Do you have grandchildren?

• Yes

Votes: 56 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 92 59.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters
Aye. Two of them. One of each. So the potential is there. I think it's more the thought of going back to serious levels of child-care that scares me, rather than being a grandparent. I found it quite hard, when my own kids were small, to muster the energy needed to be a good (enough) parent.

I certainly wouldn’t want to care for the grandkids in any regular childcare way were my children rely on my input for them to work.

We see the grandchildren mostly through desire, rather than as part of a regular childcare/babysitting arrangement.
The exception is occasionally caring for our youngest Grandson who had cerebral palsy, his parents need some respite and the boy needs a high level of care.
What I do experience though is a very close love for the G-Kids. They evoke feelings that I was surprised by, and are a joy to be near.
We are glad that we live close enough to share their early lives, although G-Kid Number 4 is due very soon, and they live 200 miles away.

It is interesting to reflect on my own upbringing, with my Grandparents close by. My Grandmothers were the caring women of their brood, whereas my Grandfathers were surly, monosyllabic and had little time for their Grandchildren.

I certainly wouldn’t want to care for the grandkids in any regular childcare way were my children rely on my input for them to work.

We see the grandchildren mostly through desire, rather than as part of a regular childcare/babysitting arrangement.
The exception is occasionally caring for our youngest Grandson who had cerebral palsy, his parents need some respite and the boy needs a high level of care.
What I do experience though is a very close love for the G-Kids. They evoke feelings that I was surprised by, and are a joy to be near.
We are glad that we live close enough to share their early lives, although G-Kid Number 4 is due very soon, and they live 200 miles away.

It is interesting to reflect on my own upbringing, with my Grandparents close by. My Grandmothers were the caring women of their brood, whereas my Grandfathers were surly, monosyllabic and had little time for their Grandchildren.
It's great that you have that contact and relationship with your grandkids. I'm sure they benefit from it immensely. And you can bring your lifetime's experience to their care, perhaps without the pressure of being their parent. Just to enjoy them.
My Grandads were the same. Hardly said a word. Sat by the fire in brooding silence. Maybe the war and all that damaged them.

My Grandads were the same. Hardly said a word. Sat by the fire in brooding silence. Maybe the war and all that damaged them.

Yes, as you say, sat by the fireplace in their own armchair, brooding silence.
One of my Granddads (my Mam’s Dad) was a tall man who was as hard as nails. He used to bare-knuckle box and had a reputation. He would hack up crap off his chest and spit it into the fire, and had a wide range of foul language. He was the nicer Granddad.
My Dad’s Dad would wear his hat in the house (Trilby) and I cannot remember him saying anything. I know he used his fists on his children, my Dad being the eldest boy got a regular beating. This Granddad scared the crap out of me.

I am glad that I am giving my Grandchildren a more positive experience. The bar was low though.

Never saw my grandad , he got hit by a brick in ww2 and lived in a big mental asylum ,pretty sure the same one david bowies brother was in. Always regretted we were not allowed to see him

Having children should be a conscious decision these days.
Ours are the centre of our lives, and our first grandchild is a great joy.
I never understood, nor liked, people who said "Kick them out of the house at 17/18."

I presume the photo from hifinutt is supposed to be real. To me the children and the crab look plastic. So umm. What is your point?

I presume the photo from hifinutt is supposed to be real. To me the children and the crab look plastic. So umm. What is your point?
yes , too good to be true and seeing others from his portfolio it seems to be AI or something .. thought it looked cute though

Whoop! Whoop!
We have a new Granddaughter!
8lb 8oz. Ouch!

I have been awake half the night worrying my socks off, but all sounds good, baby and mother are well.
We now have four wonderful Grandchildren.
The Wife is already planning a trip down to the Isle O Wight to congratulate the parents and hold the newborn.

Last edited:
It's half term here, so I'm performing childminding duties today. As usual the grandson brought up his electric guitar and, as usual, wanted to connect it to my HiFi, (as I don't have a guitar amp). “You've done it before so you should know what to do.” Plug in (to the TT Moving Coil input), and set the selector to mono, which he eventually worked out.
Is this the correct 'source'? The level on the Aux inputs is very low but the MC input seems fine, although I am wondering if he should use the MM input? What type of input is an electric guitar? Pioneer SA9800 amp and Jamo 120 speakers.
Yes, I feel I should apologise for the blue, power LED on the amp. Many, many, years ago I built and configured AVI amplifiers and thought that the blue LED's they used were really cute, so changed the orange power indicators on my Pioneer amp when I had to repair/rework the PSU board on my Pioneer amp, as I though it would match the VFD display, before I realised it was a very different shade of blue. And, despite taking the supply current as low as the LED's could manage, it never 'looked' right. Yes, I will change it back to orange whenever I need to dig into the guts of the SA9800 again, but can live with it for now, just.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12D7uOisLCWN8Yk3cUlM58MVjKevNRcXT/view?usp=drive_link

It's half term here, so I'm performing childminding duties today. As usual the grandson brought up his electric guitar and, as usual, wanted to connect it to my HiFi, (as I don't have a guitar amp). “You've done it before so you should know what to do.” Plug in (to the TT Moving Coil input), and set the selector to mono, which he eventually worked out.
Is this the correct 'source'? The level on the Aux inputs is very low but the MC input seems fine, although I am wondering if he should use the MM input? What type of input is an electric guitar? Pioneer SA9800 amp and Jamo 120 speakers.
Yes, I feel I should apologise for the blue, power LED on the amp. Many, many, years ago I built and configured AVI amplifiers and thought that the blue LED's they used were really cute, so changed the orange power indicators on my Pioneer amp when I had to repair/rework the PSU board on my Pioneer amp, as I though it would match the VFD display, before I realised it was a very different shade of blue. And, despite taking the supply current as low as the LED's could manage, it never 'looked' right. Yes, I will change it back to orange whenever I need to dig into the guts of the SA9800 again, but can live with it for now, just.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12D7uOisLCWN8Yk3cUlM58MVjKevNRcXT/view?usp=drive_link

If you want an answer to a hi-fi question, you may get a wider response in the Audio thread section.

Grand-daughter number 2 arrives at 9:25pm last night. 8lb 6oz. Already home and will be meeting her big 5 year old sister later. Latter currently has been staying with us for a couple of nights and has no idea that events have taken a turn.

We don't have any, are unlikely to have any (both of the younger ladies have careers that they love), and, while I can appreciate that they can be a joy, I would worry about their future in the world that is taking shape. Perhaps I'm a pessimist, but the human race in general appears to be happily painting itself into a corner, and I find myself wishing the next dominant species on the planet better luck, and hopefully no intelligence. With few brains, the dinosaurs managed the planet rather well for 140 million years, we have made a howling mess of it in a mere million.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back