advertisement

FLAC - any tips please?

Have you ruled out mains cables being loose, benefiting from being removed and put back, to clean contacts. Mains cables passing near other power supplies which create hum. Pulling valves out of sockets (if socketed when you look) and putting them back. Zero cost and get you used to your device.

I've not had the back off it - the whole set up was dismantled and set up in another room but the problem was the same. It's especially bad with headphones - just about tolerable with speakers.

I have tried some ripping software, EAC and dbPoweramp on a Win machine and XLD on my old MacMini and I cant say I can hear any differences.
However, XLD is miles ahead in usage. EAC was a pain in the a** to use, and dbPoweramp is in my opinion in the middle here.
If you are happy using XLD my advice is that you stick to it.

As others have suggested it is probably not the ripping software that makes the music dull and flat.

Hmm, reseated the valve and noticeable drop in hum - will have to try with phones when I get some next. Thanks for the advice!

If you have any contact cleaner try using that on the valve pins and sockets. I'm no valve spert but they get v hot and I think that speeds corrosion of metal surfaces involved. One of our valve experts may be able to add more.
Glad you got a result.

as maccavelli already mentionned - EAC is very good, if you want to pay few quids and have much more options and tools, than dbpoweramp is IMHO the best.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

yes I heard the same thing about dbpoweramp - looks a lot better visually as well.

Spesoft is a very simple freebir program that I have also used to converting to FLAC files. EAC / DB preferable though.

I was advised to put all my CDs into AIFF files on my macbookpro (+jk32)

They sound much better than the CDs played on my old cdx

I've just put a newly bought Flashback mini jack to Phono cable into the Pono & playing a FLAC of Buddha Bar. The difference is major league. It's extremely good.

I wonder how many reviews of the Pono were made on using poor cable / headphones?

The latest EAC is virtually one click and easy to use. However, you need to find a good tutorial to set it up first. Google will find you one. Once this is done you never need to touch it again.

advertisement

Back