advertisement

FLAC - any tips please?

theparallaxview

pfm Member
I'm setting up a digital network using a Nimbini for HTPC (which should arrive this week) for - video and audio and what to get some of my CDs onto it. Tried some experiments with XLD and the FLAC files sounded very flat and lifeless played off a Pono. That could be the cable which following on from previous conversations here I've ordered a new one from Flashback.

That aside, what other software might I look at and does the CD drive make a big difference?

That aside, what other software might I look at and does the CD drive make a big difference?

The CD drive makes no difference at all, presuming you are getting an accurate rip (I think XLD uses AccurateRip so should warn you if so).

I'd investigate the "flat and lifeless" thing. Does it really sound different from CD if carefully level-matched? If so, the DAC in the Pono would be the next place to look I guess.

Tim

EAC Exact Audio Copy, it's free software and is (apparently) the best way to convert CD's tracks into FLAC files.
Yes the CD transport should make no difference at all.

ps. I remember The Parallax View - good film

It does sound a lot different to the CD - not sure what to do make sure it's level matched. Have made a copy to iTunes using their lossless so will compare that too & will try EAC.

yep great movie!

Audio Note CD-2 for CDs - started to produce a background hum though. I'm using a Mac - have parallels installed but would need to reinstall Windows

Audio Note CD-2 for CDs - started to produce a background hum though. I'm using a Mac - have parallels installed but would need to reinstall Windows

Maybe you just prefer the DAC in the Audio Note to that in the Pono. Valve design, I don't know if that implies any coloration in this case.

Tim

I use dbPoweramp on Mac and only paid £32, well worth it if it does the job. I tend to try to pay/donate being a stupid sod.

Having said that dbPoweramp has just played up making very slow insecure rips on 1 CD (of a set of 2 box)

You are comparing what was a very expensive but excellent cdp against a cheap portable player :confused:
I suggest you borrow a decent dac and hook that up to your Mac and play your flac files back then see if they sound flat and lifeless.
XLD works fine and provides accurate rips, no need for any other software.

Completely different approaches - The Pono is a conventional modern DAC with good measurements. Audio Note liked euphonic non-oversampling R-2R DACs with high distortion

They're available as NOS - looks like a soldering job rather than plug and play though

http://tubezone.co.uk/product/6111wa-sylvania-philips-ecg-usa-tube/

Open the box and take a peak. This valve may be socketed. If so you just cut the pins down to size.

My bet is that the hum is due to the power supply electrolytic capacitors that may need changing or other caps around the double triode. Beware of high voltages maybe as high as 360v but possibly lower. Even when switched off!

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back