advertisement

Getting an old Bakelite telephone running again.

Can't remember the weight of the trim phone now Tony, I wonder how it compares to the standard 700 series?

Way, way lighter as the physical bellset made up a lot of weight in the 700. The Trimphone just has a little circuit board and a variant on the normal ear-speaker mounted in the base for the bleep.

The dating on the Type 10 and 12 dials seems really confusing. Hard to work out which belongs with which date-stamped phone as there looks to be a lot of overlap. Some type 10 dials are black too, which looks rather cool on a 300 series IMO.
I remember reading somewhere that because these old phones were originally rented out to subscribers, and remained the property of the GPO, when broken or no longer required by a subscriber they would be sent off for repair and renovation using whatever parts were to hand at the time before being reissued, so plenty of scope for a confusing mix of parts!

As an aside, when I fit the bellbox after building it up, the lead base then screws on to the underneath of the bell set sandwiching it between the phone.
Lovely phone you've got there. The only thing I'd say is, and it's purely a personal preference, I think the proportions just look better without the bell set attached.

Many thanks Mike, appreciated. Just looking forward to the final couple of resistors and screws to arrive along with the refurbed dial and we'll see how it performs.

And yes, I agree entirely with your point about the phones being repaired/swapped and put back in to use. Can't be many pre 1959 bakelites in 100% as they left the factory spec.

I do too Tony, however I've now lost 2 auctions for Ivory 300's with the bell on/off button. I think they are great looking phones.

Oh and watch Dads Army tonight........Mainwaring has a nice black 200 on his (the Vicar's) desk :D

You don’t now.

You can get Virgin broadband with no land line.

...for the same price as with one though...!

Nice one rubber, hope you are enjoying using it. Why do you need a modern phone to use with it though?

That is lovely, and being NOS I guess it gives a fair indication as to what the bakelite looked like originally. If the price was VAT inclusive I’d almost be tempted!

Advert says they've polished the case to a deep gloss so still not sure what original would be like.

Got it:

24709135577_65e6fe3d56_b.jpg

Pretty decent. Not over-polished IMO, nice and old too. Base stamp 47/2, handset 46/1. Handset cable looks pretty original, not modern replacement, which is cool. Type 12 dial, though not quite the phone pictured as a different drawer blank and no chrome ferrules around the cradle-rest plungers, but I've been offered £20 back for the courier blunder so I'm happy enough. All works fine and the bells sound great!

Glad it's arrived. Looks cool Tony and as you say not over polished and all the better for it. Looks a very similar finish to mine in fact. I notice it has the number only dial too. Is the drawer blank bakelite or plastic? When you say the handset says 46/1 is that prefixed by 164? As I say it looks great and very sharp indeed. Give me a call if you have my number still for a bakelite to bakelite chat and sound test:)

this thread is brilliant. I am fascinated by these, although I wouldn't know where to buy one and whether what I am buying is the real deal or some kind of frankenphone.

advertisement

Back