advertisement

Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard

I think it depends on your 'type' - doing a Google image search, I can see why people would see her as attractive, but she's not my ideal type. Christian Serratos with her olive skin and jet black hair is more my type.
Either, both, any of the above. I'm with Calvin Harris on this. I like blonde girls, I like brown haired girls. Getting the choice of any would be fantastic.

Amber describing how she's very protective over her little sister:

Her little sister's bruises from when Amber hit her:

Actors seem to be very disturbed people, they often self harm with drugs and alcohol far more than most of us

I think it’s sad that they choose to air the foibles of their personal relationship so publicly. Depp’s reputation is now tainted and I don’t think he can rescue it with this action. He appears flippant. She just looks strained and uncomfortable.There’s something very disturbing about the whole thing really.

Depp is a well known actor, but hardly one of the great geniuses of stage and screen. In fact he comes across as a bit stupid. Heard I had never heard of before all this. Their testimony and accusations are boring, dull and uninteresting. Could it be that they organised all this song-and-dance to get people talking about them?

Depp is a well known actor, but hardly one of the great geniuses of stage and screen. In fact he comes across as a bit stupid. Heard I had never heard of before all this. Their testimony and accusations are boring, dull and uninteresting. Could it be that they organised all this song-and-dance to get people talking about them?
Could you imagine how much it would cost for the rights to the film, book, stage show, animation etc. Whatever, Depp has not come out of this well.

Some perspective in the Observer today that whilst I’ve not been following this (I have no interest at all in celebrity culture and barely know who these people are) is very interesting. I remember skim-reading this thread a few days ago and then yesterday saw a couple of tweets from folk I respect on the left/feminist end of politics questioning the media narrative. The article is worth a read just as a perspective-check regardless of this specific case.

Are lots of men arseholes, of course. Are lots of men and women imperfect, sure. Does every case of someone being less than perfect and leveraging their status for their own personal gain break the law, no of course not. The world isn't egalitarian, people get on by being stronger, smarter, kinder and more aggressive than those around them. It's a rigged game for all of us. You either decide to take part in it as a player or a pawn or you choose when and how to interact with people based on their motives and their Impact on you.

Putting up with dick heads in your daily life is a choice. Where #metoo was great was in shining a light on those who operated under cover of darkness for years, mostly willingly facilitated by weak people who let it happen because they were worried about their own lot in life, Harvey Weinstein's staff we're talking about you.

#metoo was always going to go too far, that's the nature of resetting the boundaries, but it was a long overdue correction of status and influence.

Is Ryan Adams a shit boyfriend, 100%. Did he break any laws, apparently not. Legislation will always trail public opinion, that's the nature of those two things, and the status quo is a powerful centering force, often exerting too much power.

Is Johnny Depp a needy tool, with a weakness for drugs and alcohol? Does the bear shit in the woods. Is Amber Herd an aggressive manipulative liar who's prepared to go to great lengths to get her own way, including physical abuse? I think so.

Do they deserve each other? Yeh they probably do.

Do I think he every struck her without her hitting him first? No I don't, his previous form and testimony from previous partners would indicate not.

Does this case have anything to do with #metoo, nope. Not in the slightest. And any framing of it that way by the press is just them trading on a social correction to get eyes on their adverts.

Some perspective in the Observer today that whilst I’ve not been following this (I have no interest at all in celebrity culture and barely know who these people are)

Tony, that sounds suspiciously like my mother who used to say she had no interest in this garbage but there was nothing else to read at the hairdresser.

Tony, that sounds suspiciously like my mother who used to say she had no interest in this garbage but there was nothing else to read at the hairdresser.

Ha! It’s pretty much true though. I’ve heard of Johnny Depp as I saw Edward Scissorhands back in the 80s or whenever it was first on TV. I don’t know if I’ve seen a film with Amber Heard in it or not, she doesn’t really register with me, but I have a hopeless memory for names. I came across the Observer article as someone I follow linked to it on facebook and I thought the angle it took was very interesting. All too often people view these high profile celebrity show-trials based on whether they like person A or B, and I’m guilty of that too (e.g. “Prince” Andrew etc, I unquestionably sided with his accuser). I liked the way the article placed a counterpoint and highlighted a wider context for the #MeToo thing. It interested me from a basic civil rights perspective, which is something I certainly follow. I get the impression from skim-reading opinion that Amber Heard is far from likeable, but that shouldn’t be a factor here at all, and it does appear some narratives are somewhat misogynistic.

They're both unlikeable in different ways, but she's lying through her teeth and he isn't. The media framing is another thing altogether.

Quote "Kate wasn't allowed to testify initially since she was deemed irrelevant to this particular case. However, when Amber name-dropped her in her testimony, that most likely gave way for Johnny's lawyers to have Kate Moss contradict Amber's story here. That's why Johnny's team got excited when Amber said it, if you saw that clip."

advertisement

Back