advertisement

Half-Kitschy Fall Pictures (WARNING: one them not office safe)

I don't care:), I still like it. I've been an ALFA fan for years and the picture shows it in it's ideal element.

I can appreciate it has been "touched up" a bit:), but I like the message it's sending me. Is that so bad? TBH I only posted it as a joke because Ian hates cars, I didn't expect it to be judged so seriously!

BTW, there are others on this site welded together just as well/badly:D.

Saw this old truck at the local cyclocross race today:

289963346_4598a4bc4e.jpg

Photo Sharing

I'm sure I can resist any offer John may make.

That's much more like it vuk. I shall make xmas cards out of that.

-- Ian

something for sunset lovers/haters and opera fans

ian.

that was just a teaser. here is the real stuff (shot yesterday):

http://vukfoto.com/exhib/sunset/

i can't believe i got three different shades of sky within 20 minutes, but that's the sort of thing cty polution produces.

interested in your (and anyone else's) opinion as to whether or not i have managed to transcend kitch with these. i know the second shot looks like something you'd see as a cheap art print decorating an asian restaurant, but that is part of the charm to me. i haven't actually shot the sunset per se with any of them, just used the sky effects as my "canvass."

vuk.

interested in your (and anyone else's) opinion as to whether or not i have managed to transcend kitch with these

Sunsets always have an element of kitsch I suspect, but who cares, a good one is a beautiful thing. Of those three I really like After Life, the blues are very pleasing, and not kitsch.

-- Ian

Sunsets always have an element of kitsch I suspect, but who cares, a good one is a beautiful thing. Of those three I really like After Life, the blues are very pleasing, and not kitsch.

Surely kitsch, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder?

But who is the arbiter of what constitutes 'poor taste'?

artists, galleries, art critics, collectors, people who can express intelligent opinions and, of course, her majesty the queen.

vuk.

p.s. prince charles is not a bad watercolourer/ist(?).

artists, galleries, art critics, collectors, people who can express intelligent opinions and, of course, her majesty the queen.

vuk.

p.s. prince charles is not a bad watercolourer/ist(?).

HMQ keeps her breakfast cereal in Tupperware containers, which are surely kitsch-ness personified, and Prince Charles has just married a woman with a face like a slapped arse. Art critics and collectors are mostly homosexuals, and galleries are inanimate spaces incapable of independent thought.

The whole issue of good/bad taste is a minefield wrapped in an enigma.

The whole issue of good/bad taste is a minefield wrapped in an enigma.

Tastefully wrapped, I hope?

I think some people are more visually literate than others, either through instinct or training. This is not to deny that ultimately it's all very subjective, but it does mean some people have more interesting/better reasoned arguments for their preferences than others. Same goes for writing and arguing about music, or any other creative form.

-- Ian

I like your sunsets even if they do make Ontaria look like it's on Venus :)

I think to "transcend the kitsch" depends somewhat on context. In a tasteful adn restrained/austere setting they would look great but in Elton & MyPartnerDavidFurnish's boudoir they would be kitschastic. From the first set "Tip Toe" and "lightness of the Witch Doctor" for me.

I like your sunset pic as well Ian. You lose Kitchs points though as you have waves lapping on a beach but have failed to include a beautiful exotic maiden being ravished by a shirtless hunk. As a student of the Vuksanovic school I expect you to have a list of suitable models in your PDA by now :)

Matthew

PS If your Kitsch period is to continue, Vuk, I thing you shuld get a suitably dramatic phot of yourself on your gallery pages in the style of Andrew Vicari :)

http://www.andrew-vicari.com/home.php

(Britain's richest painter, btw, with a fortune of some £92m)

Tastefully wrapped, I hope?

I think some people are more visually literate than others, either through instinct or training. This is not to deny that ultimately it's all very subjective, but it does mean some people have more interesting/better reasoned arguments for their preferences than others. Same goes for writing and arguing about music, or any other creative form.

Well, yes, but the latter is generally confined to opinions about whether such and such is a good piece of music or a good book, without the attendant baggage about 'kitsch' or 'good taste'. I think being paranoid about good taste or kitschness can be very limiting.

advertisement

Back