advertisement

General puzzlement thread

Assuming Christmas and Easter represent the birth and death of Christ, how come Easter can move about whilst Christmas is fixed? Was it some sort of early tax dodge?

Easter tallies with the Jewish Passover as that was when Jesus was crucified.
According to the Bible, Jesus’ death and resurrection occurred around the time of the Jewish Passover, which was celebrated on the first full moon following the vernal equinox. This soon led to Christians celebrating Easter on different dates. At the end of the 2nd century, some churches celebrated Easter on the day of the Passover, while others celebrated it on the following Sunday.

Jesus did not approve of tax dodges, render unto Caesar He said.

It wasn't until 350 AD, when the then Bishop of Rome, Pope Julius I, fixed the official Christmas day on December 25. Unfortunately Julius didn't show his working out on how he reached this date; some scholars later suggested that it was calculated as nine months after the Annunciation (March 25), when the angel Gabriel is said to have appeared to Mary and told her she would bear the son of God.

So there you go, be puzzled no longer.

When I open the window in my office for some fresh air, why do people stand underneath and have loud shouty conversations...?

026_04022014_08-52.png

http://viz.co.uk/714/

advertisement

Back