advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

The LS25 has suddenly become very popular causing a few solvable problems in time.
So at this moment in time there will be NO UK retailers for EWA cables due to shortages of materials.
I am looking into the whole of the market scene, and the cables will only be available direct for a short period of time direct from EWA until I can solve the shortage problem.
Sorry for the inconvenience folk.

However MC5 and LSV are still in stock and as is limited run of LS25

Colin, you may find a few us on here to blame for that, singing the praise for these wonder wires .

By the way did you manage to solve the issue with the IC-25 interconnects.

Good new I have found someone I trust (fingers crossed) to make and sell the cable, so LS5 and MC5 and IC 5 is now available. Waiting on costing of material for LS25.
It has been a busy day and I was going to my mum's for a rest but it never happened.

Well, it's not a fortnight since I've had the cable, but long enough to decide that it's staying. It's got quite a few hours on it now, if that makes a difference, and I've had chance to listen to all kinds of music over several days. It's been a bit of a conundrum, though. Some things have sounded startling "different".

I listened for a week after installing the LS-25 without making any changes, then yesterday I started to swap a few things around. To cut a long story of experimentation with old cables and amps short, the LS-25 seems to let through more detail than the Chord Signature and in so doing emphasises the sound signature of the amplifier and the quality of the recording. On good recordings this is most enjoyable, but less successful recordings are quickly shewn up. It's odd how vocal lines can sometimes seem to disappear into the orchestral mix. Playing with the amp/cable permutations confirms the character of the recording, it's just not always so obvious as it is with LS-25 in place.

As always, pluses and minuses. If you like lots of detail and a clean, airy sound that really lets you hear into the orchestra and hear all the lines, this is a great cable to try. If you prefer a broad brushstroke approach and a warmer ambience, it's probably not for you. That said, you'll already have chosen your kit accordingly and this cable may just give you more of what you've already got; it just seems to get out of the way.

I notice from above that there is going to be a change in the way the cables in the range are made available. I got mine from Mark Grant, with his usual excellent service and 30 day trial. After putting effort into selling this cable, I hope he's not going to be inconvenienced by any new arrangements.

For anyone interested I have just put my 5m set of LS-V for sale in classifieds. I wanted to try them and ordering LS-XXV so these may suit someone looking to do the same without buying in at the new price, but like me if liked then upgrade later.

They may not move on, but I really liked them, perhaps not a great selling technique by me so much I'm ordering the LS-XXVs now :)

Anyhoo a near new, and run in set of 5m LS-Vs for anyone looking to test, buy or curious to give these great cables a go. (TQB USB up for grabs also)

I had been using Tellurium Black speaker cables for a few years and didn't see the point in trying anything else.
Compared to the Innakustik that I had had before, the TQ Black made the sound more articulate and natural.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine insisted that I should try the EWA LS25 also designed by Colin Wonfor. He was kind enough to send me a demo pair AbcAudio had sent him.

At first I thought that the LS25 were simply a better version of the original TQ Black... After having had them in my setup for a few days I must conclude that my first impressions were wrong.

These LS25 are way better than the TQ Black. Not only music sounds even more articulate, natural and effortless any "digital glare" seems to have disappeared.
When putting the Black back on I found music a little harsh and a little less interesting by comparison.

These are simply my listening impressions. I have no measurements, nor have I performed any blind tests.

This is a long cable thread!

But it isn’t necessarily about long cables.

Ba boom!

This is a long cable thread!

But it isn’t necessarily about long cables.

Ba boom!
Well, the ones that I ordered are 2.5 metres long.

Probably can't be considered neither long nor short. Would one consider them regular?

Yes, probably regular in size and exceptional in quality.

Ive had the LS-25 cables in my system for some time now. I’d upgraded from TQ black. I agree that they are much better. On a pair with Ultra black maybe?? They work extremely well in my Naim system. I’ve also added 3 MC-5 mains cables and a DIN to XLR from my hicap to 250DR. Every additional EWA cable has brought about improvements in my system.

I'm considering the LS-25, a 2.5m stereo run.
Alan has given me this info regarding the spades used:

"The spades have a gap of 8mm, and an overall width of 14mm. Each leg is 3mm wide and a length of 10mm (although there is a radius inside, the internal straight edge is more like 7mm)."

I need spades at the speaker end connecting to Cardas binding posts measuring 1/4" (.635mm) so the EWA spades used seem near enough, considering the radius inside.

My question is has anyone here got same size binding posts and used the spade connectors successfully?

Cheers, Steve

advertisement

Back