advertisement

Expert stylus

My NWA Geiger S re tipped with new cantilever is back.

Well, £500 is a lot I guess, but it sounds damn good to me.

Currently playing the 2012 re-release of The Colour of Spring. This appears to be a superb piece of vinyl BTW. Absolute silence on the run in, and a delicately detailed sound. Sorry, I'm poor at sonic descriptions, but I like what I'm hearing a lot.

As long as it lasts I'll be happy.

I've used Expert Stylus a number of times but decided to look elsewhere as the lead times were becoming enormous (three or four months) and I felt the Paratrace was wearing out rather too quickly. After much thought (and investigation) I decided to go with Goldring (who is actually just one, very experienced, bloke but working for them) and I couldn't be happier with the quality and speed of service. I went for a Gyger II tip (I was offered a number of choices) and was surprised to find it was quite a bit kinder to surface noise than the Paratrace.

Hello,

I am considering getting my Dynavector 17 D3 Karat retipped by Goldring.

Have you any views or anyone else with them re-tipping Dynavector Carts?

Q/ for YNWOAN, What options of tip were you offered?

Thanks

Simon :)

I've got a DV17 D2 without a cantilever, the problem is the very short diamond rod is a bit of a novelty. As far as I'm aware, no-one (not even DV ) will replace, the best offer is trade in?

I think you would be best to email or call them for your options. When I had a Ruby the stylus was pegged into a hole in the cantilever.

I've used Expert Stylus a number of times but decided to look elsewhere as the lead times were becoming enormous (three or four months) and I felt the Paratrace was wearing out rather too quickly. After much thought (and investigation) I decided to go with Goldring (who is actually just one, very experienced, bloke but working for them) and I couldn't be happier with the quality and speed of service. I went for a Gyger II tip (I was offered a number of choices) and was surprised to find it was quite a bit kinder to surface noise than the Paratrace.

Hi Mark
Having just knocked the ESCo-fitted Paratrace off my Ortofon Cadenza (Sapphire cantilever) for the 2nd time, I'm looking for other avenues, before I give up completely on it and buy a new cartridge. What profiles were you offered?
Cheers, Theo

I can't honestly remember now Theo - the Gyger II (I have now checked and it was a Gyger S, not the II) I went for, another fine line and an elliptical I think. Send them an email and I'm sure they will respond quickly (my emails were very quickly dealt with and the overal service was genuinely beyond reproach). I'm still delighted with the tip they fitted to my black Troika.

I sent Goldring my Urushi for a simple check -up before selling it. Cost £25 , was only a matter of days and is reassuring for buyers. Excellent service, nice guy to deal with.

I have had very good service from Goldring. Some years ago I bought a 1042, it sounded rough and crackly so I rang them for advice. Upon return it turned out to be a badly aligned stylus, they replaced it without quibble. More recently I got a Denon 110 that had a bent/misaligned canti on delivery (what are the chances?), I took it up with the retailer and had considerably more aggro sorting it out.

Ynwan paid about £350 for a new Gyger stylus and sapphire canti from Goldring, and the Goldring guy was actually trained by someone.

Ah, I've made a mistake - it's age you know ;) - I wrote earlier that I had a Gyger II tip fitted but it was actually an S. Ruby cantilever and Gyger S stylus £350 total (as sq says).

Not going to be using ESco for some rebuilds as they take an age and I would rather not make their waiting lists any longer. Soundsmith for me, the $ vs £ is in the £ favour right now so additional savings to be made on top of duties it's still cheaper than ESco, no problem with their work, they have re tipped for me for 20 years or so. Its a very small world though so as word gets about I am sure waiting lists will get longer, the time taken to retip is actually making trade ins for new and MMs with user replaceable stylii a viable proposition.

That goldring legacy looks tempting

Goldring won't tip my Art-1 unfortunately. I only want a tip, definitely not a new cantilever. Only expert will replace the tip only.

Goldring won't tip my Art-1 unfortunately. I only want a tip, definitely not a new cantilever.

From what I have gleaned some of these stylus are only available as a stylus and cantilever combination - not that that info helps you much - sorry.

There is always Soundsmith, or VdH, or ESCo - one of these guys may consider working on your ART1 (VdH possibly).

advertisement

Back