

Worry about it when and if it happens.

As far as I know, FM radio is still operating, so…
3G close down is literally happening right now across the UK.

Bummer because my beemer uses it, but in their wisdom its not a simcard so cannot be upgraded.

If you’re prepared to pay a bit more for a nice quality device, look at the Punkt MP02. 2/3/4G but otherwise it’s just a nicely made small phone.

it doesnt matter

Did you ask for a 4g phone?

Nope. I assumed that given the 'announced intention' they'd have stopped selling ones that are only 2G/3G. Foolish to assume that in modern Britain I guess. It matters because other people are presumably buying them as well. Most people have no awareness of 'G'. So it may matter for them.

I have an old Nokia which doesn't seem to have a model no., just 'Orange' Like Jim, it's off most of the time and I sometimes miss the 3 months (or 6 months?) period where you have to use it to keep your credit (p.i.t.a.). Whatever G it's on I couldn't care less; it's the cost of using it at (I'm guessing here) 20 to 30p + a minute. Even the few seconds phoning home simply to keep it activated costs 15p+.

I keep it for emergencies, like breaking own in the car, but I doubt I'd have enough credit to make a meaningful call if I had to, so pretty useless, I guess.

FWIW The sim account I have is per call PAYGO with no monthly charges. Given the minimal use it costs me less that 20 quid a year.

3G will hit the buffers before 2G. Some of the roaming 3G SIMs we are using will die in the next couple of years. We are upgrading a lot of modems in our monitoring systems to 4G in preparation

FWIW The sim account I have is per call PAYGO with no monthly charges. Given the minimal use it costs me less that 20 quid a year.
I just checked out the Voda Payg options, it tends to be all about data but for calls you pay max £1 for any day when you use it , nothing the others. Once you have spent your £1, free calls until midnight.

Why not buy a sim free Nokia 105 4G new generation (2023) for around 25 quid and find a cheap plan from one of the providers. I got one for a family member and added EE for only £8.00 a month with unlimited calls and 10g of data. And you get FM radio and well.;)

I always say to my wife, when I retire I will get rid of my smart phone and only use a phone with no internet connection. I just dislike the messages I receive from WeChat for work purposes. WeChat is used in China extensively for work.

I bought a Nokia 2660 flip phone that does just calls and SMS, and works very nicely and is what I take with me out and about. On the box it says 4G LTE.
The trouble is that I have to also own a "smartphone," which lives at home and works with the flat's WiFi, because everyone takes it for granted that you have WhatsApp. If the plumber can, or can't come he will send a WA message, for instance.

I’ve never been interested in what other people take for granted. I’ve survived not having Facebook, Insta and WhatsApp since they were created. If you can’t ring, email or text me then you don’t get my business. I’m paying you to work for me and not to dictate how I access you.

advertisement

Back