advertisement

ITV Breathtaking

I thought Israel went in hard and fast, and fared no better ?. Yes how can you compare New Zealand with UK !

Seems almost too soon for a post mortem. Still ongoing with damage being wrought and so many complexities to untangle. Not an altogether useless exercise, however. I'm heartened to see the vaccine injured getting a modicum of recognition of late, some folk indubitably suffered and were sadly maligned. Not to mention those with persisting and debilitating long Covid. What a mess...

Tories make me puke. Sat over there in Spain spouting shite. Christ what i hope comes true for you personally i will not type. As for Uk tories they are hopefully a dying breed and the sooner the better.

I thought Israel went in hard and fast, and fared no better ?. Yes how can you compare New Zealand with UK !
Jacinda Arden, Quote - "New medical modelling considered by the Cabinet today suggests that without the measures I have just announced up to tens of thousands of New Zealanders could die from COVID-19. - The worst case scenario is simply intolerable. It would represent the greatest loss of New Zealanders’ lives in our country’s history. I will not take that chance."

Boris johnson, Quote "Let the bodies pile high"

One person was determined to save lives, the other couldn't give a flying f*ck.

Yes. The ideal place to be in a pandemic. [New Zealand]
Any small island nation should be ideal under the right circumstance (didn't Iceland do pretty well, too?) - such circumstance being the nation having a govt that listens to experts & moves quickly. We in AO/NZ were lucky to have this sort of govt and a PM who communicated well with the public. It's been estimated that 20,000 lives were saved.

I feel the outcome of a similar future pandemic would be rather different under the current serpents nest of Atlas Foundation-funded Truss & conspiracy theory followers.

I don’t watch television drama much so probably won’t see this. Met a young Asian man yesterday and asked why he wanted to join the NHS. He replied that his father was a hospital consultant who worked on wards in the early part of the epidemic. He’d written an open letter to the government about the lack of PPE, he caught Covid and died. My wife was in various hospitals during that period and I regularly took provisions in to the wards. I looked through the little glass panels with my mask on and hand gel; you could see people in there with ordinary surgical masks working. There was no vaccine at that time. Very brave people.

I think saying the government was complacent is a bit like saying Sutcliff was a bit unpleasant. However I would agree with Mick that a large proportion of the public contributed to the spread due to a mixture of ignorance, bloody mindlessness, entitlement and being thick as sh* t. We had someone at works partner die only a few months ago from covid. He didn’t follow any rules and believed it was all a conspiracy.

I think saying the government was complacent is a bit like saying Sutcliff was a bit unpleasant. However I would agree with Mick that a large proportion of the public contributed to the spread due to a mixture of ignorance, bloody mindlessness, entitlement and being thick as sh* t. We had someone at works partner die only a few months ago from covid. He didn’t follow any rules and believed it was all a conspiracy.

That doesn’t get the government off the hook as so much of that anti-science ignorance, bloody-mindedness and conspiracy theory stemmed from the heart of government and its right-wing press. The Tory-hosted far-right propaganda channel GB News is still spouting it to this day.

There is no room for revisionism here. The Conservative Party, like Trump’s GOP spread a lot of misinformation and as a result vast numbers of people died.

PS ‘Eat Out To Help Out’ was pure QAnon/InfoWars/David Icke-grade bullshit, and it was far from the only example of bad advice coming straight from the heart of government. Thankfully I have the IQ and critical abilities to have seen it as highly dangerous and irresponsible misinformation at the time, but I do not blame those who did not. The Tory Party own their death count. No one else.

Started watching it, appears very politicised. A quick google reveals that China had circa a third of the deaths per million than that of NZ. Maybe our govt should have handled covid as they did.

appears very politicised
By that do you mean 'critical of the government's failings'?

Hard to see how it could be otherwise really.

Perhaps for balance they could have added the occasional scene where a couple of nurses in shonky PPE, exhausted on their tenth shift without a day off, walk through a ward of people dying horrible agonising deaths when one of them turns to the other and says "you know, I'm sure that nice Boris Johnson has a very good reason for not attending any of the COBRA meetings.."

Started watching it, appears very politicised. A quick google reveals that China had circa a third of the deaths per million than that of NZ. Maybe our govt should have handled covid as they did.
You need to refine your Google search techniques.

China's reported hospital death toll from COVID has been estimated to be less than one tenth of those who succumbed to the disease without hospitalization.

Beijing also narrowed the definition of COVID mortality after it dismantled its zero tolerance approach. Apparently, there was a massive outbreak of 'respiratory deaths' not necessarily attributed to COVID, just coincidence.

This from the World Health Organization, suggests that the only reasonably accurate way to tally the deaths is via calculating 'excess mortality' relative to 'norms' on a country by country basis...

On 30 January 2020 COVID-19 was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) with an official death toll of 171. By 31 December 2020, this figure stood at 1,813 ,188. Yet preliminary estimates suggest the total number of global deaths attributable to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 is at least 3 million, representing 1.2 million more deaths than officially reported.
With the latest COVID-19 deaths reported to WHO now exceeding 3.4 million, based on the excess mortality estimates produced for 2020, we are likely facing a significant undercount of total deaths directly and indirectly attributed to COVID-19.​
COVID-19 deaths are a key indicator to track the evolution of the pandemic. However, many countries still lack functioning civil registration and vital statistics systems with the capacity to provide accurate, complete and timely data on births, deaths and causes of death. A recent assessment of health information systems capacity in 133 countries found that the percentage of registered deaths ranged from 98% in the European region to only 10% in the African region.​
Countries also use different processes to test and report COVID-19 deaths, making comparisons difficult. To overcome these challenges, many countries have turned to excess mortality as a more accurate measure of the true impact of the pandemic.​
Excess mortality is defined as the difference in the total number of deaths in a crisis compared to those expected under normal conditions. COVID-19 excess mortality accounts for both the total number of deaths directly attributed to the virus as well as the indirect impact, such as disruption to essential health services or travel disruptions.​

Started to watch it last night, very late so may start again tonight. Tonje was, not qute shouting at the TV but certainly commenting "forcefully" and we weren't even 20 minutes in.
My thought as to why there were 2 nurses watching over Johnson during his "Covid" stay in hopital, was that one was there in case the other felt an overwhelming urge to smother him.

We both got Covid in March 20, and whilst I recovered ok , Tonje developed Long Covid and her health has been bad ever since.

advertisement

Back