advertisement

ITV Breathtaking

I have no problem with disagreeing but don't recall mentioning money. By the skin of the world’s collective teeth and the prescience of some Oxford scientists to have carried on unexciting research for coronavirus vaccines we have avoided being either nearly all dead or living in the 1950s again (some slight poetic licence added)
I appreciate that but money is the be all and end all. No work, no money. Unfortunately, that takes precedence over anything else. Harsh reality but true. Being all caring won’t mean a thing when you're kicked out of your hone for not paying the bills.

I strongly recommend Pale Rider by Laura Spinney.

The single biggest lesson of the wrongly titled Spanish Flu was that you cannot balance health and the economy. In order to preserve, save or whatever language you want to use with regard to the economy, you have to prioritise health above everything. Those countries which did that a century ago were exactly the ones who bounced back quickest economically. It was a lesson long forgotten by the late 1960s and yet, internationally, there have been multiple books and multiple research which has always come to that conclusion. Those countries which prioritised the economy or tried to balance the two failed miserably.

One can argue forever about the best approach to slow, prevent a pandemic etc. but two things hold true. Firstly, regardless of the number of deaths and likely long term ill health, those countries which locked down hard and shut borders, have been the fastest to recover economically. Secondly, regardless of our hindsight on the pros and cons of lock downs etc. not closing external borders for a period (allegedly in the name of the economy) was an error.

The one and only time in my life I agree with anything out of the mouth of Priti Patel.

I strongly recommend the Spinney book. It’s sobering on many levels.

If Covid 20 hits, it'll be rather late! Don't align yourself with (I think it was Sarah Palin, or somebody equally stupid in the GOP) who said something like: what's so special about Covid 19, what happened to Covids 1-18, why weren't they a problem?
Lol

You need to bear in mind Ponty is only here to troll. I’m not convinced he has a hifi-system or any music.
I've definitely got a system and certainly not here to troll but I could never agree with any of the lockdowns or restrictions.

As we're in a free society I’m just voicing my opinion like everyone else is, other then that as far as I’m concerned we’re all good.😊

I've definitely got a system and certainly not here to troll but I could never agree with any of the lockdowns or restrictions.

As we're in a free society I’m just voicing my opinion like everyone else is, other then that as far as I’m concerned we’re all good.😊
Did you not read Mikes post - #102?

Did you not read Mikes post - #102?
Yes?
But everyone must have had covid and the population of the UK is still over 67m so many of the claims were widely overstated.

I had it like many even before the vaccines and it didn’t even appear that I was ill, like many I expect. There’s still people out there terrified of leaving the house and still wandering around in masks in my local supermarkets and the fear is far worse than the virus that in all honesty I’ve had worse colds.

The Covid lockdowns certainly impacted a lot of people economically. I was working in events at the time and a lot of people quickly found themselves living off universal credit. A guy I know who runs a small PA hire firm lived off his credit card through lockdown and is likely still paying it off. Lots of firms went to the wall with jobs lost. Facebook groups were awash with freelancers selling their gear for buttons because they needed to pay the rent.

It was awful for so many people.

But compared with "letting it rip" I still think lockdown was the least bad option.

The Covid lockdowns certainly impacted a lot of people economically. I was working in events at the time and a lot of people quickly found themselves living off universal credit. A guy I know who runs a small PA hire firm lived off his credit card through lockdown and is likely still paying it off. Lots of firms went to the wall with jobs lost. Facebook groups were awash with freelancers selling their gear for buttons because they needed to pay the rent.

It was awful for so many people.

But compared with "letting it rip" I still think lockdown was the least bad option.
I tend it think it just dragged it out longer, everyone caught it eventually.

I consider your views selfish, irresponsible and driven by right-wing anti-science. Hundreds of thousands died. Anyone citing Esther McVey as a source for anything has to be questioned. She is what Tories have left once they run out of all knowledge, qualification or experience. Just another Lee Anderson.

Theoretically I’d not have an issue if it was just the science deniers who died. You are more than welcome to spend your days licking toilet door-handles and escalator hand-rails. That is a you thing. That said in practice it still hurts, e.g. Marco from the Art Of Sound forum had exactly your attitude, likely even more so than you as he bought into the Trump/InfoWars-grade conspiracy theories. As I understand it he caught covid and now four years later is barely alive. I’d not wish that on anyone. His gullibility clearly played a part, but I still place responsibility on wider society who did understand the science to protect those who didn’t, or had simply been misled. The support networks should have been a lot better. The science should have been listened to.

There’s still people out there terrified of leaving the house and still wandering around in masks in my local supermarkets and the fear is far worse than the virus that in all honesty I’ve had worse colds.
My immunosuppressed neighbour for one. Even vaccinated a bout of covid would have had very serious health implications for her.

There are plenty of people with chronic health conditions for whom the prospect of covid was far far worse than a bad cold.

I consider your views selfish, irresponsible and driven by right-wing anti-science. Hundreds of thousands died. Anyone citing Esther McVey as a source for anything has to be questioned. She is what Tories have left once they run out of all knowledge, qualification or experience. Just another Lee Anderson.

Theoretically I’d not care if it was just the science deniers who died. You are more than welcome to spend your days licking toilet door-handles and escalator hand-rails. That is a you thing. That said in practice it still hurts, e.g. Marco from the Art Of Sound forum had exactly your attitude, likely even more so than you as he bought into the really dumb Trump/InfoWars-grade conspiracy theories. As I understand it he caught covid and is now barely alive. I’d actually not wish that on anyone. His gullibility clearly played a part, but I still place responsibility on wider society who did understand the science to protect those who didn’t. The support networks should have been a lot better.
That's an unfortunate reply from you Tony. I certainly didn't spend my days licking toilet door handles and escalator rails but at the end of the day, no one was going to pay my mortgage or bills. It's work and earn money or on the streets.

We've spent the last 3 years trying to recover financially back to what we had whilst the white collar workers just go into work part time whilst spending the rest of the time relaxing at home pretending to do something at home. I’ll never forget the phone call on the radio I heard during covid, “I love working from home as I have time to put the washing on, walk the dog etc”. And it's not hearsay, I see it every day with my own eyes, not in work Monday's or Fridays, half day Thursdays.

In the first months of 2020 the number of reported cases was doubling every 3-5 days. The NHS does not have limitless capacity and at that rate would have quickly become overwhelmed. Italy was around 3 weeks ahead of the UK, with our infection rates following a similar pattern, and in some regions they reached the point where medics were having to choose who to treat and who to send home to die. Lockdowns were the only way to put a brake on the growth in infections to allow the NHS to recover and buy time for development of a vaccine.

Yes?
But everyone must have had covid and the population of the UK is still over 67m so many of the claims were widely overstated.
Can you not accept, even grudgingly, that without lockdown slowing the spread to allow the vaccine development to get ahead, and that we were lucky that the first variant to get into humans was one of the less infectious ones (which wasn’t known at the time), the outcomes could have been very different?

I tend it think it just dragged it out longer, everyone caught it eventually.
I suspect a very large percentage have, but those who caught it early and survived, pre vaccine were lucky. 2 of my closest friends nearly died (one given a phone in hospital to call his children to say goodbye). I caught it after 2 or 3 jabs and it was like a really bad cold apart from the loss of taste or smell. Lockdowns saved many lives and if we all die (exaggeration alert) there will be no economy left or mortgage payments to worry about. It's these very situations where good governance is shown, whether through preparation or mitigation. Johnson was a one man superspreader.

advertisement

Back