advertisement

Hegel 360 and other oomph-y integrateds

As the very happy owner of Banjoman's old Hegel H160, I do wonder if it's possible to find a better amplifier, in the real world, than the H360 which he says is just the same as the H160, but with much greater power.

Thanks Andrew, I have literally just switched on a new integrated amplifier from the UK manufacturer Kleio Audio, it sounds great and it is beautifully put together, imight it be worth emailing Garry at Kleio for a home demonstration.The more possibles you hear in your own system the better.
Keith.

Glad it sounds good Keith, but I'm not looking for an integrated amp; that's the OP.

No, the impedance cruve is fairly benign with no great dips, so the OP really doesn't need a seriously powerful amp like the Hegel.

When I had C7s I generally used them in a medium sized room, but there was one time we set them up in my larger living room, which is about 7m x 4.5m. My main amps for some years now have been the Unison Research Unico Pre/DM. The DM is a 150W mosfet/valve hybrid, and that system sounded pretty fantastic in the larger room. Saying that it sounded very good with a Croft 7R also, which is only 50W, so it's not all about power.

If you are set on high wattage and want an integrated amp, the Perreaux Eloquence 150i is a very good option with Harbeths. Probably the closest I've heard to my Unicos in an integrated.

However, I'm not quite clear if the OP has actually heard the Nait XS with his Harbeths in this larger room yet. Before I had the Unico amps I had Naim 202/200. It was certainly not lacking in oomph, and as far as I know the Nait XS is pretty much as powerful.

Yes I have heard the Nait XS with the Harbeths in my listening room because that's what I'm using at the moment. It's at 11 o'clock much of the time and while it's just about coping, has no reserves.

I'm not looking for power to deal with a difficult impedance curve - I'm looking for power to deliver the kinds of dynamics and drive that I'm used to and enjoy.

Andrew (Elephantears) has had more experience with different Harbeth-amp combos than anyone else I know and I've heard many of these combinations at this place - so, I'd definitely heed his advice.
Prior to Shahinians, I had Proac D28s which I'd imagine to be more similar to Harbeths in terms of power requirements and I had great results with a wide range of amps including a Nait XS-2.
All this in a reasonably wide and high room.

I would still urge OP to get a home demo of a Hegel amp. I have been mightily impressed by both the H160 and H360, and dont mind evangelising them a bit.
However, considering the power requirements of the HArbeths, may I suggest you try the H160 (as Shuggie mentions). It is sonically very very similar to the H360 and you will not need the higher power of the H360.

There will be quite a few other integrateds with more than enough power worth considering. My favourites were:
Warm and full sound - Audio Analogue Verdi cento hybrid and Conrad Johnson CA200
More neutral but smooth and dynamic sound - ATC integrated, Sony ES770/777, Sugden Masterclass

No, the impedance cruve is fairly benign with no great dips, so the OP really doesn't need a seriously powerful amp like the Hegel.

When I had C7s I generally used them in a medium sized room, but there was one time we set them up in my larger living room, which is about 7m x 4.5m. My main amps for some years now have been the Unison Research Unico Pre/DM. The DM is a 150W mosfet/valve hybrid, and that system sounded pretty fantastic in the larger room. Saying that it sounded very good with a Croft 7R also, which is only 50W, so it's not all about power.

If you are set on high wattage and want an integrated amp, the Perreaux Eloquence 150i is a very good option with Harbeths. Probably the closest I've heard to my Unicos in an integrated.

However, I'm not quite clear if the OP has actually heard the Nait XS with his Harbeths in this larger room yet. Before I had the Unico amps I had Naim 202/200. It was certainly not lacking in oomph, and as far as I know the Nait XS is pretty much as powerful.

Yes I have heard the Nait XS with the Harbeths in my listening room because that's what I'm using at the moment. It's at 11 o'clock much of the time and while it's just about coping, has no reserves.

I'm not looking for power to deal with a difficult impedance curve - I'm looking for power to deliver the kinds of dynamics and drive that I'm used to and enjoy.

Ok, well I would certainly recommend the Perreaux for an iron fist in velvet glove option (and I imagine Plinius would be similar), or Deba's recommendation of the Hegel for a supremely neutral and clear alternative (although I've not heard this with Harbeths).

KJW1 used to use Krell very often with Harbeths; not the kind of amp I'd naturally go for, but it did work well. And I think they were recommending a very powerful integrated by Yamaha recently. I would speak to them.

If you want to reduce box count why not sell the speakers too and go to active monitors?

I haven't actually bought the Harbeths yet -they're on loan to me from a dealer. I won't rule out the actives idea. Problem is I'd probably only really be satisfied with a stonking great pair of ATCs though, and they're not cheap...

The speakers are about £2k right, and you said you can budget up to £5k for an amp (wrong way around IMO) so add it together and drop £7k on a pair of used actives.

PMC IB1A might be around that price. So would passive IB2 and a Bryston amp, used.

..Actually looking on the net I can only find 'powered' versions of the IB1 and IB2, do they not make a real active version?

With that budget you could get some Geithains. They do a 3 way of a similar size to Compact 7s for about £7k but I believe they can be had for less if you are canny. I forget the model number but they are astoundingly good.

Well, nothing wrong with Hegel 360 really nice sounding amp with great power. My dealer here in Denmark also sells hegel and Perreaux. I ended up with Perreaux Elequence 250i. Very nice amp with ALL the power I need. May I also suggest a little more special amp from Germany called AARON No1a. That is one fine sounding amp. Really amazing sounding and with enough power.

Anyone compared a Hegel against a Gato DIA 250?

From how I've heard Gatos describd, they sound a bit similar.

Get yourself off to the classic room and have a read of the JVC AX-1010TN thread. I would very much like to hear one against either the Devialet or the Hegel. You could save yourself over 4 grand.

Tim if it helps, my Compact 7's really do respond well to more power, Hegel H360, would be top of my list.

Nice problem to have!

Get yourself off to the classic room and have a read of the JVC AX-1010TN thread. I would very much like to hear one against either the Devialet or the Hegel. You could save yourself over 4 grand.

That would be a great result since the Hegel retails at £3400!

That would be a great result since the Hegel retails at £3400!

I think the point that Dan is making is that the old/new JVC is an astonishingly good amp for the money. It doesn't sound too shabby when compared to my Dynavectors. It should be considered as as serious option especially if you fancy a sort of late 80's, 'padded shoulder', BIG volume control kind of amp.

Remember that power needs to quadroooople just to get you +6dB extra level.

I know, fair point. I'm not expecting to drop from 11 o'clock on the dial to 8. I'm just looking for a bit of extra reserve for those crescendo moments...

In fairness, part of my problem has less to do with power amp section output, and more to do with pre-gain structure. I use pretty low output MC carts into external MC stages. Having prioritised vinyl, part of my perceived problem may well be helped by new a phono stage (an Aurorasound Vida) with slightly more gain than my usual stage (Clearaudio Balance).

At this rate I think I'll also push the button and take a Hegel 360 for a test drive. The combination of an SME 20/3, DV TKR, Vida, Hegel 360 and Compact 7s in a big room has some appeal.

If gain structure on the phono side is the issue, I wouldn't think a Vida is the answer as, from what I remember, it has fairly low gain. I'd love one myself mind.

What is your MC ouput and your phono stage gain? Probably a good idea to do the sums before you buy a 360W amp and find your records are still sounding a bit thin!

http://www.kabusa.com/pregain.htm

I think the point that Dan is making is that the old/new JVC is an astonishingly good amp for the money. It doesn't sound too shabby when compared to my Dynavectors. It should be considered as as serious option especially if you fancy a sort of late 80's, 'padded shoulder', BIG volume control kind of amp.

Exactly, it's very capable of driving Shahinian Obelisks and possibly has the best DAC and possibly the most complete phonostge that I have ever heard. At <£700 delivered It's game changing, even at 5x the cost it's well worth the money.

advertisement

Back