advertisement

Harbeth Monitor 40.1

Tiger, my kingdom for a ATC 50,100 active & Harbeth 40.1 bake-off, as mentioned by Paul, so I can just buy one...once and for all.

Well they're all keepers those speakers and if I was paying that price I would probably want to have a listen first, apart from the Harbeth's. If room and finances allowed I'd buy them tomorrow.

sometimes people buy thigs they cant really afford...after the initial `it was worth it' excitement has worn off and they realise that their credit card bill has gone up a couple of grand for the sake of a pair of speakers, they have guilt and panic, and they list them for sale.

On the other hand some folk ask 2 million questions about an item, they get very differing responses (of course) which offers no help and the person asking the question never actually goes to hear the f*ckin things for themselves anyway and never buy owt!

the answer is, i think, is to initially buy a reasonably good well matched system put together buy a trusted dealer and never listen to anything else and dont coem on forums!! If you dont take that path and you get to hear lots of kit in various rooms, its hard to accept kit without the good bits you have heard in all the other bits of kit!

I assume you guys are either joking or, unlike poor me, you operate in a financial stratosphere I can only dream of.
not at all in eiher sense. I and I presume TJ are talking about buying used trying and selling on if no likey. This of course becomes more complex regards expensive/exotic gear.

Greg, I joined the forums already having a half-decent diddy system that you would buy without worrying too much but I am finding it difficult to step up to buy a once and for all system.

You would imagine, as suggested by Paul, that arranging a demo of ATC 50,100 actives and Harbeth 40.1 before you buy bearing in mind the astronomical price would be capable of arrangement?

Afraid not.

The dealers aren't interested and it makes me wonder what exactly they bring to the party other than taking a % of whatever they provide an agency for.

I have been in pm with a dealer and I whilst I would love to repeat their response to my request to hear such speakers I choose not to as it was pm correspondence.

Not joking at all, as greg says it's part of the fun. It has cost me quite dearly at times but as 95% of the hifi I buy is second hand you can always sell it on, or like me form a collection of speakers in the loft.
Just spotted this. Yes, I'd say the same. I've lost very little overall on what I've sold on, but probably have kept too much gear which has now spilled over to being brought into work. My colleagues don't really get it.

Just spotted this. Yes, I'd say the same. I've lost very little overall on what I've sold on, but probably have kept too much gear which has now spilled over to being brought into work. My colleagues don't really get it.

It's what I do as well. Part of the fun for me....

Greg, I joined the forums already having a half-decent diddy system that you would buy without worrying too much but I am finding it difficult to step up to buy a once and for all system.

You would imagine, as suggested by Paul, that arranging a demo of ATC 50,100 actives and Harbeth 40.1 before you buy bearing in mind the astronomical price would be capable of arrangement?

Afraid not.

The dealers aren't interested and it makes me wonder what exactly they bring to the party other than taking a % of whatever they provide an agency for.

I have been in pm with a dealer and I whilst I would love to repeat their response to my request to hear such speakers I choose not to as it was pm correspondence.
I hear what you're saying. I think at least with decent examples of active ATCs you wouldn't have too much trouble selling them on. I guess to audition you have to rely on the friendly pfm members and their hospitality. If dealers are so commercially delinquent they deserve to go bust. One thing about pro gear though is you may find pro dealers to be more commercially minded.

Fair point Greg. Whilst I know pf members with all of the above who have kindly offered to let me hear them, as you appreciate, they're not that portable esp the 100s which don't weigh much less than me so If anyone has such model and wants to bake-off I, for one, would be interested and I think Paul would too with probably the heaviest model being allowed to travel the least!

I have enjoyed attending a few bake-offs in recent times through the forums but it is the speakers I seem to remember - e.g. Beobloke's Ferrographs at Scalford last year, I think they're called that, and, in particular, a pair of egg shaped speakers made of marble from Thailand that left everyone spellbound at the recent meet at Waltham Abbey.

Greg

No disrespect guys but isn't this a bit like collecting stamps?

I'm the same as this pair, buy and sell loads of second hand gear just to listen to it, nothing lasts long at my gaff!

I don't really keep any of it unless I really can't sell it or make my money back which is virtually never. Even at the sort of serious speakers you are looking at I wouldn't dem them, but then neither would I pay new price for any of them, I'd wait for a used pair to crop up.

matt, I know a guy I respect on another forum who bought a s/h pair of well thought of speakers from what he thought was a reputable person. He paid a 4 figure sum. The speakers had had speaker units replaced which didn't affect their ability to play but the refit was unsightly and would affect their resale value.

He bought them without being able to see them before he bought them.

He may have been unlucky but I would prefer to buy once and buy well and then get on with just listening to the music and I will wait a little while longer and do that.

Rightly or wrongly, I have narrowed it down to the ATC 50,100 & Harbeth 40.1 and if the hifi dealer who approached me, without me contacting him I might add, dosen't want to facilitate me hearing them then so be it we'll turn it into a bake-off if I get my way!

Frankly I find it hard to believe (especially in the current economic climate ) that any dealer would refuse a home evaluation.
Keith.

advertisement

Back