advertisement

Expert stylus

Why would you let Goldring strip your cart and rewind it with all new parts- it wouldn't be anything like the same spec as the cart you sent in. If you don't want it to be 'Linn', then fair enough, but it does seem more like a new cart than simply a back to spec Linn.

I concur with Spike: a very old cartridge would probably be better off for having a full rebuild. Also, for vintage Linn and most other 30+ years old cartridges, the alum-alloy cantilever/Vital sylus used by Goldring would likely to be a pretty-close match spec. wise and, thus, a potentially better option than those (more exotic ones) provided by alternatives sources.

Yet for many years Linn got them to rebuild the Troika as they do now?

Yeh but anyone rebuilding a cart other than the original manufacturer is going to make it different, even with the same armatures and wire source the precision will be different. I'd take a re-tip over a rebuild by a 3rd party, of course YMMV.

What i wouldn't be interested in though is a re-tip with more glue than stylus on it.

I realise that some may think I'm a heretic for my comments here, all I can say is that these are my honest opinions and I am so impressed with the re-built Klyde that I have just bought another (knackered) one that I'll be sending off to Goldring at some point.

Why would anyone think so? I think it's fantastic if there are alternatives out there and ESCo certainly don't need extra work; they seem to be snowed under. I've also recently taken the opportunity of purchasing an old damaged Linn cart so I now have a Karma which once done I'll rotate with my ESCo DL-103. I'm tempted to use Goldring for the work if their lead time is so short and it might give me analternative sound. I'm looking forward to reports from other Goldring users, particularly if AP goes for it as I value his opinion.

Cheers,

Nic.

sq,

The point is, Linn sent Troikas to Goldring for rebuilding. I'm well aware that Goldring did not originally manufacture the Troika. However, Linn certainly trusted them to rebuild them. It was David Giffin at Goldring who did all the work. As a conclusion I think I can trust both Goldring and David. Will it be an original Troika, no. Is an ESCO an original Troika, no. QED.

Unless of course the cart could be improved as in the case of the DL-103 (not that the high end Linn MCs are in the same situation).

Agreed about the DL-103, Nic. But wouldn't most people be having a repair done because they very much like sound of their cartridge already and it likely be of quite high quality with a high initial purchase cost?

Agreed about the DL-103, Nic. But wouldn't most people be having a repair done because they very much like sound of their cartridge already and it likely be of quite high quality with a high initial purchase cost?

Yes you're right. And if Spike is right in saying David Griffin is the actual guy who did the re-builds for Linn in the day he sounds like an interesting option to say the very least.

Hello Bert, thanks for the info on the Goldring repair service. A good turn-round time and price for sure. Iinterested to know what type/shape stylus (eg. Vital, Gyger I/II etc.) they provided for the price? Cheers, Keith.

When I had Goldring re-build my Klyde I asked what work was done and was told that they had removed virtually all of the insides of the cartridge and replace with brand new i.e. not simply a re-tip. So, I presume, the stylus type/shape would be the same as when the cartridge itself was brand new.

I am still very happy indeed with the Kylde, the more I play it the better it sounds in my RB300/Manticore Mantra (TT in 2nd system).

sq,

The point is, Linn sent Troikas to Goldring for rebuilding. I'm well aware that Goldring did not originally manufacture the Troika. However, Linn certainly trusted them to rebuild them. It was David Giffin at Goldring who did all the work. As a conclusion I think I can trust both Goldring and David. Will it be an original Troika, no. Is an ESCO an original Troika, no. QED.

If they are just swapping the guts over with NOS Linn assemblies then it's a Linn cart for sure.

Does anyone here have experience of his work?

I have had an Audio Technica retipped with a Fritz Geiger II tip by him.

I also had a Goldring G99 turntable serviced and a 401 serviced and replinthed by him. Excellent guy to deal with and I've been delighted with the results of every job he has done for me.

How does a retipped or fully renovated Troika compare to the original? Any other options than Expert Stylus?

Thanks

Carl

Carl,

I posted the following, which may be of interest, on here (http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47782&page=13) a little while ago...

I had my Troika re-tipped/new cantilever by Expert Stylus (ESC) approx. a year ago, and a Klyde (which I use in a second system) completely rebuilt with virtually everything replaced with brand new by Goldring very recently.

Expert Stylus took three months, Goldring took three weeks.

Expert Stylus cost £330, Goldring £250.

Expert Stylus rebuild is good, Goldring rebuild is superb.

Sound wise it took a while before the Troika sounded good, but it still doesn't sound as I was expecting/hoping it would. The rebuilt Klyde sounded superb from the very start and tracks excellently (mis-tracking being a complaint some people have made about even brand new Klydes).

Personally I will use Goldring in future because the outcome for me has been that having the Troika complete rebuild with new parts at Goldring will cost about 25% less than having just a new cantilever and stylus from ESC, and it will be returned to me much much sooner.

I realise that some may think I'm a heretic for my comments here, all I can say is that these are my honest opinions and I am so impressed with the re-built Klyde that I have just bought another (knackered) one that I'll be sending off to Goldring at some point.

If they are just swapping the guts over with NOS Linn assemblies then it's a Linn cart for sure.

I have read on lists (and possibly also in a hi-fi mag a long time ago) and have been told by a man in the trade that Goldring build the Klyde for Linn.

Seeing a new post prompted me. I have previuosly mentioned my Entre MC, which has been re-tipped four times ( I think...) by Expert. I've had it back since last August and it still sounds sublime. What a fantastic job they did, considering I bought it in 1978 ! Wyndam Hodgson told me on the 'phone it is still one of his favourite cartridges. I wrote a letter to WH to thank him for all he has done over the years to keep the Entre running.

I have read on lists (and possibly also in a hi-fi mag a long time ago) and have been told by a man in the trade that Goldring build the Klyde for Linn.

That could be true it's not from the same pen as the troika or Karma

advertisement

Back