advertisement

Has anyone bought a product because of a recommendation on ASR?

This may not be exactly what the OP asked - sorry - but IMHO testing of the ASR type is there mostly to help me decide what not to buy.

It's like the ratings on white goods for energy consumption. It's there to show up the laggards amongst equipment makers who ought to do better. There to bring their performance up towards a good practice standard. There have been some real howlers on ASR. Finding the things that needed fixing on some piece of kit because they fell below "good practice" standard or customer specification was always how I used to use lab test gear.

But then if you keep your eyes open on audio forums any one product, of good practice or otherwise, gets opinions all over the place from buyers. One size clearly does not fit all. However, some ideas of good practice will be more broadly useful to buyers than others. That makes testing of them, and ASR-type testing in general, more valuable to equipment makers who want to appeal to a large portion of the market than to the smaller number of buyers with less average audio tastes.

I think it's an audiophile thing (and to me logically problematic) to invert the approaches: from avoiding the bad to seeking the good, and from focus on equipment-maker value to focus on buyer value. However, for quite a few it seems that seeking that last tiny improvement is what they enjoy. OK. Some do it by ear/brain and some by test result. There lie the two opposite ends of one dimension of the hobby. IME, buyers validly occupy all points on that axis. No right place, no wrong place.

It’s interesting, I first came across it when I was looking at JBL loudspeakers, the budget A130, which got some pretty favourable comments on there.
I can’t say I understand all the graphs etc. or if they are actually of massive importance to the end result, but it’s interesting.

Oh and ‘no’.
😀

Along with a Wiim mini from Amazon prime......
Have two of these dacs now...
A difficult set up to beat for the price and allows up-gradability without putting a nonsense amount of money into a one box streamer set up,that will be old and potentially not worth repairing...

I have bought two dacs and a portable headphone amp, based directly on Amar's recommendation. I have to say that all three have sounded fantastic and for someone like myself who is on a budget they have been a godsend.
The forum isn't for me: they are all playing at being little scientists and can be amazingly rude and dismissive of anything that isn't measurement based.
I know that @sq225917 and @tuga contribute on ASR perhaps they will comment?

Has anyone bought a product because of a recommendation on ASR ?

What product?

Did it meet your expectations (from its review)?

Did it replace and outperform a more expensive item?

I’m interested in some real word experience, from people who put their money down.

.sjb

I avoid anything that has a recommendation by ASR these days. Before, I tried a few products peddled by the ASR shill that was on here before he was exited and was thoroughly dissatisfied with them (RME dac for instance), so now, I do check ASR to see if it was praised, and it it was, I know I won't like it. Their linear black and white cult views aren't for a world made up of colours.

I now have a system I am over the moon and each day I turn it on I never crave for anything more,...other than maybe the ££ out of it back in my bank account! None of my kit features on ASR, but each element is an important part of the chain.

I don’t think he’s reviewed anything old enough for me to own!

Much that I’ve read reminds me in a way of the Flat Response back in the ‘80s when they’d argue a Linn Basik was better than a Koetsu, NAD3020 better than a Audio Research etc. I guess I’ve only ever read the wilfully click-bait stuff that gets drawn to my attention by others, e.g. I recall he ”proved” a £100 bargain bucket Chinese DAC was better than a Chord Dave.

It would be interesting to read a review of something I actually know, maybe he’s done the Mojo 2 (I’ve got one)? I’ll have a look sometime.

That said my whole mindset and buying decision process is so different there is little overlap. I buy classic kit with a proven reputation, collectability and long-term reliability. I’m just not a new box-opening fan when it comes to hi-fi.

Along with a Wiim mini from Amazon prime......
Have two of these dacs now...
A difficult set up to beat for the price and allows up-gradability without putting a nonsense amount of money into a one box streamer set up,that will be old and potentially not worth repairing...
Strongly agree with you regarding investment in steaming kit. It's a quickly advancing area and the few that I've had all sound the same into the same dac.

It would be interesting to read a review of something I actually know, maybe he’s done the Mojo 2 (I’ve got one)? I’ll have a look sometime.
Thats interesting Tony. What prompted you to invest? I thought you ran a classic DPA dac. Does the Mojo sound better?

I’ve bought a few bits that ASR have reviewed but not purchased on their recommendation. A friend has bought a few bits from there (smsl amp and topping DAC) they are competent devices, I prefer the flavour of my BB DAC to his ESS, they are very close on the magic SINAD scale.

I like what Amir is trying to do, there is a lot of good info on there. The whole SINAD thing ruins it for me, you are taking a load of measurement data and condensing it into a 5star review. Then basing everything on that 5 star review, so in that respect I find it no better than What HiFi. The forum terrifies me!

I guess I have also come to accept, I don’t mind a bit of distortion, I’m fairly happy with a few variations from a flat frequency response, I don’t need a scientifically perfect system to enjoy music.

Thats interesting Tony. What prompted you to invest? I thought you ran a classic DPA dac. Does the Mojo sound better?

DACs are all in the air here at the moment as there has been a fairly major arrival. I’ll post a pic on the system pics thread in a few minutes. The Mojo/Poly is more a headphone solution here, it isn’t in a system, and a very nice one. I’ve always liked the Mojo, Richard (Lordsummit) has the first one. Anyway, the PDM3 will likely be finding a new home soon…

I was reading about Lampizators on WBF a while back (mostly DAC's connected direct to power amps - Horizon/Pacific - not anything I can actually afford). A lot were real fans of their sound and had them in very impressive looking systems.

I just searched them on ASR out of curiosity and saw that the OP asking about them was quickly accused of trolling. By post 6 they had been advised that ASR might be a tough place for them, and that they were not considering sound when looking at them.

I would still like to hear one.
I have heard one, in an impressive looking system, and it sounded very good. Nine years ago, mind.
29395977051_83226ba59e_c.jpg

A year or two back I discovered ASR. I was on the hunt for a pair of mini-monitors to beat LS50 Metas, JR149s and my own Murphy CAOW1s. As somebody who does believe that decent measurements are necessary for good sound, it's tempting to think that excellent measurments will lead to excellent sound.

I eventually found a page that listed all the speakers he has tested in a table with an "objective" score. These can be sorted into highest scoring at the top:

The highest scoring speaker in the right format is the Revel F208 with an objective score of 6.6. I read the review and started to think about how to audition a pair at home.

Then I noticed the KEF LS50 Meta review and saw that they scored 6.0, which on ASR is still a very commendable rating and not that far from the 6.6 of the Revels. For comparison the Magnepan LRS scores -0.2 🙃

This is where this nice logical way of choosing speakers fell apart. Good as the LS50Ms are at the hifi stuff, they just aren't particularly engaging speakers to enjoy music on.

I still wonder what the Revels might sound like. But not enough to do anything about it.

Overall I would say ASR's objective score is about as useful as HiFi News' subjective score i.e. about 2/10 on my ranking system :D

advertisement

Back