advertisement

Hifi sounds better , shock.

johnhunt

pfm Member
....even my children have noticed.

I have Atc100's in a room just big enough to accommodate them. I've had them for nearly 3 years. Not from new but from refurbished/upgraded to current spec by ATC. They sit on Townsend cradles. Thing is in recent weeks they have suddenly started sounding, well, amazing. This is the same for records, CDs or tidal. There has been lots of me sitting in the lounge thinking f**k that's lovely. Nothing has changed to cause this apart from the flat above is being gutted and redone and I wonder whether they've unplugged something noisey ( the bloke leading this is such a meathead I'm not inclined to ask him ), I've leant a long thick piece of dried up driftwood behind the right speaker and finally I think I managed to cure some bass suck out issues by speaker placement. Any thoughts on this the first thread on actual hifi I've started here in 400 years ?

The first missionaries arrived in Quebec, and the Grolsch brewery was founded in the year you last posted.

You will never get a simple answer unless a fellow member has visited you before and after.

Things to ignore rule out:

The weather is getting better, warmer, you are feeling better/about life (because of changes in the flat).

Your health and state of mind has improved for whatever reason, exercise, diet.

The work to the flat is altering the whole box the building supplies as an extension of the speakers and what you can hear.

Disregard the children/wifes opinions they are naturally supportative and are far from neutral in their stated views.

Enjoy it and note when it changes again perhaps by the flats new state being complete and occupied (less boomy).

Why do I bother taking people on here seriously?

Apparently Pluto has moved out of Uranus and that will make everything seem a whole lot better. I imagine you are probably a Taurus, Aquarius, Capricorn or one of the others.

QED.

Apparently Pluto has moved out of Uranus and that will make everything seem a whole lot better. I imagine you are probably a Taurus, Aquarius, Capricorn or one of the others.

QED.

Sometimes simple humour makes me laugh. This was one of those times. :)

Veering off into the world of hifi I'd say it was something to with more low level detail. This makes me think its mains related. A discernible hum I had before has disappeared , just noticed this.

Veering off into the world of hifi I'd say it was something to with more low level detail. This makes me think its mains related. A discernible hum I had before has disappeared , just noticed this.

That alone would improve things massively for me.

A bit like when the air con is temporarily turned off at work. The peace is shocking.

You will never get a simple answer unless a fellow member has visited you before and after.

Things to ignore rule out:

The weather is getting better, warmer, you are feeling better/about life (because of changes in the flat).

Unlikely. Weather patterns fluctuate. This seems like an enduring change.

Your health and state of mind has improved for whatever reason, exercise, diet.

Again, unlikely. A change in stellar alignment is about as likely.

The work to the flat is altering the whole box the building supplies as an extension of the speakers and what you can hear.

Unlikely to enhance low-level resolution.

Disregard the children/wifes opinions they are naturally supportative and are far from neutral in their stated views.

That"s a load of old bollocks, especially if their comments are unprompted. Close family members tend to be more candid than polite acquaintances.

Enjoy it and note when it changes again perhaps by the flats new state being complete and occupied (less boomy).

Hopefully it won't change again.

Why do I bother taking people on here seriously?

Clearly you don't.

I think it's mains related.

My guess would be mains, too. Why not try unplugging your fridge and/or computer for a few minutes and have another listen. If you notice anything resembling a further improvement along similar lines, it might help point the finger at something your ex neighbour had on, which was pants, as far as mains quality goes.

Just wait until the bloke on the same phase of the electricity supply plugs in his arc welder!!!! I had this happen to me once and the first thing we noticed was the lights flickering in sync with the arc being stuck!

Mains pollution is a real issue but it tends to sit on the same phase of the supply as you are on, and as you are in flats you could all share the same one....

Jono

I have used my welder without it affecting any thing else in the house, must have been a big welder or very bad mains.

Pete

Pete,

We lived on farm at the end a spur which amplified the effect i'm sure, but it was a monster set that the chap got from an old factory somewhere in the Black Country if I remember correctly..

It only affected the lights but it was a bit scary in the dark with flickering lights to start with.

Jono

QED.

Constipation - that's another possibility!

If it is mains related then the likelihood is that the sound will deteriorate again when the above flat is back in use. You might then consider a power conditioner or regenerator.

Constipation - that's another possibility!

If it is mains related then the likelihood is that the sound will deteriorate again when the above flat is back in use. You might then consider a power conditioner or regenerator.

Maybe

advertisement

Back