advertisement

Dutch & Dutch 8C - Where are they?

KWB1

pfm Member
After trying the Kii three’s at my place, Im interested to find out if anyone has heard or got hold of a pair - if so what are your thoughts??

I like the fact that they have a Subwoofer out

Ken

Still waiting for the first pairs to arrive, they have promised faithfully next week, they are based in Rotterdam.
Martijn ( D&D's designer) is a fan of subs but used mainly , I believe to destroy cancellations rather than add extra bass, the 8C's go down to 20Hz on their own .
Keith

Still waiting for the first pairs to arrive, they have promised faithfully next week, they are based in Rotterdam.
Martijn ( D&D's designer) is a fan of subs but used mainly , I believe to destroy cancellations rather than add extra bass, the 8C's go down to 20Hz on their own .
Keith

Let me know how they fair against the Kii’s Keith

Ken

The Kii's have adjustable bass output and fairly sophisticated contour filters, so they can be adjusted to taste .
Keith

Keith,

Since I've been reading and responding to your posts, this is (and I mean this sincerely) far and away the most anticipation I've had to any of your findings. There are reasons for this (predominately because I've found, previously, that you tout what you sell and explain how it's not even in the same game, league, or sport as anything else at a similar price level, typically for technical reasons A, B, & C) but suffice it to say I heartily await your review of the 8C's in comparison to the Kii's.

I trust you'll be 100% honest about your findings, and also I should mention, I don't care about how either of them measures. I care about how you think they sound in comparison.

Looking forward.

How is your search going otherwise Ken?

Hi Mate - Still nothing yet as I was let down by having a home demo of the Focals SM9/Trio6be

For my particular taste in low frequency wobble, I reckon I won’t be entirely happy with just a desktop monitor

I have since ordered a couple of BK Electronics XXLS400 - built to order to handle frequencies below around 60hz

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers/XXLS400-DF_GW.htm

I was going to pull the trigger on some very capable Kef Ls50 actives that I tried at my place for a few days - they were very very good bar for the lowest octaves

Unfortunately Kef are having trouble with the Wifi App at the moment with people experiencing problems with the wi fi crashing and therefore the speaker/sub settings are not stable - I will wait until I have confirmation that this is now fixed but am keeping my options open

KWB1 - from reading your posts I remember you found there has been a lack of the bass you have had previously? The Kii threes etc and others have a flat response. I have a pair of studio headphones that are flat down to very very low frequencies. When I first got them it sounded like there was little bass and I set up a target curve boosting frequencies around 60Hz and below to suit my taste.

What I suggest is you find if there is a graphic equaliser on your computer/sound card and adjust it like I did to achieve the sound you want. I suspect the neutral sound is not enough for those who like bass.

The equaliser looks like this
You would probably want to adjust the 34 and 64 levels, which corresponds to deep bass. The ones to the right is the treble, so if the sound is too piercing/bright you can adjust those.
Note the 34 and 64Hz levels are best handled by a subwoofer sometimes.

itunes_eq_580-100227285-large.png

Yes - I use this eq to tame a 30hz peak and to add a little top end with good results

Ken

We took delivery of some LS50s this week, they appear stable, via Bluetooth, wifi and via USB, I have been very impressed with them.
Keith

they appear stable

I was getting wi fi disconnection issues and so was other people - Kef are working on a fix - Its a pain in the axxx - I have no intention of streaming stuff from my phone to the Kef’s - just a direct link from my Mac into the Kef via wired USB

Im hoping they can have the Kef app available via iMac at some point

They obviously don’t have the same chrystal clear transparency of the Kii’s - those were frighteningly good in my room

The Kef’s are no slouches either and think they are on to a winner if they sort the App out..

I have the app on my IPad and it is fine, if you are going to connect via USB you don't need the app anyway once you have integrated the sub, I would use USB although Bluetooth is useful fort internet radio.
Keith

I have the app on my IPad and it is fine, if you are going to connect via USB you don't need the app anyway once you have integrated the sub, I would use USB although Bluetooth is useful fort internet radio.
Keith

No Keith - the Speakers/Sub setting would reset itself when the wifi drops out - Kef have admitted it and have been informed there is a Firmware upgrade this week

Hi Mate - Still nothing yet as I was let down by having a home demo of the Focals SM9/Trio6be

For my particular taste in low frequency wobble, I reckon I won’t be entirely happy with just a desktop monitor

I have since ordered a couple of BK Electronics XXLS400 - built to order to handle frequencies below around 60hz

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers/XXLS400-DF_GW.htm

I was going to pull the trigger on some very capable Kef Ls50 actives that I tried at my place for a few days - they were very very good bar for the lowest octaves

Unfortunately Kef are having trouble with the Wifi App at the moment with people experiencing problems with the wi fi crashing and therefore the speaker/sub settings are not stable - I will wait until I have confirmation that this is now fixed but am keeping my options open

Yes - I use this eq to tame a 30hz peak and to add a little top end with good results

Ken

Those BK subs should certainly fill out the bottom end. A good friend of mine has the BK Monolith, which is a monster but certainly sounds impressive.

^ I would guess that would be a f*cking no, either that or they have arrived and they are so damn good that Keith is just pissing all over himself and can't be arsed to talk about them. Oh wait, that last part can't be it either.....

advertisement

Back