advertisement

Full range loudspeakers i.e. Single driver...any love?

Interesting video, they all sounded good, natural rather than 'hi-fi', apart from that muddy 15" Tannoy, but the bass from the TP1 London just sounded so clean. I've just realised that I first heard TP1 corner horns in 1962...60 years ago! :eek:.

Is that the same Worden that did an articulated pickup arm back in the 60s?

Interesting video, they all sounded good, natural rather than 'hi-fi', apart from that muddy 15" Tannoy, but the bass from the TP1 London just sounded so clean. I've just realised that I first heard TP1 corner horns in 1962...60 years ago! :eek:.

Is that the same Worden that did an articulated pickup arm back in the 60s?

If I had only this video to go by, I'd think they're all fatally flawed. All horribly colored in different ways. Or is it the room? A mildly interesting but useless demo.

Perhaps the Tannoys would have had a fighting chance in proper enclosures.

40-D29-E2-B-FF5-E-419-F-BBA6-5-FDEE984-AA98.jpg

I’ve just finished these open baffle speakers using Lii audio Fast8 drivers… plus some ripole sub help

still dialling the active crossover in but sounding great

They are very 'direct' (literally, as there is no crossover), and on things like close mic'ed acoustic or female vocals can be downright spooky.

Sounding direct has nothing to do with there not being a crossover. It is the design of the complete driver and its increased efficiency.

If I had only this video to go by, I'd think they're all fatally flawed. All horribly colored in different ways. Or is it the room? A mildly interesting but useless demo.

Perhaps the Tannoys would have had a fighting chance in proper enclosures.
Well there where clear differences to me listening on my phone, I'll have a listen later on my main system to see what colouration comes across on that.

Sounding direct has nothing to do with there not being a crossover. It is the design of the complete driver and its increased efficiency.
Thats correct in my experence too. But some crossovers affect the sound more than others

A single driver makes a lot of theoretical sense, but in reality it is full of issues such as limited bandwidth, directivity, intermodulation, etc.

It’s easy to fall for the concept but its flaws will ultimately be too taxing. The worst part is that it will determine which genres one will enjoy listening to and that for me makes it completely unviable.

Woofer-assisted wideband makes more sense to me than single driver, either because directionality becomes excessive with "fullrange" drivers which have sufficient SD to produce low frequencies, or because horn enclosure size becomes too much for a living-room setting.

If I had the necessary wood working skills and tools I would try some 3 or 4 inch drivers, either cone or BMR types, in their own omni cabinet combined with infinite baffle LF enclosures.

It’s easy to fall for the concept but its flaws will ultimately be too taxing. The worst part is that it will determine which genres one will enjoy listening to and that for me makes it completely unviable.
IME true for certain older types, e.g. Lowthers, but not necessarily for newer designs from companies such as EAD, Mark Audio or Visaton. There is something very refreshing about the treble energy of a 8“ wideband driver like the B200; if properly EQ‘d, the „beaming“ can help with room reflections, too - without shouting at you.

Best,
Oliver

IME true for certain older types, e.g. Lowthers, but not necessarily for newer designs from companies such as EAD, Mark Audio or Visaton. There is something very refreshing about the treble energy of a 8“ wideband driver like the B200; if properly EQ‘d, the „beaming“ can help with room reflections, too - without shouting at you.

Best,
Oliver

How do you deal with the break up resonance at the top of the operating range? I see no alternative but low-passing.

b200_6_fs_0.gif

Like I said, some sort of active or passive EQ is necessary. In my case, 1.5mH/10R in parallel, in series with the driver, is sufficient.

not my measurement:

solo-20-gemessen.gif

Augmented w/super tweeter, they sound as good as they look. In my room, with my taste, high efficiency 10” beat all comers. Others can sound very good, but for the most relaxed, long term satisfaction, authoritative sound, augmented with a sub, these r the most satisfying. Nothing else sounds as pure and smooth, effortless. Hard to go back to multidriver crossovers…

PZI2ebl.jpg
yJEVzzP.jpg
3Bxjbi8.jpg
BOVi16z.jpg

advertisement

Back