advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Octopus' fixed price was identical to the flexible plan. My concern was that there may not be an offer of a fix if rates increase; for better or worse I've gone the fixed route (although I do have a 14-day cooling off period where I could cancel if desired). At the moment the fixed tariff is 1% below the cap and according to MSE the cap is expected to vary a bit over the next 6-9 months:

vm4DYTQ.png

I think it's a coin-flip as to whether I'd come out better off at the this stage so I've gone with the 'known known'.

I think it's a coin-flip as to whether I'd come out better off at the this stage so I've gone with the 'known known'.

I empathise (and who wouldn't in this crazy world environment at the mo') and that predictions chart is interesting. Having had a glorious 2 years of settled and lower costs plus being bailed out by the gov't to the tune of £400 plus an extra £300 added to the existing £300 winter fuel allowance p.a. 'cos I'm a very senile citizen, I'm happy to rest on my laurels.

During this period I've had my entire c/h and hot water system overhauled with high tech. modern and efficient (hopefully) gadgetry. As the fix is more or less the same as the SVR (or was when offered to me in Aug./September), I don't think I'll be a long way out, esp. if our winter is affected by global warming as at the mo'. :)

Maybe, Bob, but as in the Syrian civil war, none of the potentially affected countries at present figure in having any sway over energy production or prices. Stock markets could falter a bit if the conflict hots up, but that's often a temporary consequence of hostilities. I think the nature of this coming global winter would have more bearing; wonder when the heating will be fired up here (and long may it last).

Well, the oil price is on the up today. Heading for over $100 I reckon as the wider Middle East becomes dragged in. This will also put pressure on general inflation and interest rates.

wonder when the heating will be fired up here (and long may it last).

Bit of a surprise as this balmy weather convinced me that last year the htg went on around now. Just checked and it was November 4th it went on for the first time here in Norwich so presumably last October was also quite mild.

Oil prices do react to outbreaks of hostilities, but I really don't think the recent retail rise (9p a litre diesel increase 30th Aug. to today) is a connected.

Just looked at octupus, hard to know what to do, we are coming our at 4.5k a year, fixed is same as variable bit of a bet I guess.

Just looked at octupus, hard to know what to do, we are coming our at 4.5k a year, fixed is same as variable bit of a bet I guess.
Similar with EDF, predicted cost is £3.66k the fix is slightly higher than the variable (£14/month). The exit fee is £150 so that’s what the risk should prices drop. I’m talking myself into the fix…

D'you live in a castle or mansion? That's over 3 X mine (3 bed det'd). Is that quote from Octopus or your current supplier; bit ambiguous there?

All aspects of service and price from Octopus has been brilliant for us for 4 years now.

Well, three years here but I share your sentiments; a highly efficient company and (almost) a joy to submit mthly readings and get the usage/credit statement within a day. I keep a log; useful for looking at previous years' costs/consumption and keeping tabs, esp. as we haven't fully tested our new boiler/cylinder/pipework installation yet.

D'you live in a castle or mansion? That's over 3 X mine (3 bed det'd). Is that quote from Octopus or your current supplier; bit ambiguous there?

Well, three years here but I share your sentiments; a highly efficient company and (almost) a joy to submit mthly readings and get the usage/credit statement within a day. I keep a log; useful for looking at previous years' costs/consumption and keeping tabs, esp. as we haven't fully tested our new boiler/cylinder/pipework installation yet.
Family of four, multiple PCs, 2 teenage boys, hifi every where, tumble dryers, washing machines, freezers, heating. It is what it is. Been with octupus a few years, our usuage has not drastically changed in 5 years.

Perfect timing for winter in Europe, and the cost of it's energy.
Plenty of reading between the lines available, surprised it has not made more mainstream news, but then, perhaps not with everything else going on.
Gas pipeline sabotage?

Tumble driers are a huge guzzler of electricity
I have managed to persuade madam to go outside or hang inside to dry where possible
I'm aware of the potential for damp and believe we have that under control
Another happy Octopus user here

Tumble driers are a huge guzzler of electricity
Yup! Think I had one once (when electricity was cheap; '80s)) but only once. Second only to a dishwasher (the electric one, that is) for unnecessary electrical usage. The first may be worthwhile in a flat/no garden scenario but a dishwasher you don't plug in is the cheapest option. Having valved amplification and CDP is unarguably crucial i.m.o., despite not being so good at drying clothes or doing the dishes.

advertisement

Back